Ford PremiumCare ESP and Premium Maintenance Plans

wlepse

First let me state...sorry for the long rambling post.

I know this is a contentious subject but I am not looking for reasons for or against the Ford PremiumCare ESP and Premium Maintenance Plans, I just need to clarify what the hell they are and actually cover. Basically it comes down to this: this is our first Ford and while we love the car we are apprehensive about the PTU, vista roof and MFT issues in particular. While we have never needed an extended warranty in the past we have a baby boy and are looking to purchase a new home soon. I would rather bite the bullet now and pay for this coverage when I know we have the money. I just know my luck, the engine and tranny will blow right when the roof leaks and the furnace dies. My original plan was to buy both policies to cover the Edge for 6yrs/125k miles, initial costs are ~ $2900 or $480/yr which seemed reasonable to me.

Anyway the first question is what the hell is the maintenance schedule for the 2011 Edge? The manual states OCI's at 10k or as directed by dash display. Well the plans I have seen listed are based on time, mileage and service intervals. If I pick a 10k plan per the manual for 6yr/125k but the vehicle suggests OCI's at 7.5k am I still covered to the full 125k? I have seen references to the services being limited in number, which is fine but no where can I find what these are and what they cover. In fact Fords own site has bad info for 2011 Edge maintenance schedule. They indicate the following: 10k cabin filter and oil change, 20k cabin filter and oil, 30k air filter and oil, 40k cabin filter and oil, 60k cabin/air filters and oil, 80k cabin and oil, 90k air filter and oil, 100k coolant, plugs, cabin and oil and 120k cabin/air filters and oil. This schedule makes no sense since it misses OCI's at 50, 70 and 110k and seems to have no rhyme or reason for filter changes. Also it says it covers wear items like brake pads, but what about rotors? I have seen some postings referring to only one brake job being covered, but does this depend on the length of the policy? If I choose to do this work on my own what records are sufficient to prove the services were done? I have seen some people (other forums) get denied since the receipts for oil and filters did not prove they were installed/performed on that vehicle.

On the PremiumCare plan, I was told this is basically a bumper to bumper warranty and that I should only pay attention to what the brochure says it doesn't cover. This just doesn't sit right with me, maybe it is the engineer in me but I like things to be black and white. If that was really all there was to it why not make the brochure that simple? For instance the MFT is not listed and one person at Ford told me it wasn't covered yet another said it was... What about the Vista roof? Or the complete AWD system? They make vague references to AWD but nothing concrete. Also it specifically states water leaks are not covered, but what about damage caused by leaks from a covered component like the vista roof? Also I have seen several posts and mentions to the plan being refunded for unused portion but can't find anything in the brochure. Anyone with first hand experience with this?

What I find most concerning about this is the lack of knowledge from Ford's side. The first person I spoke to was completely useless. She told me that OCI's were 5k and the MFT wasn't covered but said HVAC, NAV and stereo would be covered....when I explained that the MFT was the interface for that she just said oh. Then she told me to call Ford's warranty pre-approval line and I got someone that was super helpful but the whole experience leaves me wondering if they really know what they are selling. Or is it most people blindly buy these things so they don't need to know anything. Or is this another case of my analysis paralysis keeping me from pulling the trigger? :finger:

Premium Care ESP is the best you can get so don't worry about little things not being covered - you don't really have an option. You don't want a 3rd party warranty.

Ditch the maintenance plan. You can pay as you go and if you do part of it yourself you can save a lot. A lot of the cost is paying for the tech to do "inspections' at every service which isn't really necessary.

Premium Care ESP is the best you can get so don't worry about little things not being covered - you don't really have an option. You don't want a 3rd party warranty.

Ditch the maintenance plan. You can pay as you go and if you do part of it yourself you can save a lot. A lot of the cost is paying for the tech to do "inspections' at every service which isn't really necessary.

I definitely don't want 3rd party as you said...in these tough economic times even a company with good ratings may not be around for long...at least with Ford I have the best chance of it remaining covered.

As for the maintenance I would normally agree with you since I can do just about anything that might need doing but I still have two major concerns:

1) No where can I find an accurate service schedule. On Ford's site they miss OCI's and as mentioned above have no set intervals on filter changes. Also no where did I see info on differential flushes or tranny. In the Edge manual there is a chart that says OCI's 10k, cabin filter 20k, engine air 30k, at 100k do plugs coolant and possibly belts and at 150k do a tranny flush but they also mention a manual tranny flush (as far as I know there is no manual) and a timing belt change on a Fiesta???? What do I care about a Fiesta?

2) One person at Ford (ESP rep) and one online retailer said having reciepts for oil and filters were not sufficient proof should you have engine trouble especially if there is sludge. Since my last two cars have had some sludge build up even with regular (shorter than manufacturer specified) OCI's with synthetic I am a bit nervous. Granted these were both turbo charged cars though.

Since neither of the above are clear and Ford seems unable to make them clear I am hesitant. My original thought was if I get both coverages and anything happens it is on them since they do all the services too.

• Like 1

I definitely don't want 3rd party as you said...in these tough economic times even a company with good ratings may not be around for long...at least with Ford I have the best chance of it remaining covered.

As for the maintenance I would normally agree with you since I can do just about anything that might need doing but I still have two major concerns:

1) No where can I find an accurate service schedule. On Ford's site they miss OCI's and as mentioned above have no set intervals on filter changes. Also no where did I see info on differential flushes or tranny. In the Edge manual there is a chart that says OCI's 10k, cabin filter 20k, engine air 30k, at 100k do plugs coolant and possibly belts and at 150k do a tranny flush but they also mention a manual tranny flush (as far as I know there is no manual) and a timing belt change on a Fiesta???? What do I care about a Fiesta?

2) One person at Ford (ESP rep) and one online retailer said having reciepts for oil and filters were not sufficient proof should you have engine trouble especially if there is sludge. Since my last two cars have had some sludge build up even with regular (shorter than manufacturer specified) OCI's with synthetic I am a bit nervous. Granted these were both turbo charged cars though.

Since neither of the above are clear and Ford seems unable to make them clear I am hesitant. My original thought was if I get both coverages and anything happens it is on them since they do all the services too.

I agree with the don't get a maint plan, I've had mine for almost 10 months, it's been in for service once @ approx 10,000 ($60 CAD for the service, but was free for me as part of my deal)my next service was suppose to be @ 20,000k but i'm almost there and still oil life shows 47% left. So it's pretty much service once a year. If it's 120 a year for oil changes I wouldn't bother with the maint plan.. (yes I know other services still need to be performed)

M.

Well the quote I am getting for 6yr/125k and 10k interval is $1275. If I go by the chart in the manual on page 379 I would have to do the following in that period: 12 oil changes, 6 cabin filters, 4 engine air filters, coolant flush, plugs, belts and I would have to do brakes at least once. The only thing I can't do on my own is the coolant flush since I can't dispose of the fluid easily but most places would charge around $100 for that. The oil changes would cost me ~$30 each (5.5qts*$3.5+10), cabin filters (6*15=90), engine air filter (4*15=60), plugs (6*15=90) and belts are likely to be about 50. That comes to a total of $750 to perform most of the work myself not including brakes. Once you add in brakes we are looking at around 80 per corner for rotors and another 25 for pads. That brings my total to $1170. Now if they don't cover rotors the difference really favors the DIY'r but if they do and cover more than one replacement it really isn't a bad deal. Especially since I would have the piece of mind knowing anything is their problem, plus have a little more free time and I would be able to make the wife actually take care of her own car! I just wife I could find something in writing that states what is covered.

Well the quote I am getting for 6yr/125k and 10k interval is $1275. If I go by the chart in the manual on page 379 I would have to do the following in that period: 12 oil changes, 6 cabin filters, 4 engine air filters, coolant flush, plugs, belts and I would have to do brakes at least once. The only thing I can't do on my own is the coolant flush since I can't dispose of the fluid easily but most places would charge around $100 for that. The oil changes would cost me ~$30 each (5.5qts*$3.5+10), cabin filters (6*15=90), engine air filter (4*15=60), plugs (6*15=90) and belts are likely to be about 50. That comes to a total of $750 to perform most of the work myself not including brakes. Once you add in brakes we are looking at around 80 per corner for rotors and another 25 for pads. That brings my total to $1170. Now if they don't cover rotors the difference really favors the DIY'r but if they do and cover more than one replacement it really isn't a bad deal. Especially since I would have the piece of mind knowing anything is their problem, plus have a little more free time and I would be able to make the wife actually take care of her own car! I just wife I could find something in writing that states what is covered.

The reason the maintenance guide doesn't show a 50K mile service is that the only thing due is engine oil and filter and they want you to go by the onboard computer, not a set interval. You can get the oil changed whenever you want - they just give you 12 of them. You can do then every 10K or sooner.

I don't think it will cost you anywhere near that much to DIY but let's say worst case it's break even. Why pay all that money up front for stuff you won't use until 6 years from now? Just put the money in the bank and draw from it whenever you need maintenance? You can get interest in the meantime and you have an emergency fund to use any way you want. I just hate to see people paying that much up front for something they won't be using any time soon.

What of those costs do you think are inflated? 5W-20 rarely is on sale and if I am buying a PremiumCare plan I would only use OEM filters since I don't think it is worth the risk of them denying a claim for a couple dollar difference and just over 400 for all four corners I think is pretty reasonable. In general I agree with you though on paying for soemthing now that won't be used for several years but I am leary of PremiumCare denials due to lack of maintenance. When I did a search on the PremiumCare plan I saw a lot of people bitching about refused claims. To be fair, most people will only post to complain and often only tell part of the story. But when you see a lot of these postings it does make you wonder. If others here have positive reviews of the plan I would feel more comfortable doing these services on my own. As a side note the need for the PremiumCare plan was reinforced recently when a coworkers Edge recently needed a PTU replacement with 75k on the clock at a cost of ~$2k. He didn't have an ESP.

What of those costs do you think are inflated? 5W-20 rarely is on sale and if I am buying a PremiumCare plan I would only use OEM filters since I don't think it is worth the risk of them denying a claim for a couple dollar difference and just over 400 for all four corners I think is pretty reasonable. In general I agree with you though on paying for soemthing now that won't be used for several years but I am leary of PremiumCare denials due to lack of maintenance. When I did a search on the PremiumCare plan I saw a lot of people bitching about refused claims. To be fair, most people will only post to complain and often only tell part of the story. But when you see a lot of these postings it does make you wonder. If others here have positive reviews of the plan I would feel more comfortable doing these services on my own. As a side note the need for the PremiumCare plan was reinforced recently when a coworkers Edge recently needed a PTU replacement with 75k on the clock at a cost of ~$2k. He didn't have an ESP.

The only denials I've heard on warranties is for aftermarket mods of the affected parts or obvious lack of lubrication changes. Don't forget you have a 5/60 powertrain factory warranty.

I don't think Ford would charge you the same price for maintenance including inspections that it would cost you to buy just the parts. They wouldn't be making any money and trust me - they make money on the warranty and maintenance plans or they wouldn't be selling them.

Sounds like you want to "force" your wife to take it in for service and that will accomplish it. It's your money.

Trust me I would love the wife to actually take care of her own vehicle but we bought the Edge from a dealer around the corner from my office and as she put it "it will be easier for you to get service done." So I am just dreaming that she would do it herself.

With that said I think we may just go with the extended warranty and have them do some services as needed. If I am still going to have to be responsible for the servicing I might as well do it myself and know it was done right. Thanks for the help akirby!

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I guess it is legit, you're the second person to forward "floodfordesp.com"

thanks

I didn't buy from them yet but have spoken with them and they were very helpful and upfront. At the time they weren't able to help me due to other issues with Ford but that should be resolved now.

I didn't buy from them yet but have spoken with them and they were very helpful and upfront. At the time they weren't able to help me due to other issues with Ford but that should be resolved now.

Hi wlepse. :D In addition to Flood Ford, I would also recommend you call The Harold Ziegler Automotive Group for pricing. See this existing thread for more information, especially my post (reply #3) - LINK - Ford ESP Plan

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

• 3 weeks later...

little off topic My ford Edge is 3 years old this July. I need to purchase the ESP warranty. I can not find the website to buy them at discount

any help please?

thanks

Bill

You can try Troy Ford or Warrick Ford Dealer in N.J.--both listed on google under Ford's extended warranty. they have quoted me the 2 lowest. Local dealer wants $1500 for Premium Care...their quote is $1105 inc. 1st day rental option

• 4 weeks later...

I just surveyed the sites and, for what I was looking for, Flood (RI) had a better price than either Zeigler (IN) or Lombard (CT). In fact Zeigler had the highest of the three. YMMV...

That is what I found...but I think it might vary on options you pick. Also some of the sites play games by making you sign up and they periodically send out discount codes to bring the prices down but still for me Flood came out the best.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

When I bought my Edge I had a 2 year service plan thrown in as well as the 5 year 100k mile warranty. I have my oil changed at 5k miles and the Dealership hasn't said anything about it, they take it in and I'm done. My Edge has 16k miles now, I have had for almost a year. I received a letter from ford a few months ago about the MFT and SYNC stating they are now covered for the life of the vehicle, I got the same letter for my SHO as well. So far in my 2 year service plan I have had the oil changes, the replaced the cabin filter and all three windshield wipers as well. I asked about the rear wiper and they said don't worry it's covered under the plan and we will replace all three. I didn't know this when I got the plan, but it was thrown in with the extended warranty.

I received a letter from ford a few months ago about the MFT and SYNC stating they are now covered for the life of the vehicle, I got the same letter for my SHO as well.

I haven't heard about that coverage yet. I had received a letter regarding my 2013 Edge which extended the warranty on the APIF ( module for the SYNC/MFT ?) to 5 years. No mention about Sync and MFT being covered for life.