We all had that "first car" what was your first car and compared to today what do you think?

macbwt

I remember my first car I ever bought. 1973 chevy vega. 70 series wheels on the front with 50 series on the rear. That engine was so bad that I actually found other working engines and trannys kept two of each on hand so I could change out the engine or tranny when they blew. I must of went through a dozen engine and at least two trannys in that car. I kept used oil in milk jugs in the back just to keep her topped off and running. I also got so good at engine changes that I could come home friday after school and change the engine out in time for my date that night.

That being said I have never had a vehicle like my orange crush ford edge that I have been able to put so many miles on. The work the manufacturers have done with engines today is hands down a display of engineering and fabrication process improvement examples that can not compare to the old days as they say. The manufacturers have learned a lot about aluminum and steel combinations that have opened up many doors.

Imagine having a Ford edge sport with the 2.7 back in 1973?! Nothing would beat it and people would be in awe.

• Like 1

Mine was a 1975 Cutlass Supreme - baby blue with a full white vinyl top (obviously not factory - I found out why when I took it off a few years later and it was rusty as hell). I put wire spoke chrome basket wheels and small whitewall tires on it. Also had a blue velour interior. Total pimpmobile. Also a total POS. I replace the radiator (twice), water pump, timing chain, transmission, exhaust (tried to park across a railroad track at UGA and the rail caught the muffler and ripped it off), and head gaskets. Thieves stole my wire baskets and the center console with my stereo and A/C controls. Had to get one from a junkyard to replace it. They also took my dash mounted pioneer tuneup speakers.

Finally dumped it when I got a real job after graduation. Replaced it with a 87 Acura Integra 2 door hatchback (manual). Loved that car. Couldn't wait to get rid of the cutlass.

• Like 2

Learned to drive in an '81 Olds Omega with the 2.5L/4-banger engine. Team colors (burgundy/gold pinstripes). Pretty nice car overall, great for family outings, responsive with the pedal to the metal :) Only thing I had to do to it was the valve cover (or rocker cover) gasket, plugs, and distributor cap. Firestone tires, IIRC. Had room in the engine bay back then to work on things.

• Like 2

My vega was mostly my winter transport. My true transport was my Honda 750F super sport with windjamer and radio. I spent most of my money putting rear tires on that bike.

When I got my license we had 2 vehicles - a brown 73 4 door maverick and a 70 something orange amc hornet station wagon with plaid seats.

Let's just say I knew the girls weren't dating me for my car...........

• Like 1

I had the biggest bike at my high school that I bought when I turned 17. Let me tell you I spent many hours bailing hay/straw/rowing corn out of bean fields and detassling. I earned that bike.

I also had a hybrid street/dirt Kawasaki 175. It wasn't quite as fast as your 750. :)

Edited by macbwt

56 Ford Vicky. Red and white. Used to play bumper tag with it. Burned so much oil I bought in bulk (recycled oil). Ended up painting it by hand (with a brush no less). Brakes failed and ran into another car stopped for alight. Panicked, smashed on the emergency brake and hit the horn. Impact was about 10 mph so not much damage. "Those were the days my friend...".

• Like 3

My first was a 61 Olds Starfire ragtop. Really pretty with blue metallic leather buckets. The transmissions would blow about twice yearly. My father gave it to me. He once used it to pull a bush out of the front yard. He pulled the rear bumper off the car. I told him he had to fix it and he told me tough s**t.

I always kept it looking nice and sold it to someone who lived around the corner. It became a POS in two months. Never sell a car where you'll see it again.

Just a picture, mine was white

post-31363-0-16119700-1426629918_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulSchott
  • Like 3

Darn curbs will get ya every time. Which you and I have a lot in common. I hit a curb, road up into the grass, got thown off and the bike hit the light pole. Very similar accidents. Note: when my mother found out about my accident the first thing she did was go into the garage and check the shelf. She counted four helmets (four sons) which immediately told her that my pumkin was nude and now freshly carved.

I ran mine up on the curb not paying attention. Luckily I was only going about 30. We slid into a telephone pole on the grass. Only bruised my hip but broke the handlebars and turn switch. Only accident I ever had.

• Like 2

imagine the value of it today if you still had it.

My first was a 61 Olds Starfire ragtop. Really pretty with blue metallic leather buckets. The transmissions would blow about twice yearly. My father gave it to me. He once used it to pull a bush out of the front yard. He pulled the rear bumper off the car. I told him he had to fix it and he told me tough s**t.

I always kept it looking nice and sold it to someone who lived around the corner. It became a POS in two months. Never sell a car where you'll see it again.

Just a picture, mine was white

gallery_31460_642_239872.jpg

This was my first car. It's a 1972 Pontiac LeMans with a 400 CI and TH 400 tranny. It was my dads first car after he immigrated to NYC in 1970. He purchased the car brand new in 1972. It was given to me when I was 18. We still have it. Since then, the engine has been bored .030 over, original tranny has been rebuilt and beefed up, rear end was swapped out for a 3.73 locker and the car has been through a frame off restoration in 2003. Original odometer states 86,934 miles. The engine was rebuilt at roughly 78K. The paint will be refreshed this summer.

Edited by J0J0
  • Like 3

'63 Impala 327 convertible. Really nice dark blue with white top but vinyl seats are really painful when left in the sun with the top down. It even had one of those chrome luggage racks on the trunk - not that the trunk wasn't big enough to put several bodies into (for sneaking into the drive-in movie doncha know).

Followed by a '67 Mustang 289, a '70 Mustang Grande 302 and a '71 Mustang Boss 351. I laugh when people call my current Mustang a mid-life crisis car... I've always owned pony/muscle cars and besides I'm more than a little past "mid-life". :)

Compared to today? The Boss 351 was always a favorite of mine but I sometimes wonder why. It did the quarter mile in mid-13s, got about 6 mpg on premium gas, couldn't turn a corner or brake to save your life, and had vinyl seats and an 8-track stereo. My '11 Mustang is a 305HP V6 that does the quarter in the mid-13s, gets 29 mpg on regular gas, handles and stops great, has leather seats and air conditioning along with an impressive stereo system. I love it but I still can't help being a little nostalgic about the Boss.

Edited by TheWizard
  • Like 3

post-34359-0-78701400-1426698655_thumb.jpg

I was still 16 when I bought my 68 Firebird from a car lot. It had a 2.56 highway gear, a 350 2-brrel carb, and a 2 speed powerglide trans. It was not fast at all. I kept modifiying it , until I bought a rare 421 S.D. engine and a Mickey Thompson cross ram intake manfold. The engine spun a bearing, and I rebuilt it the right way. I put in 455S.D. rods, The engine was bored.120 over. I had the parts balanced, and my brother and i put the short block together wiht a deep oil pan and mallory unilite ignition. I ran a 456 gear and a turbo 400. I never lost a race on the street. Motorcycle or car....The car took almost 5 year to put together, due to money and work involved. Drove it on the street in the summer only. No windshield wpers or heater, No fenderwells...Very reliable above 45 degrees. No chokes :-)

• Like 4

First car: 1977 Cutlass. 260 cid V8. Stolen, crashed into a van, fixed, repainted Dark Cherry Metallic, was planning to put a tan 1/2 top on it and different wheels/tires. After someone tried stealing it again, I sold it. Was not the first car I had that misfortune. I had the same theft issues with a 1988 Caprice.

Favorites (Besides my 2008 and 2011 Edges):

- 2002 Maxima SE (Second car I ever owned with a sunroof and was PDQ despite a 4 speed auto. Burned brake rotors like nobody's business, though)

- 1994 Maxima GXE (First car I ever owned with a sunroof)

- 1986 S-10 Blazer 4x4 (Trust me, that 4wd system came in VERY handy during a Chicago Winter

Contenders for first car:

- 1974 Nova with a 350cid motor

- 1971 GTO Convertible

- 1970 Chevelle SS 396

- 1976 Caprice Convertible

• Like 3