SYNC 3 and CarPlay/Android Auto Information

I am perplexed by those people that come on here, and complain about not having the update. I get it that Ford should have released it by now...but you are one of the lucky ones. You found this thread. You can download the install and do it your self. It is not hard, and there are many of us on here that can help you through it, myself included. JUST DO IT! Enjoy it and drive on.

I am perplexed by those people that come on here, and complain about not having the update. I get it that Ford should have released it by now...but you are one of the lucky ones. You found this thread. You can download the install and do it your self. It is not hard, and there are many of us on here that can help you through it, myself included. JUST DO IT! Enjoy it and drive on.

Exactly..Just do it. I did and it's works fine.

• Like 1

I have the update, this is what I can't understand with Ford. It works fine so what are they waiting for? We are only maybe 1% of people on this thread and the other 99% are still waiting. I know I was promised by my salesman back in April of 2016 I would get CarPlay by summer ( 2016 ). With no mention of any cost

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been trying to install the 2.2 update on my '16 Edge with Sync 3 1.0. I've let the install run for over an hour a few times with multiple USB drives (64GB 2.0 drive, 4GB 2.0 drive and a 16GB 3.0 drive which my Edge didn't see). Each drive was formatted with exFAT w/ 4096 allocation unit size. Each time the unit says downloading/installing system update. Eventually I run out of time and have to shut the car off and try again later. On the next startup, I get an error saying "Installation Failed - The installation has run out of space or does not work with this version." I'm trying two new USB drives this afternoon.

From my research, it seems like people usually get this error sometime in the middle of the install, not after the car has been shut off/back on. Do you guys think that it's just a USB problem and to try again?

Thanks for your input - I appreciate it. It's making me pull my hair out to spend all this time in the car and nothing happening.

Master reset and another USB worked. And for anyone that is wondering, yes you can change the hub out before the software update and it will install successfully, despite the error that USB hubs are not supported.

Glad it worked for you. Yes, that had been proven before, but it is NOT the recommended order. Software first, Hub second.

OK, guys there are 20 pages of info here and I am tired of waiting for ford to send this out OTA. I heard ya all when you said "stop complaining and do it." I am ready. Can anyone point me in the right direction before I read all 20 page. I have a 2016 Sport, built in February of 2016. It has factory Navigation and Sync level is

SYNC 3 Software Version 1.0 Build 15139

Gracenote Version 1.1.1.615 (NA-0010)

Navigation Maps Version N/A 1 14

I am an android guy so no need to replace the hub.

I really would like to get Android auto.

All and any assistance is appreciated.

---------------------------

Checksum information

---------------------------

Name: SYNC3 NAV V1 TO V22.zip

Size: 1728118492 bytes (1648 MB)

SHA1: 38C41ECD34D85F4B69DCCAF0505CFA580A456E78

SHA256: 5C725E1E261CA59E6E643D3D4CDE1677D41F2A559448F81499 E342954C351B49

CRC32: 4F7B9C95

CRC64: 9451E65177117035

Make sure you have the same hashes when downloading and here is my link. https://mega.nz/#!GhZRyDgb!AAM04HkOIQK4Rq89gUffnOB95vCSNvQOyyq5tubBUss . Make sure to follow the instructions.

Malcolm

OK, guys there are 20 pages of info here and I am tired of waiting for ford to send this out OTA. I heard ya all when you said "stop complaining and do it." I am ready. Can anyone point me in the right direction before I read all 20 page. I have a 2016 Sport, built in February of 2016. It has factory Navigation and Sync level is

SYNC 3 Software Version 1.0 Build 15139

Gracenote Version 1.1.1.615 (NA-0010)

Navigation Maps Version N/A 1 14

I am an android guy so no need to replace the hub.

I really would like to get Android auto.

All and any assistance is appreciated.

I used a MBR FAT32 flash drive with no issues.

Good Luck.

Malcolm

EDIT: my mega gave me a warning so maybe my link is messed up. @Ray Health Jr also has this link if mine is broken: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxlap1Uv4Q55NnhBMjdEaUtfZms/view

Edited by rvcjew

It is used by databases to look things up quickly or in this case to make sure you have a non corrupt file to flash to your Sync 3 system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_function

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-1#SHA-0

I personally use this Shell extension to check them on my machine if your using windows. http://code.kliu.org/hashcheck/

Malcolm

Just read the thread from page 17 onward. On mobile can't quote right. Both of those links for the file are fine. Edited by rvcjew

Thanks to all of you that posted and assisted in getting this done. I was very successful on my first try. I am all upgraded to V2.2. I checked my Sync of the Ford site and it shows V2.2 so all is well on that part. I have been playing with Android Auto and my wife really likes the more gentile voice of the Sync Nav. The only difference I saw while using the steps that Marty Lyle posted of Rocketboot's instructions was on step 7. My screen never displayed the FORD Blue Oval even one time. Other than that it followed the process to the tee.

Thank again to everyone.

It's Apple fans who need the hub, not Android. I did the update and have android and it works without changing the hub.

That is correct.

For Android Auto to work you need the following:

Sync 3 at 2.0 or above. That is it.

For Apple CarPlay to work you need the following:

Sync 3 at 2.0 or above, and a supported hub. All 2017's come with a supported hub. 2016's you need to swap the hub out for Part # HC3Z-19A387-B

@Ray thanks so much for the links a few pages back, I updated my software this morning and installed the needed USB hub in my '16 w/o Nav and it worked like a charm. This is a great upgrade for me - especially since I don't have a native nav unit. Putting apple maps in the display is so much better than watching through my phone etc.

I did the FAT32 formatting of the usb stick, unzipping etc on my mac using OS X 10.12 and it went w/o a hitch.

• Like 1

UPDATE: So, I updated SYNC 3 to v 2.2 a month or so ago. Ordered the hub from Ford Partscheap on Saturday, it arrived today, pop out the old, reconnect and pop in the new. Badda bing. Apple Carplay operational. We'll test it out tomorrow on our trip to Chicago. It's just too bad Ford can't (or won't) replace the hub free of charge.

• Like 2