MyFord Touch V3.2

Ford IVT folks have stated this morning that the update on SMR is broken and should NOT be installed. They are currently investigating the issue and will give further details when they are available. Repeat: Do NOT install this last update.

SMR is down until 1pm EDT. Tried to go there earlier while reading this thread.

Its cause there's a Sirius trial going on, I think it ends Sept 11th, 2012 I haven't updated and all mine say Subscribed except radio, and yes the radio works, but tells me i'm unsubscribed.. I tried some of the travelink stuff, however most of it isn't working in the GTA. i.e. weather shows buffalo NY.

M.

Same issue in Montreal. Only traffic seems to work; no movies, no gas prices, wheather from St-Albans for me. Gas stations and cinemas do appear but no info.

Ford IVT folks have stated this morning that the update on SMR is broken and should NOT be installed. They are currently investigating the issue and will give further details when they are available. Repeat: Do NOT install this last update.

Confusing how people are reporting different install times, some with glitches some without, some having to re-pair their phone and re-set radio stations some not.

I D/L'ed the file pointed to by c_bova at the top of this thread and all still works fine post-install (45 min. in my case). It came from http://www.syncmyrid...datepackage.exe so how different can it be from the file others got through the "owners" page of that same site? And in what way was it "broken"?

Hopefully Ford will be more explicit as to what was wrong and how to correct for those that already installed the supposedly broken version already.

I think the difference in install times come from those who use the link I posted and get the update from their syncmyride account. The link I posted was the only way to get it when I posted it so if you wanted it a little early or didn't want to go to a dealer you could get it there. But now that it's an update available via syncmyride it seems that it just updates it rather then what seems like a full out install of the other one.

I'd suggest those who want to update now just get it from their syncmyride account and not the posted link.

Just to join the herd; mine's done. I had to manually start the installation process which took around 15 minutes total. Note, when performing the installation you'll encounter two reboots. Each reboot may take a minute before you see a screen; don't panic! Also, after the first reboot the screen states the install process may take twenty minutes.

I ran the entire installation while driving home from work. You need to insert the USB and start the install while in Park. The only problem, you'll loose audio and phone communications during the installation so plan accordingly. If you're driving by yourself sing a few songs; who will care?

Also on the install times .. remember there is a huge difference in read/write performance of various USB flash drives.

My install was good. I have to reconnect my phone (BT discovery) but everything else appears ok. Radio/Sirius presets were all intact. Temp was back on main screen. I saw one reboot but chose not to watch and did this while at work and just checked back on it a few times.

edit: my first attempt was via the Syncmyride.com for my VIN .. two files with not a lot of instruction on what to do with them. 1 cab and 1 zip.

2nd try was from the link from the OP, this one was an executable and created at my specified target (usb drive) the necessary file structure and when plugged in, it just worked. I'll have to try the voice cmds tomorrow and report back.

Edited by Tacyon

Just wondering how/where you heard this?

EDIT: Nevermind, found it. Here's a link for others:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?tsn=1&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb&tid=5938

Edited by joesworld

I find it unbelievable that this kind of total ineptness can exist at Ford Motor Co.

They've taken months to come up with a new software update that, from all reports, only changes the location of the outside temperature back to where it was originally.

Then they post the download and two days later tell people NOT to use it.

Having been in the IT field for 50 years, I can say that if the programmer(s) worked for me, they wouldn't any longer.

Ford better do something about this total blunder very fast or I for one will not own another Ford.

There is NO excuse for this kind of "support".

I find it unbelievable that this kind of total ineptness can exist at Ford Motor Co.

It doesn't. It exists at Bsquare and apparently Microsoft. It's all outsourced.

The ineptness at Ford was in picking Bsquare to start with. Apparently they screwed up the code so bad even microsoft is having trouble fixing it.

They've taken months to come up with a new software update that, from all reports, only changes the location of the outside temperature back to where it was originally.

It also contains a lot of bug fixes, not JUST the outside temp.

Having been in the IT field for 50 years, I can say that if the programmer(s) worked for me, they wouldn't any longer.

Again - they don't work for Ford and that's a big part of the problem. They have a contract with Bsquare and that's hosing them big time.

I can pretty much guarantee bsquare won't be involved in the next generation of MFT.

There is NO excuse for this kind of "support".

Can't argue with that. This is a huge fiasco.

It doesn't. It exists at Bsquare and apparently Microsoft. It's all outsourced.

The ineptness at Ford was in picking Bsquare to start with. Apparently they screwed up the code so bad even microsoft is having trouble fixing it.

It also contains a lot of bug fixes, not JUST the outside temp.

Again - they don't work for Ford and that's a big part of the problem. They have a contract with Bsquare and that's hosing them big time.

I can pretty much guarantee bsquare won't be involved in the next generation of MFT.

Can't argue with that. This is a huge fiasco.

Do the reasons that Ford pulled the update from SMR have to do with the installation only, or are there known issues with the updates it applies to MFT? The reason I ask is that I downloaded the update on Saturday, and the install process went fine - was even able to update my status on SMR to reflect the latest version. Don't know if it matters, but I do not have navigation on my Edge.

I haven't done the research yet, but I seem to remember some posts (you?) about a total rewrite of MFT.

Anybody have a status update on that one?

The rewrite is already out. It is the version without outside temp on the main screen. I think what Akirby may be refferring to is the next generation mft that hopefully will match hardware capabilities of current gen smartphones. The current system is horribly underpowered.

akirby:

Thanks for the detailed synopsis of the MFT issues.

However, Ford is ultimately responsible for the software "fixes" that are put out to the owners for their use.

It appears as though they have no acceptance phase testing for the software that somebody else is writing for them.

They are just taking the new code with the hope that it works and doesn't cause even more problems.

In this situation, Ford is the customer of bsquare and Ford as a customer doesn't even check what they paid for to see if it works before handing it off to us.

That is a very poor way of having any kind of computer code implemented.

Somebody at Ford is RESPONSIBLE for these kinds of decisions.

Edited by flightplannerjim

I actually got someone at customer service on this update recall issue. I was told that the problem is the installation of the update. I was asked if the update loaded and if the temperture was back on the 8inch screen. I was also asked if I have experienced any issues since the update has been loaded. I have not . I was told everything is ok.

I haven't done the research yet, but I seem to remember some posts (you?) about a total rewrite of MFT.

Anybody have a status update on that one?

The current version was advertised (or rumored at least) as a total rewrite but that wasn't the case. Someone on another board said the next version would be based on Windows 8. Ford hasn't announced anything as far as I know but it makes sense that they'd be working on a new version based on a new OS.

Edited by akirby