Took my sport to the snow.

A few months ago I went with some friends to Big Bear City, CA for a snowboarding trip. After trying to drive back to L.A. in my friend's VW GTI during a snow storm and since I plan to go snowboarding more often, I knew my future sport would need to be AWD.
We made the trip again two weeks ago in my sport. It was able to comfortably hold five people, all of our stuff and drove fine in the snow. Since I can't put chains on the 22s and since CA law requires you to carry chains in that area, I decided to get a set of KMC Rockstars with dedicated Bridgestone Blizzak snow tires. It was really interesting to feel the difference with the lighter wheels. My MPG also seemed to improve, but this could be due to the speedometer reading a bit fast. It ended up snowing over night so we hit a bit of snow when leaving. It was nice not to have to worry about putting on chains and to feel a bit more comfortable driving around town.
I just wanted to share my experience and I've uploaded some pictures from the trip in my gallery.
Thanks for reading!

JTB 20130220 0050

How long does it take to swap over the wheels? Or do you go up enough to leave them on all the time?

I wish I had to put miles on to see the snow.... Here the snow comes to me!

It takes about an hour to an hour and a half using the spare tire jack. I found out that there's an adapter so that I can use my floor jack which should save time. I'll see about leaving them on longer next season, but I'll probably only go up once or twice a month.

• 2 weeks later...
I wish I had to put miles on to see the snow.... Here the snow comes to me!

We have the same problem here, want it or not. We had 10" to 12" of snow and I was passing a lot of cars stuck on the side streets when I went to work. Got worried about my wife in her Edge, called her and she said it went great in the snow. She said she was worried at first but was soon going around people stuck in the middle of the road.

Yea I remember, I used to live in Pasadena. But it's reassuring to know that most of us on the east coast never change out wheels/ tires and do great. I mentioned earlier this winter that while in Upstate NY at my farm we got snowed in to the tune of 12"+ of new snow. Our driveway to the main road is super steep, and I wasn't real sure we were going to get out... Nice steady slow speed and the Edge climbed the hill without a hesitation. Our AWD system is derived from the Volvo AWD and it really seems like a high quality unit. It's never let me down at least.

As far as chains go, I always liked these:

http://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/Thule/TH02230K23.html?feed=npn&gclid=CPXViOWuhrYCFQSg4AodlwMAwA

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Good choice on the black rims for the snow tires. Kind of cool being able to change the look of the EDGE so quickly and to actually serve a purpose at the same time. The snow shots are great.

This will be my third winter in my SPORT. does very well in snow and ice pack. Best of luck.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

This post, and the pictures included, really helped me nail down what I wanted to do for my winters. I was finding it very difficult to picture what the rims and tires would look like from the tool on tirerack.com. And the 22's on the Sport were one of the big reasons I liked it so much, so I wanted to keep an awesome look in the winter. :)

So I went with the Rockstars just like dummptyhummpty with the same specs. So they are 245/60-18 as well, and I went with the Pirellis.

I'm in Oakville, Canada, outside of Toronto. I got them put on literally the day before a big storm. So far they have been awesome. We've had a lot of severe weather including an ice storm and they've made a huge difference.

I'm adding a few pics so others can see what they look like on my black 2013 Edge Sport AWD. The scenery isn't quite as nice as dummptyhummpty's pics but hopefully these help you as much as dummptyhummpty's helped me.

Cheers,

Mark

post-27985-0-31571700-1389661356_thumb.jpg

post-27985-0-40744700-1389661359_thumb.jpg

post-27985-0-65588600-1389661366_thumb.jpg

post-27985-0-33453500-1389661374_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Anyone here have any experience with a FWD edge sport in the snow? I'm currently in the market for a new car and I've found a great looking 2013 blue edge sport, but it's FWD. Living in Cleveland, we can get some nasty snow. Just curious how they handle.

We had a miserable winter here in MD and I got my FWD Edge in December, just in time for the onslaught. It handled fine. Of course it's not as sure footed as an AWD vehicle but it did the job. Never had an issue. Next winter I might get some tire socks just to get some better traction but I think as long as your tires are in good shape you won't have any problems as long as you drive carefully.

The biggest thing was making sure to shovel the car out better. Before, when I had an AWD Mariner, I would just drive right through it. The Edge might be able to do some of that but with FWD, I figured I'd just do a better job shoveling.

• Like 1

My AWD Sport handled this past MD winter alright -- not spectactularly -- but alright. Never got stuck anywhere, but I was left slipping and sliding a bit more than I was comfortable with on a couple occasions. Of course, I certainly didn't expect low profile tires to handle the white stuff too well anyway. It's definitely no Grand Cherokee in that regard.

• 5 months later...

New to the forum and want to ask a quick question. I have a 2013 Edge Sport with 22" rims (265/40R22) and I'm going to buy 18" steel rims for winter tires (245/60R18) and a new set of TPMS from NAPA (part #92-3304). SO the question is; do I have to reprogram the summer tires/rims again in the spring when I swap them out at home? I have read on here that some say YES and some say NO. If anyone that has done this with a 2013 Edge sport please let me know what I need to do. Thanks

I switched rims and transferred the factory TPMS into the new wheels. They did not have to be programmed by the dealer, they reset shortly after driving on the freeway.

I don't know how aftermarket sensors would work, but should be the same. I looked up your part number, and those sensors are about $40.00 each? You can buy NEW Ford factory sets of 4 on eBay for under $80.00 which include shipping. There are even better deals at times but even these are half what you will pay with NAPA, and these are factory OEM parts.

EDIT- Just saw you are in Canada, so don't know what shipping or other costs would be from the US sellers. You can check the Canadian eBay for the sensors. A quick check shows there are the same type deals in Canada, and even US sellers shipping to Canada. One example

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-TPMS-Tire-Air-Pressure-Monitor-System-Sensor-9L3Z1A189A-DE8T-1A180-AA-/141434803524?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AFord|Model%3AEdge&hash=item20ee2bd544&vxp=mtr

Edited by ls973800
  • Like 1

Call some local auto part places and asked on pricing on the TPM's 2 places asked if they were 315mHz or 433 mHz. How do I know what I have without taking the tire off the rim to see. I told them it was for a 2013 Ford Edge Sport with a 3.7L engine. Any help would be great as the wife is getting on my case about snow tire and rims.

Yea I remember, I used to live in Pasadena. But it's reassuring to know that most of us on the east coast never change out wheels/ tires and do great. I mentioned earlier this winter that while in Upstate NY at my farm we got snowed in to the tune of 12"+ of new snow. Our driveway to the main road is super steep, and I wasn't real sure we were going to get out... Nice steady slow speed and the Edge climbed the hill without a hesitation. Our AWD system is derived from the Volvo AWD and it really seems like a high quality unit. It's never let me down at least. As far as chains go, I always liked these: http://www.etrailer.com/Tire-Chains/Thule/TH02230K23.html?feed=npn&gclid=CPXViOWuhrYCFQSg4AodlwMAwA

Whereabouts in Upstate NY? I am in Wyoming NY, also known as The Gaslight Village. I have snow magnet right in front of my house....it really works too!