What have you done to/with your Edge/MKX today?

• 2 weeks later...

Turned on a setting in FORScan to turn off my DRLs on one side when turn signals are blinking.   If your Edge came from the factory with HID headlights it probably already does this.  If not or if you want to move some lighting functions around on the front of your car it's simple to do.  The full 'how to' is in the forum Mods section here:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PrinzII said:

Researching polishing out my B pillars

Researching headlight restoration

Planning headlight upgrade to LED

I watched about a couple of dozen videos for my headlights. Finally settled on this one as I've found Scottie to be dead on and I trust Meguiar's products.

He uses Meguiar's Headlight polish to clean fogged plastic and Meguiar's Headlight Coating to coat the plastic 2x year. (Only had the Meguiar's on for about 6 months so far, but am expecting good results). 

The important thing to remember is to reapply the coating at least annually. Semiannually in the southern states. More sun damage.

There are several videos pushing clear coat paint, but it was never made for this application. Would not trust it to last but a year (sunbelt) or two (northern areas). The coating the lens manufacturers use is a special paint, baked on using UV light. They make this for consumer use, but your still not going to get any more than the OEM guys get. (But you can get lifetime clear if you use a protectant annually).

I've also used 303 Protectant and found the headlights don't fog. I also use it on my wiper blades. Fourth year on MKX blades, five on the convertible. Still soft and pliable.

(I also use it on ALL of my outdoor plastic items and they have never faded). 

https://youtu.be/E9NP0_nF2ak

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PrinzII said:

Researching polishing out my B pillars

Researching headlight restoration

Planning headlight upgrade to LED

A retrofit I hope, otherwise it would be a downgrade in lighting

11 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

1. Wash

2. Dry

3. Claybar (upside of BAMR, you can skip doing the whole roof)

4. Wax  

I'm tired.  ?

No polish to hide the marring from clay? There is literally no visual difference when claying a car.

• Like 2

On 10/17/2019 at 10:03 PM, Xtra said:

With only 24,000 miles on my car I am on my 3rd set of tires!!! The canyons eat them up fast! The Scorpion Verde All Season tires the car came with lasted only 8,000 miles. I replaced the Scorpions with Michelin Pilot Sport 4S Summer tires and they lasted for 16,000 miles of canyon work. Could have pushed it another 2 or 3,000 miles but I cut a tire sidewall in a pothole so I just replaced them all. There are other less expensive choices available that provide good performance and bang for the buck but the PS4S tires transformed my car and I am a believer.  IMHO they are the best performance summer tire available for the Edge Sport or ST. The PS4S with my mods to the suspension work perfect together with great turn in and road feel. They have never just let go at the extreme and that gives me confidence to drive the canyons that are in my back yard. I will continue to use the Michelin PS4S tires until I can no longer afford them.

TIRE RACK TEST RESULTS

ROAD MANNERS & DRY/WET TRACK(COMBINED SUBJECTIVE OVERALL RATING) (Higher Number Is Better)

8.37 Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

8.07Pirelli P Zero (PZ4)

6.61Toyo Proxes Sport

7.12Yokohama ADVAN Apex V601

1.  In real world road ride ratings. The PS4S had the best Ride Comfort, Noise Comfort, best Handling and overall Road Rating.

2.  In Performance Drive Data- Dry Test Track. The PS4S had the best Cornering Stability, Steering Response, Braking Modulation, Handling Predictability and Overall Track Rating.

3. The PS4S had the best Slalom Times, Lap Times,  the shortest Stopping Distance Wet or Dry and the Highest Cornering G-Force of all 4 tire brands tested. 

IMG_2753.jpgIMG_2752.jpg

Before you drop a massive boat load of cash next time, check out the Firestone Indy 500's, used them in autocross and dropped about .5 sec from PS4's i had on the audi, and they lasted longer!  Did i mention they are also half the price?

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/18/2019 at 1:42 PM, enigma-2 said:

I watched about a couple of dozen videos for my headlights. Finally settled on this one as I've found Scottie to be dead on and I trust Meguiar's products.

He uses Meguiar's Headlight polish to clean fogged plastic and Meguiar's Headlight Coating to coat the plastic 2x year. (Only had the Meguiar's on for about 6 months so far, but am expecting good results). 

The important thing to remember is to reapply the coating at least annually. Semiannually in the southern states. More sun damage.

There are several videos pushing clear coat paint, but it was never made for this application. Would not trust it to last but a year (sunbelt) or two (northern areas). The coating the lens manufacturers use is a special paint, baked on using UV light. They make this for consumer use, but your still not going to get any more than the OEM guys get. (But you can get lifetime clear if you use a protectant annually).

I've also used 303 Protectant and found the headlights don't fog. I also use it on my wiper blades. Fourth year on MKX blades, five on the convertible. Still soft and pliable.

(I also use it on ALL of my outdoor plastic items and they have never faded). 

https://youtu.be/E9NP0_nF2ak

a) I am a HUGE 303 fan.  Been using that protectant since 2001.

b) I still researching my options (Replacing the assemblies is not out of the question as well due to one of them being nailed with a stone)

c) I am still considering the VLEDs Micro Extreme Headlight Kit (Higher output is necessary for me due to some of the areas in AZ that are literally pitch black)
d) The Off-Road Bar for the front license plate is still on the list.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2019 at 4:35 AM, Special_K said:

Before you drop a massive boat load of cash next time, check out the Firestone Indy 500's, used them in autocross and dropped about .5 sec from PS4's i had on the audi, and they lasted longer!  Did i mention they are also half the price?

My concern with the summer tires would be how well they handle rain and cold road surfaces.  Plus, parts of AZ do get snow which is no Bueno for summer tires.  

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 9:31 PM, Nick Halstead said:

A retrofit I hope, otherwise it would be a downgrade in lighting

No polish to hide the marring from clay? There is literally no visual difference when claying a car.

This may sound a bit extreme.  However, I'd also recommend claying the windshield, windows, and the BAMR glass.  If you think your paint's contaminated, guaranteed your glass is worse.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2019 at 11:51 AM, PrinzII said:

My concern with the summer tires would be how well they handle rain and cold road surfaces.  Plus, parts of AZ do get snow which is no Bueno for summer tires.  

they are good in the rain, 285's and havent hydroplained yet.  Lowest we had them was 30 degrees, they werent as tacky but still did the job.

These would be silly to have for snow, ice skates.....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just added a crankcase vent breather filter but I can only use it while at the track. This is no problem as is a direct swap for the oil cap and can be swapped out in seconds with no tools. I found it on  " The Ultimate 2.7TT Aftermarket Parts Thread! "

IMG_3136 copy.jpg

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 2