What troubles have you had?

I8ACHEVY

Got an '08 in Blue Ink. So far I love it.

Ā 

There's so many things I wanna do to it once the good weather comes back (approaching the home stretch on a Chicago winter).

Ā 

I'm coming up on 4,500 miles and I've noticed only one minor problem that is annoying the hell out of me. The driver's seat makes a really distractingly loud crunching/creaking sound...mostly when I sit back or adjust my posture. I'm 5'10 at 175 lbs. and my wife is alot smaller than I am. So, it clealy isn't a weight issue. I've tried playing with all of the seat adjustments and positions to see if it would stop, but it didn't. I'm hoping that it's a cold weather issue and it would automatically "go away" once Spring hits...I kinda doubt it, tho.

Ā 

Any ideas on what this crunching/creaking sound might be?

I was wondering what the symptoms of the failed ABS sensor were?

Ā 

I've had the odd time where my ABS activate under normal braking on dry pavement. Dealer said no fault found.

Ā 

Update on the ABS problems.

Ā 

Vehicle was still having problems intermittently and of course - no fault found when taken in.

Ā 

At Christmas I was coming up to a stop with the family in the car and the pedal went to the floor on perfectly dry, clear pavement This was the last straw.

Ā 

The vehicle put my family and I at risk for the last time. If it would of come back again no fault found I was going to leave it there and let my lawyer deal with it.

Ā 

Turns out an ABS sensor was bad and was detecting lock up and causing the loss of braking. Finally after 30,000 they fixed it or so I hope. Since the last repair the brakes have been ok but I'm still leary when slowing down and I know where the e-brake is for sure!

I am new to the forum and I have had my edge for almost two years now. I have a little over 18,000 miles on it without a hitch. Except for now. I too noticed the smell of burning transmission fluid about two weeks ago. Noticed the drops on my garage floor. I checked my fluid level and noticed it was low. Added fluid and made a date with the service department. The day before I dropped it off the trans started shuddering at low speeds and at higher speeds would drop in and out of gear. I would see my RPMs go from 3000 down to 1500 and up again. The dealer fixed the leak but did anyone check the trans for damage. No. It still running as it did when I dropped it off. I am going back to the service center and demanding they take care of it. I have had four Fords in the past 10 years and I have never had a problem with any of them. I feel this is unacceptable.

i've had my 2008 Edge LTD (AWD) since 30 JAN 09 where I bought it used (13 miles) from the dealer. great deal, love the car. However, my wife & I were on a road trip (<130mi each way) this weekend and I started hearing a loud knock coming from what sounded like the right rear of my Edge (particularly when I was going over larger bumps). It got progressively worse. on the way home i was hill control wasn't preventing rollback. We stopped (my 2yr old was getting antsy) for an hour and when reversing out I heard a whine coming from the back. when we started to accelerate onto the on ramp, my traction control came on (flashing) and prevented me from accelerating. very weird -> I had to turn traction control off to get home.

Ā 

Needless to say, I've got an appt scheduled tomorrow w/the dealer. Thankfully this is CPO & I've still got 1.5yrs left (and 15k) on the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Ā 

UPDATE : dealer fixed the issue under warranty the day I took it in. Turns out the bolts on the right rear wheel were loose. I bought the car used and have a feeling whoever had it prior did NOT torque down the bolts to the required setting. all bolts have been torqued down as per spec. no more issues.

Edited by TotMacher

• 2 weeks later...

couple things come to mind for me...

Ā 

- Vista roof takes forever to close as it seems to really have slowed down since a year ago

- The rims look like crap even though I only hand wash/dry the truck

- it tends to really notice the crown of the road and pull to which ever side has the most slant

• 1 month later...

I've had a 2007 SEL+ since October 2007. Awesome car for the most part. Only 'major' issue I've had occurred a few weeks ago. Without warning on a Sunday afternoon, the car would not start. It had been running fine that day. When I turned the key, nothing happened...no noise, no cranking, etc. Since the lights, radio, etc. were all working, I figured the battery was ok. Ford Roadside Assistance towed it about an hour later to the closest Ford dealer. The diagnosis was that the key was bad. The battery in it was fine but the car was not recognizing it. My spare key was fine. Ford got me a new key at no cost but could not offer any explanation how/why the key went bad.

Ā 

Fortunately that day we (wife and 21 month old daughter) were out to lunch only a few miles from home with her friend, so we got a ride home with her and weren't stranded. However, Ford's inability to explain how the key went bad and lack of assurance that it wouldn't happen again has caused me to now seriously consider taking the spare key with me if we are going to be far from home. Anyone else have a similar problem?

I've had a 2007 SEL+ since October 2007. Awesome car for the most part. Only 'major' issue I've had occurred a few weeks ago. Without warning on a Sunday afternoon, the car would not start. It had been running fine that day. When I turned the key, nothing happened...no noise, no cranking, etc. Since the lights, radio, etc. were all working, I figured the battery was ok. Ford Roadside Assistance towed it about an hour later to the closest Ford dealer. The diagnosis was that the key was bad. The battery in it was fine but the car was not recognizing it. My spare key was fine. Ford got me a new key at no cost but could not offer any explanation how/why the key went bad.

Ā 

Fortunately that day we (wife and 21 month old daughter) were out to lunch only a few miles from home with her friend, so we got a ride home with her and weren't stranded. However, Ford's inability to explain how the key went bad and lack of assurance that it wouldn't happen again has caused me to now seriously consider taking the spare key with me if we are going to be far from home. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Ā 

Have you been up against a strong magnet or a BIG electric motor lately?

Ā 

ab

I had the PTU leak as well on my 08 with 7500 miles on it(when it all started). Replaced the seal, then it leaked again in 2 weeks so they replaced the whole PTU. 1 monthe later it was leaking again and so they did another seal. It has now been ok for about a month and has about 9500 miles total on the car. I'm not confident that it is fixed, but will probably be OK until the weather gets cold again next winter (PTU leak problem appears to be more prevalent in cold weather areas)- luckily it will still be under warranty and hopefully they will have found a permanent fix for it by then. I really like the car, but I wonder about the long term reliability after it has been taken apart and put back together so many times, not to mention if the fluid got low at all before it was fixed.

I had the PTU leak as well on my 08 with 7500 miles on it(when it all started). Replaced the seal, then it leaked again in 2 weeks so they replaced the whole PTU. 1 monthe later it was leaking again and so they did another seal. It has now been ok for about a month and has about 9500 miles total on the car. I'm not confident that it is fixed, but will probably be OK until the weather gets cold again next winter (PTU leak problem appears to be more prevalent in cold weather areas)- luckily it will still be under warranty and hopefully they will have found a permanent fix for it by then. I really like the car, but I wonder about the long term reliability after it has been taken apart and put back together so many times, not to mention if the fluid got low at all before it was fixed.

Ā 

Ā 

There is a new seal kit and new procedure to perform that ford just put out. Hopefully that will help all the people that are having this problem.

There is a new seal kit and new procedure to perform that ford just put out. Hopefully that will help all the people that are having this problem.

No offense, but I don't put much faith in the new seal kit. I hope you are right and it will be a permanent fix, but the issue has been ongoing for well over a year and they've done 5 revisions of the seal including this one. I'm sure eventually they will find a fix and maybe this is it, I'll just have to wait until it leaks again to find out, and based on my experience, that probably won't happen until December or January when it gets cold enough again. The saddest part of this whole ordeal is that I have zero confidence that my Edge is fixed(I don't have this newest seal as mine was last fixed in March). I also have lost most of my confidence in the long term reliability of the car, but I can't afford just to dump it off for something else. I'm a hardcore Ford guy(not to mention stockholder) and don't want to switch brands, but I don't really want to buy another one in the near future either.

Edited by Primetime

No offense, but I don't put much faith in the new seal kit. I hope you are right and it will be a permanent fix, but the issue has been ongoing for well over a year and they've done 5 revisions of the seal including this one. I'm sure eventually they will find a fix and maybe this is it, I'll just have to wait until it leaks again to find out, and based on my experience, that probably won't happen until December or January when it gets cold enough again. The saddest part of this whole ordeal is that I have zero confidence that my Edge is fixed(I don't have this newest seal as mine was last fixed in March). I also have lost most of my confidence in the long term reliability of the car, but I can't afford just to dump it off for something else. I'm a hardcore Ford guy(not to mention stockholder) and don't want to switch brands, but I don't really want to buy another one in the near future either.

Ā 

Ā 

I was just letting you know to try and help. Maybe I shouldn't have said anything.

druck,

again I meant no offense at all. We need more people like you that are willing to help on this site. I am glad that you mentioned the new seal for myself as well as the many other people who may not know about it. My frustration is simply with the situation of having a new car that has been into the shop for multiple attempts at repair that remain unresolved.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a 2008 Ford Edge SEL FWD that we purcased in November 2007. My Edge now has 27,346 miles on it and we have had some warranty work on it. The cam sensor went out and while fixing that the mechanic found that my timing quide was also broke. Don't know how much all of that was to fix but it was done.

Ā 

I love my car and the only the only complaints I have is that the interior vista cover squeeks when it is not rolled and when it is rolled. Also I know we have put a lot of miles on the car but have rotated the tires as suggested and I think there is to much wear. Not great tires.

Ā 

I also wanted to know how often people change their oil? The book says 7000 miles the dealer says 3000 miles so I compromise and do it every 5000 miles and have them rotate the tires at the same time. I would like to hear how often you do it.

I also wanted to know how often people change their oil? The book says 7000 miles the dealer says 3000 miles so I compromise and do it every 5000 miles and have them rotate the tires at the same time. I would like to hear how often you do it.

Ā 

Gee, I wonder why the dealer would say 3000 if the book says 7500? Could it possibly be that they want to make more money?

Ā 

Do what the book says, not what the dealer says. If you feel better doing 5000 instead of 7500 that's ok, but don't do it because of what the dealer says.

My first oil change I'll do at 2000-2500 miles, which will be next month. It just makes me feel better getting the "break-in" oil out of there (break-in meaning engine break-in not some different oil blend). From there out it will be 5,000 miles, once again piece of mind nothing scientific.

Edited by hydro

Ā 

I change mine every 5000. I realize the book says 7000 or 7500 miles (I can't remember which), but IMO that's pushing it for a group II/III (non-PAO) oil.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

my check engine light came on the other day and it needed an oil change so when i took it for an oil change they checked out the engine light and came back with camshaft sensor bank 2. He then reset the engine light and said if it comes back on to get it fixed and it shoudl be covered under warranty.

Ā 

What kind of problems can the camshaft sensor bank 2 cause? I haven't noticed any change in the way the edge drives.

my check engine light came on the other day and it needed an oil change so when i took it for an oil change they checked out the engine light and came back with camshaft sensor bank 2. He then reset the engine light and said if it comes back on to get it fixed and it shoudl be covered under warranty.

Ā 

What kind of problems can the camshaft sensor bank 2 cause? I haven't noticed any change in the way the edge drives.

Ā 

I think it's used to determine the proper engine timing (when to fire the spark plugs and inject fuel). Worst case is the engine would stumble, run rough or stop altogether but that would be rare. As long as the CEL isn't blinking it's ok to drive.

2008 AWD Ltd with towing package - New. Replaced heater core very early after delivery. Year later limited heat, heating system flushed and new bits put in, works now as it should. PTU replaced a month ago, so far so good. Have a periodic high pitched whine that I am certain is the heater motor - still to be dealt with because by the time i get to the dealers it has warmed up and gone away. Service at the local Ford dealer has been good to excellent. Love the vehicle. Will definitely look at a 2010 or if there are no discounts for a 2011.

• 3 months later...

I have an intermittent issue that my 2008 edge wont turn over but if I try it again it starts right away i have had this happen a hand full of times can anyone help me understand this issue.

Ā 

Sounds like a traditional starter issue. Could just be a connection on the starter cables, or even battery cable. Easy thing to clean both(make sure battery cables are tight). If that doesn't help, have a local parts store check the starter. Hope this helps.

• 3 years later...

New hear to find out if anyone else has an sqeaking, rusty chain sqeal noise on their 2007. We have 95k on it, daily driver of 60 miles round trip

Ā 

Right rear bearing went out 1000 miles after warrenty, compalint to ford about telling them about noise for the last yr, no good, fixed at our cost

Ā 

Now a sqealing noice every once and a while not constant, not when breaking and is at all speeds. I crawled under near and thought the noise was from the metal guard that covers the fuel tank.... Can't find where maybe a rock is jammed in? ... Any other ideas.

Ā 

ford dealer said they only hear it when the brakes are used and want to do a full front brake job and turn the rear rotars, the breaks are in great condtion 6 and 8 mills, they think the shiny rotar is the issue, no thanks.

Ā 

We have not had any of PTU issues, but now I gotta check that....

Ā 

thanks

Edited by dangerous trebles