Burning Smell?

DJ Starr

Mine (2010 less than 1000 miles) rolls backwards even on a slight hill, and the transmission has slipped when accelerating from a dead stop several times. Common?

Ā 

Wrong topic, but rolling back on a hill when your foot isn't on the brake - Normal. All automatic tranny vehicles will do it - some just do it more than others. It's a function of the torque converter stall speed.

Ā 

Slipping when accelerating? Not normal. Get it checked.

I had the same problem, and still do.. I took it to the dealership, and the service manager went for a test drive with me. He told me that when the car tries to accelerate it downshifts to go faster. C'mon man, I am a female, and I may have boobs, but that doesn't mean I don't have a brain. Downshifts to go faster? when you are already doing 50mph. He felt the slip and said it was not normal on the test drive, and then when I left the vehicle, they called and said it was shifting normally. "Unable to duplicate concern". Their standard line to get away with not fixing it.

Ā 

I too had the double seal kit installed, after my car was bellowing smoke and stunk like burning rubber. I am getting a faint smell again. It was just done at the end of August. I had the car for 30 days and it went. I made my first payment on this heap of crap while it was in the shop, and will have to make the second payment with it in the shop again. I have made it clear to FORD that I am not going to be bringing it back 5,6,7 times. I will go directly to arbitration after the 3rd time.

Ā 

Go get your car checked out, but if you went to the same dealership you bought it at, don't go back to them, take it to another FORD dealership, GET MULTIPLE OPINIONS....

Ā 

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I had the same problem, and still do.. I took it to the dealership, and the service manager went for a test drive with me. He told me that when the car tries to accelerate it downshifts to go faster. C'mon man, I am a female, and I may have boobs, but that doesn't mean I don't have a brain. Downshifts to go faster? when you are already doing 50mph. He felt the slip and said it was not normal on the test drive, and then when I left the vehicle, they called and said it was shifting normally. "Unable to duplicate concern". Their standard line to get away with not fixing it.

Ā 

I too had the double seal kit installed, after my car was bellowing smoke and stunk like burning rubber. I am getting a faint smell again. It was just done at the end of August. I had the car for 30 days and it went. I made my first payment on this heap of crap while it was in the shop, and will have to make the second payment with it in the shop again. I have made it clear to FORD that I am not going to be bringing it back 5,6,7 times. I will go directly to arbitration after the 3rd time.

Ā 

Go get your car checked out, but if you went to the same dealership you bought it at, don't go back to them, take it to another FORD dealership, GET MULTIPLE OPINIONS....

Ā 

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Ā 

Ā 

I know you don't want to here this, and I'm not saying you don't have other problems, but down shifting to go faster, yes even at 50 is normal. Have you taken the car to another dealership for a second opion? If there truely is a problem the dealership should have no problem with fixing it. Also have you asked to drive another edge to see if it shifts the same as yours, if it does this is normal, if it does not then you do have a problem.

Well, I had my PTU seal fixed back in the spring, as it was making a smell once in a while.

No leaks or visible smoke were observed.

I had brought it in for its scheduled 16,000km oil change and mentioned to have a look.

By the time they came to pick me up a couple of hours later it had been fixed.

So all was great until 2 days ago...major burning smell, smoke coming out from other the car and tranny fluid leaking on my 1 year old $10k stamped concrete driveway. luckily i moved the car quckly and the sealer I applied on the driveway a month ago seemed to work.

So now I am parking over a rubber mat and will be bookng an apoinment to fix it again.

Funny how it started up the first night the temp dipped slightly into single digits (celsius).

iwill let you know how it turns out

Well, I had my PTU seal fixed back in the spring, as it was making a smell once in a while.

No leaks or visible smoke were observed.

I had brought it in for its scheduled 16,000km oil change and mentioned to have a look.

By the time they came to pick me up a couple of hours later it had been fixed.

So all was great until 2 days ago...major burning smell, smoke coming out from other the car and tranny fluid leaking on my 1 year old $10k stamped concrete driveway. luckily i moved the car quckly and the sealer I applied on the driveway a month ago seemed to work.

So now I am parking over a rubber mat and will be bookng an apoinment to fix it again.

Funny how it started up the first night the temp dipped slightly into single digits (celsius).

iwill let you know how it turns out

Ā 

Piece of Crap!

I know you don't want to here this, and I'm not saying you don't have other problems, but down shifting to go faster, yes even at 50 is normal.

Ā 

I agree with this part. It's a 6 speed

Ā 

Also have you asked to drive another edge to see if it shifts the same as yours, if it does this is normal, if it does not then you do have a problem.

Ā 

I disagree with this part. They all seem to leak, so by that analogy, it's normal to leak. I originally stated that mine slipped on acceleration from a stop and rolled backwards. I was admonished by akirby forr posting in this thread, but it was somewhere in here that I read of others having problems with rolling backwards on a slight incline. I want to add that since then I have not felt mine slip on acceleration. Maybe it was on a stick or sand or something.

Mine rolls back on a slight incline......No other car I have owned would roll back on such a slight incline. There are several TSB's for this issue which involve re-flashing the computer controlled trans.....I had both re-flashes done, and it did absolutely nothing. Dealer told me it fixes some and not others. I have learned to live with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I just spent the last few hours reading these 31 pages, and I'm bummed, (do people still say that?) about this problem still rearing it's ugly head for 4 consecutive years. But I'm glad I searched, and found this forum. I was going to the dealer tomorrow morning, to close the deal on 'just the right' Edge Limited, for which I have been searching for weeks. This seems to be a crap shoot, not only on whether any particular vehicle will present the problem, but also whether it will be permanently corrected. As much as I have been wanting to buy one, I think it is not worth the potential hassle, especially since I would be setting it up for flat-towing behind a motorhome.

Ā 

If I were to have a leak, it might be too easy for a dealer to blame the problem on me for not following Fords' flat-towing procedure. Sine I would be pulling the Edge as we are traveling, loss of use for repairs would be more than inconvenient. Sadly, I think I will pass on this, and keep the Jeep. I hope that Ford gets this figured out; not how to "repair it", but how to prevent it in the first place. Good luck to you all.

Edited by Will S.

I don't blame you one bit if you "keep the jeep" It really is a crap shoot as to which ones will leak and the ones who will not. This really is a shame, the Edge is a great vehicle and Ford is and will continue to lose potential customers due to not necessarily the issue, but having no fix for the issue in almost 4 years. BTW, I wanted a patriot, but the wife wanted the Edge........so we compromised, and got the Edge :rolleyes:

My 08 awd limited has 30 k miles NOLeak. How many edges are on the road? People only post when they have problems.I bet Les than 1% have the leak. I'm not saying it's not a problem, but I don't think it's as wide spread enough to not buy one. I agree it sucks if you end up with one but 30 somthing post? Again how many edges are on the road?

My 08 awd limited has 30 k miles NOLeak. How many edges are on the road? People only post when they have problems.I bet Les than 1% have the leak. I'm not saying it's not a problem, but I don't think it's as wide spread enough to not buy one. I agree it sucks if you end up with one but 30 somthing post? Again how many edges are on the road?

You may be right, but I don't like playing russian roulette with a 100-round revolver.

Ā 

BTW, I did go to the dealer yesterday, and drove the Edge Ltd that I was going to buy. It drove very nice (my first Edge test drive). But I still drove away in my Jeep.

Edited by Will S.

I have just under 15 turns on my edge, recently noticed a pungent, burnt rubber smell after I get her warmed up, say 10 minutes on the highway with even a hint of antifreeze or sweetness.

Ā 

Wife said she thought it was even smoking last night when she pulled it into the garage, but that could easily be mistaken since it has been fairly cold here. Anyhow got a service appointment, scheduled for drop off tomorrow.

Ā 

I checked the oil, no sign of antifreeze there, no obvious leaks or puddles under the truck, not in the garage or on fresh snow. Resevoir is fine as well. I suppose it is possible whatever is leaking is dripping onto the manifold and burning off? Anyhow, anyone experienced something similar? Just wondering what to expect early next week. I will of course keep you all posted.

Ā 

No it's isn't red, thank heavens...

Ā 

My PTU is leaking and will be replaced next week. First noticed smell then saw spot on floor.

• 5 weeks later...
My PTU is leaking and will be replaced next week. First noticed smell then saw spot on floor.

Ā 

Overheated, burnt or boiling 90 weight gear oil can smell pretty horrid, a lot like a leaking natural gas line IMMHO.

Ā 

Your PTU is leaking because that is the weakest link in the F/awd "chain". With the rear drive engaged on dry pavement the entire drive train can/might/will be under SEVERE stress. Components overheat, the 90 weight in the PTO/PTU literally BOILS, expands ovecoming the seal, and eventually the pto fails.

Ā 

Along with a new PTO you can expect a firmware revision to reduce the overall functionality of the F/awd system such that this doesn't repeat. In the alternative Ford may decide to use firmware modifications to simply detune/derate the engine, especially the V6, when starting off, "WOT" acceleration, from a stop or low speed.

Ā 

Mazda (CX-7, Tribute) has added cooling, engine coolant circulation, to their PTO so that is doesn't overheat.

Edited by wwest