New battery ( upgrade?)

fishx65

Any of you guys replacing your size 59 batteries with a 65? I'm due for a new one and was thinking about going with the 65. Looks like the 3.5's can take either size. Think there's any longevity advantages or just CCA and reserve capacity improvements?

Edited by fishx65

Yes I replace mine with a 65 and would never use the 59 if it needs to be replaced. The battery tray is the same size so I see no reason to use a smaller batter except to save cost. I have the EcoBoost though so as long as there is room with the 3.5, go for it. Why would you not want to have the extra capacity?

Most sites like Advance Auto list the 59 and 65 as an exact fit for my 2011 SEL so I assume there is room for the bigger battery but I have not looked yet. I did notice that my 2014 MKX has a 65 nestled under the hood. Probably gonna grab an Interstate 65 at Costco when I get a chance.

• Like 1

Probably more important to check cabling for wear/breaks/corrosion. Clean any corrosion off. Apply felt washers to the terminals or an anti-corrosion compound/"battery protector" similar to this:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/permatex-counterman-s-choice-battery-protector-09976/7730003-P

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/autocraft-anti-corrosive-battery-washers-2-piece-ac619/10200599-P

post-23566-0-28212600-1420887396_thumb.jpg

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I always get Interstate when it is replacement time. Best damn battery on the market. Period.

Pretty sure Johnson Controls still make the batteries for Interstate and several others including Walmart's Everstart line and Sears Diehard batteries. Seems to me the smart move is to shop by price and warranty if you're a fan of Johnson Controls batteries. Or maybe I'm wrong and they do indeed use higher quality materials when manufacturing the Interstate line.

As I said, my car came with the larger battery tray which I would guess they all do so for me, it is a no brainier to put the larger battery in.

If your only using the vehicle as a commuter car and all you do is drive it every day for a good distance and do nothing else with it, then you probably would not see any difference between the two. If the car sets a lot then the battery drain could end up being an issue with the smaller battery. Of course it still could with the larger battery but you have more reserve and can go longer with the larger battery.

Another example of the benefit of the larger battery is if you do anything like camping or something where you have the doors open for long periods of time with the lights on or playing the radio when the vehicle is off and so on.

Here is a post I did when my battery seemed to die overnight. The green indicator was still on and everything so as some suggest, replacing the battery was the answer. I haven't had a single issue since.

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/15548-2012-dead-battery-procedure/?do=findComment&comment=118305

Edited by chipworkz

Went to get a replacement battery for my pickup and was dead set on getting an Interstate...

A really really good friend of mine who used to work for our family business worked there took me aside and told me "DO NOT GET an Interstate Battery"..... "More than half of the batteries we sell don't last two years"

He recommended an Optima and thats what I got.

Cost more but had a five year full replacement warranty with it.

• 11 months later...