First Impressions of New Edge

tron1974

470 miles in 5 days and here is my initial impression: Great overall package.

Roses for things they nailed where it counts:

1. Interior noise is very low. People can hear me when making hands free calls.
  2. 2.7 Acceleration. Also impressed that it uses the AWD even in normal acceleration. The little infographic is useful for this.
  3. Calm cruiser. Available torque at low rpm keeps the trans from shifting under mild acceleration, even at 80 on the highway. I skipped getting a MKZ 2.0 in the same price range for this very reason.
  4. Dash cluster displays are very clear.
  5. Panoramic roof is a mood enhancer. It brightens up the darth vader interior. (please give me cognac next time)
  6. Real buttons on the console! Hope the trend continues until the knobs discover knobs.

Gripes:

1. Panoramic roof button logic. Jeep GC has this figured out. Ford solution: No express close. No ability to go from open to vent or vice versa without having to manually close it first. OK, you don't want to hurt anyone, but 12" of pinch clearance.... really?
  2. The touch screen response is complete garbage and the menus are not intuitive. Expecting next gen sync to fix this. Enough has been said elsewhere on this subject, so I can't say I didn't know what I was getting into.
  3. Lane keep assist. I don't like it. Not on low. Not on medium. Not on high level of assist. Not in a house. Not with a mouse. Not in a tree. I do not like it, now let me be. Same with the vibrations. When cruising in the RH lane and the white line breaks for an entrance ramp, when it sees the wide white line that comes after the merging area, the car reacts by steering to the left. Annoying. It makes me feel like a buffoon when driving. I will continue to play with it to determine if it enhances any part of my driving experience. At this point, it's a novelty. Look ma, no hands!
  4. Who came up with the left TFT screen menu mapping. How about just scrolling through the display options to see my fuel economy and not having to go back, then down, then to the right. Same with the trip function. Don't need to dig through menus to get to basic function. The speed limit sign on the right screen is cool, but it should be right next to the cruise control setting information.
  5. When starting the car in the morning, I have to reduce the temp down to 65 or lower. If I don't, within a few miles as the engine warms up, the Auto mode on HVAC is trying to cook me for breakfast.
  6. Ummm what's up with the tow rating of the Sport and the lack of ability to put a tow hitch on it? Doesn't make sense that the 3.5 is rated higher.
  7. Why did I need to get 301A to get factory remote start and why does the Titanium get a heated steering wheel, but the Sport not?

Who came up with the left TFT screen menu mapping. How about just scrolling through the display options to see my fuel economy and not having to go back, then down, then to the right. Same with the trip function. Don't need to dig through menus to get to basic function.

The 2011-2014 had a setting for "Memory" under Menu Control that when turned on will remember the last display in each category so you'd go to it directly when scrolling up/down without having to go to the right each time.

Just found this little tid bit....when using voice command to call someone and the ac is on max, the blower fan slows down when the call is engaged so that's hike you are in the phone it is easier to hear and be heard. Also when you disconnect, the fans spools up again to max. Very nice little feature that I did not realize. Last trip odometer has 2304 miles on it and average mpg is 23.9 which includes city, highway,lots of idle time, and over 2 hours of cruise control engaged at 82 mph. Not too bad I think, but it has taken a few weeks to get there as I have had my titanium for what will be 4 weeks this Monday and now have 4755 miles on it. I just used it to tow a pair of jet skis and had no problems with handling or power. It ran very well actually and felt like a v6 and was very stable throughout including turning at highway speeds on 2 lane roads.

For everyone who has not had the panoramic roof before, be careful as your wife or hubby will think that you are not working and just laying in the sun if you drive with it open as much as I do. I have always loved the roof on these things and wish ford/Lincoln would find a way to make it a manufacturer exclusive point on all their vehicles. I just turned in a 2014 Lincoln MKS and although it had the large panoramic roof only the from small sunroof portion would open up. Kind of a bait and switch if you ask me but this roof is awesome.

• Like 1

Just picked up my 2015 Titanium Edge a few days ago. I didn't have much time playing with it, but here are my first impressions (= subjective, remember):

1. 2015 Edge Titanium – pictures attached
a. 2.0 EB
b. Fully loaded minus the Drivers assist package 51D (I wanted mine in 2015)
c. 20” wheels, towing
d. Exterior: Magnetic; interior: Cognac
2. I ordered a Cognac interior, a high risk choice given the wide spectrum of this new color on the Internet, from fluorescent orange to dark brown; sure is a different color than the Cognac I drink! Bottom line though, I love it Edit: Notice in the 2 seat pictures how different the color is depending on light refraction? The most realistic color for Cognac is the headrest
3. Vista roof – seems much bigger (compared to my 2011); they made the separator between the front and back sections thinner and black and this I believe gives the impression of a much larger glass area
4. Securicode keyless entry keypad – looks futuristic, much better looking than the previous ‘bolted on’ keypad
5. Front seats provide a much better wrap around feeling (compared to my 2011 Edge Ltd); first thing my wife noticed as a passenger
6. Electric steering needs getting used to, seems very light
7. Brakes are a bit too sensitive, maybe this will attenuate as they ‘brake’ in
8. Vehicle compartment is extremely air tight: convenient for sound proofing, but requires a stronger push for doors to close (compared to my 2011)
9. Chassis more rigid (Fusion’s), but that translates into a stiffer ride, maybe this will attenuate after brake in of shocks
10. Difficult to insert the SD card in its slot in that narrow compartment, same goes for USB; but I can now insert a USB stick directly in that location without fear of breaking it off as was the case when it was in the center console (I used a USB extension to avoid that in my 2011)
11. What USB generation (1.2.3) are these ports? Nowhere documented
12. Are the USB ports fast charging? Nowhere documented, although we’ve heard they now are
13. Central console storage compartment needs getting used to with dual type of opening (with or without the top tray); cool though
14. Since my first Edge in 2008, I always felt the documentation for programming the HomeLinc is confusing
a. Why do I have to program the car button with an existing remote, then program the car button to the door opener?
b. Is it obvious that you need to do both operations, especially since you managed to operate the garage door in the first step?
15. Rear cargo area – seems so much bigger, I wish I had measured my 2011 to compare
16. What is that latch-like thing underneath the cargo flat hard cover?
17. 110V 150w plug – now I can sell my bulky ’12 to 110’ converter
18. Heated steering wheel: why not imbed a sensor and have the steering wheel heat come on when its temperature is below a set temperature (defined in driver settings) ?
19. Why is the “kick in and out” to open the rear so unreliable? And I know it’s not just me: I’ve seen countless reviews where it’s a hit and miss
20. With this move to LED lighting all around, why hold on to the incandescent lights just for the front turn signals? While we’re at it, why not introduce the LED or even laser headlamps? Isn’t this a technology car right on the edge?
21. How does one find out what that button is, on the console, rear of the Parking aid button? After a long reading, it appears that it’s the Parking aid switch, which I assume disables all obstacle warnings
22. Active grille shutter system ?
a. Source book says it’s optional on all models but the Sport where it’s standard
b. Order guide says it’s standard on all models
23. Cooled front seats – I wish I had those before on those long 600 miles a day trips; sure, you have AC, but those leather seats keep your butt in an uncomfortable sensation of heat & sweat
24. Remote start – finally a 2-way system, so you get visual confirmation on the remote that the thing did start in that -40°C weather (for some of us)
25. Wiper stick – getting pretty loaded and complex to remember what does what
26. User manual (2014/12 edition) – so many contradictions and false statements, needs a lot or update work; ex: mention of Power steering fluid symbol while the thing is electric
27. Compass on right info display – why did they shrink it (compared to 2011) ?

post-4916-0-00093700-1431636665_thumb.jpg

post-4916-0-28491900-1431636679_thumb.jpg

post-4916-0-94611400-1431636691_thumb.jpg

post-4916-0-04750000-1431636704_thumb.jpg

Edited by cv27
  • Like 4

I noticed in my auto liftgate to make the "kick" of my foot work that it works when I kick straight under the bumper right next to my trailer hitch, not wave my foot side to side don't know if that helps, but mine is very consistent when I do that

• Like 1

Yes, the manual does warn not to sway sideways. I still can't get the hang of it so that it consistently opens or closes. I'll have to look underneath to see where the sensor is.

Try going slower and aim your foot just behind the bumper a few inches not all the way under.

More reviews/observations:

2015 Ford Edge Titanium Bronze Fire w/ Ebony Black

Dealer: only $75 DOC fee and only 1.9 miles upon possession -- good and good.

USB does charge my iPhone when car is on, not sure about when car is off (manual says not to, could drain the battery.)

Storage: small 'tray' by door sill; room for a flashlight. Flip-door in front of shifter will always be open to hold phone, etc.

No longer storage under rear seats, will stay cleaner this way tho. Glove box and center console are smaller than 2008.

Wind noise from driver's window this morning. ?

Rims: new style is fine, but not very shiny, like true chrome.

Not a SPORT so I got heating steering wheel-yeh!, but dual exhaust is round, and not as integrated as the Sport.

Left Information screen: sooo much buried in here and the .PDF manual isn't laid out very well; will take more time...

No problem doing ambient lighting, garage door opener or wallpaper pic's from SD card and radio presets (Don't use AST).

Need to figure out : Key FOB/ MyKey/memory seats, and overhead console buttons--can't be any worse than 2008's.

Hands-free lift gate: Thanks for all the help! I finally got it to work. Left or right side of hitch receiver, straight under till my ankle about touches, and kinda quickly. My dealer said I wouldn't have this with a hitch in the way--I'll have to go show him! I looked underneath but no visible sensors.

In the spare tire area there is a hook on the underside of the carpeted mat. Remove the hook with the tether and hook to the upper rubber gasket to hold the mat up. See pic.

post-34260-0-18485800-1431702786_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

More reviews/observations:

... Rims: new style is fine, but not very shiny, like true chrome. Standards or 20" ?

... Hands-free lift gate: ... I looked underneath but no visible sensors. I also had a quick peek, nothing obvious, wish I knew, it would probably be less of a hit & miss

In the spare tire area there is a hook on the underside of the carpeted mat. Remove the hook with the tether and hook to the upper rubber gasket to hold the mat up. Thanks, mystery solved for me

Cv27, congratulations! I like the color combination, very sharp.

Thanks. I understand some people won't be crazy of the Cognac interior but we just love it. Before getting it, I thought the mix of interior colors (ceramic, black, Cognac) would be overload, but the Cognac blends easily with the ceramic and black.

I noticed in my auto liftgate to make the "kick" of my foot work that it works when I kick straight under the bumper right next to my trailer hitch, not wave my foot side to side don't know if that helps, but mine is very consistent when I do that

Try going slower and aim your foot just behind the bumper a few inches not all the way under.

Thanks guys. I have tried every approach possible and it's still hit & miss (1 hit over 4-5 attempts). I don't think it's supposed to be this hard to get the hang of it.

Does anybody have the schematics on this sensor, especially where it's hiding?

Thanks guys. I have tried every approach possible and it's still hit & miss (1 hit over 4-5 attempts). I don't think it's supposed to be this hard to get the hang of it.

Does anybody have the schematics on this sensor, especially where it's hiding?

Good question. Because I was under the vehicle yesterday looking for it with no luck.

My liftgate works fine and is pretty sensitive. I was applying some trim/tire guard to the rear valance with my fob in my pocket, and it kept triggering the liftgate. I have the Sport with no hitch.

rmmick, does the tow package comes with a wiring harness for lights and electric brakes on traliers?

Edited by alzakx

cv27: I got standard 19" rims/tires; so would be sportier with a larger size.

Someone mentioned "surround" vs "stereo" for the radio. Surround is much better! (Thanks)

On the left information center: I wanted the digital speedometer, and my husband wanted the tach. I've settled on the tach since the speed is digitally displayed when I have the cruise set, which is all I wanted anyway. (He didn't care for the vertical tach, can't blame him.)

Good question. Because I was under the vehicle yesterday looking for it with no luck.

My liftgate works fine and is pretty sensitive. I was applying some trim/tire guard to the rear valance with my fob in my pocket, and it kept triggering the liftgate. I have the Sport with no hitch.

The 2 sensors (upper and lower) are located behind the bumper cover and are long and flat that cover most of the width of the bumper area.

• Like 1

Go to www.extremetech.com and search for lift gate, then click on the article Hands-on: Wii-like sensor... I think you'll find it interesting. There is also a diagram that makes sense with Magnetic Edges post about the sensors being long and flat.

Extremely interesting ;) , thanks.

They are capacitive sensors.

I'm getting obsessed with this. So I (think I) understand the sensors 'sensing' a conductive body coming into the sensors' field. But I can't grasp how the kick in and out is detected. Help me, help me escape...