First Impressions of New Edge

tron1974

Wikipedia: In electrical engineering, CAPACITIVE SENSING is a technology, based on capacitive coupling, that takes human body capacitance as input. Capacitive sensors detect anything that is conductive or has a dielectric different from that of air.

According to my son, who is a gamer, said this can't be exactly like the Wii gaming system (as the article eluded to) since the person holds a remote in their hand that's sensed by the Wii unit. Maybe our Edge is more like the Kinect that came with the Xbox where the bar 'read' our body movements, since it's our human body being sensed be the vehicle's sensors.

In my mind, I view our shin and our foot as completing the electrical circuit, which takes both sensors being activated at the same time to accomplish. (Boy it's scary when others have as inquisitive mind as me!)

Wikipedia: In electrical engineering, CAPACITIVE SENSING is a technology, based on capacitive coupling, that takes human body capacitance as input. Capacitive sensors detect anything that is conductive or has a dielectric different from that of air.

According to my son, who is a gamer, said this can't be exactly like the Wii gaming system (as the article eluded to) since the person holds a remote in their hand that's sensed by the Wii unit. Maybe our Edge is more like the Kinect that came with the Xbox where the bar 'read' our body movements, since it's our human body being sensed be the vehicle's sensors.

In my mind, I view our shin and our foot as completing the electrical circuit, which takes both sensors being activated at the same time to accomplish. (Boy it's scary when others have as inquisitive mind as me!)

Go to www.extremetech.com and search for lift gate, then click on the article Hands-on: Wii-like sensor... I think you'll find it interesting. There is also a diagram that makes sense with Magnetic Edges post about the sensors being long and flat.

Great article. Link for ease of use:

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/130852-hands-on-wii-like-sensor-plus-a-gentle-kick-opens-ford-escapes-liftgate

FYI: I had to sit on a towel on my black leather seat this morning because I'm wearing my 'blingy' jeans.

Gem stones and metal accents will wreck havoc on car seats! Beware of what the women in your lives are wearing before they sit down:)

(You probably all know this, but thought a reminder won't hurt.)

• Like 2

Just a "Quick Hit" and will follow with more details:

2015 Titanium. 4 Cyl 2WD, Bronze Fire.

Purchased on a business trip in Virginia 2 weeks ago. Drove it for business and pleasure and am now driving it back to Texas.

- Absolutely Love It!

- Currently about 2000 miles.

- Good News: Gas Mileage traveling at about 70 MPH through hills of Kentucky (A/C ON) about 28 MPG with 2 passengers and luggage. Seems to do better when flatter and a bit slower. I'm impressed with the MPG considering terrain and I'm still breaking in the car.

- I have sync on my Ford C-Max Energi and am already familiar. It works about "as good as it gets" with the current version of Sync. No major reboots or failures. It gets the job done.

- Lane Keeper is OK, but it is a strange feeling when it tries to guide you back into your lane. I am leaving it on "Medium- Notify" only.

- Auto Tailgate: Works with the trailer hitch, but seems a bit fussy. See other posts.

- Most Thrilling Moment: Semi in front of us going 70 MPH blew a rear trailer tire. Sounded like a gunshot! Managed to dodge tire shrapnel for about 1/2 mile. It was great to have the tire pressure monitors show the pressure of each tire. I watched it for several minutes to make sure that I hadn't picked up a bunch of shrapnel.

- Needs Improvement: The angle of the screen on the MFT produces a lot of glare. Have already had to clean it a couple of times to see past the finger prints.

- Seat coolers are a bit tepid for me. Not real strong. Cooling seems to be in in the seat, not in the back.

For those considering the new EcoBoost, it is performing well for me... Attached is a picture of the instrument cluster on my Ti AWD while cruising on a flat section of highway at 77 MPH. Notice the low RPM and 25.8 MPG fuel ecomony. Ran about 80 miles for this result in rolling highway terrain, along with about 7 miles of city driving, and a stop at a drive-thru. Very impressive IMHO and not too far off the estimated 28 MPG which I would probably achieve at a lower speed... I was also surprised by the low RPM range and lack of engine noise. Even excellerating around other cars, I did not generate RPM spikes above around 3500 RPM and engine noise was minimal.

Question on headlamp icons on the left display:

On the far left I do get the greenish parking lights when any lights are on, but that's it.

When will the next three indicators light up? Ever? Looks like it should be driving lights (DRL?), head lights, and automatic, possibly, (then the ABS icon).

I've tried to attached a couple of pics.

post-34260-0-66602300-1432907403_thumb.jpg

post-34260-0-55133200-1432907478_thumb.jpg

Those fog lights are awesome....I can't believe the current edge doesn't have/offer them. I hope that they will carry over to the 2016 model that is sold stateside. Update on my titanium.....I have had the vehicle for almost 8 weeks, have 7963 miles on it. I am averaging combined mpg of 24.4 which includes at least 6 hours of weekly driving at about 80mph here in Michigan. If you don't drive80 here, you will get rear ended! I also have a lot of "idle" time as the car is my office. My DTE keeps consistently going up. Yesterday I filled up and DTE was 437 miles with MY driving habits. So based on my personal experience, I have say that there is indeed a "breakin" period with this engine and transmission. One thing that I am disappointed is that Ford is all about technology, and they do have a lot of it, but how in the world does Chevy have wifi in all its cars according to a tv commercial, and Ford doesn't at this point is beyond me....I would think that this would be a no brainier and easy to accomplish. These things are $40,000+ and they don't have it, but an Aveo has it....

• Like 1

If you have a smartphone you have a wifi hotspot that can be used in any vehicle at any time, can be upgraded at any time and you get your choice of carriers and data plans. Built in wifi is much less flexible and in most cases redundant. It's great advertising but not all that useful for most buyers - like Onstar.

• Like 1

Those fog lights are awesome....I can't believe the current edge doesn't have/offer them. I hope that they will carry over to the 2016 model that is sold stateside. Update on my titanium.....I have had the vehicle for almost 8 weeks, have 7963 miles on it. I am averaging combined mpg of 24.4 which includes at least 6 hours of weekly driving at about 80mph here in Michigan. If you don't drive80 here, you will get rear ended! I also have a lot of "idle" time as the car is my office. My DTE keeps consistently going up. Yesterday I filled up and DTE was 437 miles with MY driving habits. So based on my personal experience, I have say that there is indeed a "breakin" period with this engine and transmission. One thing that I am disappointed is that Ford is all about technology, and they do have a lot of it, but how in the world does Chevy have wifi in all its cars according to a tv commercial, and Ford doesn't at this point is beyond me....I would think that this would be a no brainier and easy to accomplish. These things are $40,000+ and they don't have it, but an Aveo has it....

Personally, I am glad Ford doesn't put in wifi, as over time technology changes, or maybe the carrier they use doesn't work well in your area. I would rather just use my phone as a hotspot and be done. That is what I have done in the past and it works great. Plus I don't want another cell data plan just for the car. Its like Onstar. I like how Ford does it, use the phone that almost everyone has.

• Like 1