So I'm going on 3 weeks into this nightmare!! After months of research and debating with my husband on what new SUV to purchase I stood my ground and we bought a Ford. Have never owned a Ford before but felt they earned my support by rejecting the bailout when other auto makers were swimming in bailout money (never once spending it to help the people). Anyway, purchased the 2015 Ford Edge on May 21st. Not sure the build date and don't have the VIN with me (I'll post that later) but after 4 weeks had our first torrential summer rain here in Central Florida. My husband noticed the floor was wet when he was wearing flip flops. Called the dealer and made an appointment. And there she sits to this day.

It's obvious what the problem is so I won't rehash all that but what is the most frustrating and unacceptable thing about this situation is how Ford is staying mum and not openly communicating with the car owners OR the dealers. I've called my Ford Dealer daily to check status and they have not to this day received any guidance from Ford on what to do to completely fix the problem. I'm getting the standard status 'waiting on parts'. So there my car sits in the dealer bay with the floorboards ripped out and the windows wide open (wonder how much dirt and shop grime is getting in my car day after day). They have yet to explain how serious this is, or how complicated to fix (or not) and why Ford is not openly addressing the obviously 100's of brand new (and very expensive) cars affected by this problem.

Even more frustrating is why are the Ford Corp Care folks who obviously monitor this forum are not speaking out and providing better support and guidance to help people get to the bottom of this problem. Paid alot of money for this things and now I'm truly regretting ever thinking about buying a Ford. Tired of waiting on my new car, meanwhile the bank still wants their money!! They better be ready to provide bumper to bumper lifetime warranty (including water damage) to get me to take this car back. So embarrassing when people ask me where my new car is and I can't even give them an intelligent answer!!

So now I worry about how long the vehicle sat out in the rain and how many times the car has gotten wet and dried. Feel like it's time to invoke the lemon law (on the entire fleet)!!!

Eerily familiar???

TSB 15-0020

WATER LEAK INTO THE FOOTWELL

Publication Date: February 20, 2015

FORD: 2014 Transit Connect

ISSUE:

Some 2014 Transit Connect vehicles may exhibit a water leak into the driver and/or passenger side footwell.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
1.Is water leaking into the passenger footwell?
a.Yes – check the evaporator core drain tube and reattach the evaporator core drain tube if loose. Proceed to Step 2. (Figure 1)
post-23566-0-80292300-1436437289_thumb.jpg
evaporator core drain tube Figure 1 - 15-0020
b.No – proceed to Step 2.
2.Is water leaking into both the passenger and driver foot well?
a.Yes – proceed to Step 3.
b.No – this article does not apply. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-00.
3.Open the hood. Refer to the circled areas. (Figures 2 and 3)
post-23566-0-24076000-1436437294_thumb.jpg
Figure 2 - 15-0020
post-23566-0-60016500-1436437298_thumb.jpg
Figure 3 - 15-0020
4.Apply Motorcraft® Seam Sealer or equivalent to the gap between the fender apron panel outer reinforcement and the A-pillar on both sides. (Figures 2A and 3A)
a.Allow the sealer to dry for two hours.
5.Seal the hole on the body by adding an O-ring to the instrument panel support assembly retainer, on both sides of the vehicle. (Figure 3B) a.Remove the cowl panel. Refer to WSM, Section 501-02.
b.Remove the instrument panel support assembly, both sides. (Figure 4)
post-23566-0-07084600-1436437304_thumb.jpg
instrument panel support assembly Figure 4 - 15-0020
c.Use a PVC foam strip to cut out and fit an O-ring onto the instrument panel support assembly retainers. Inner diameter 8 mm (0.3 inches). Outer diameter 18 mm (0.7 inches). (Figure 5)
post-23566-0-91622300-1436437310_thumb.jpg
Figure 5 - 15-0020
d.Thoroughly clean the surface and attach foam to the retainer. (Figure 6)
post-23566-0-93194900-1436437318_thumb.jpg
Figure 6 - 15-0020
e.Reinstall the instrument panel support assembly and cowl panel.

Obtain Part Locally
Part Number Part Name
164-R4901 PVC Soft Foam Strips

PART NUMBER PART NAME

TA-2-B Motorcraft® Seam Sealer

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

150020A 2014 Transit Connect: Inspect And Seal The Body Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.7 Hr.

WARRANTY STATUS

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.
Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE

5801610 68

Eerily familiar???

TSB 15-0020

WATER LEAK INTO THE FOOTWELL

Publication Date: February 20, 2015

FORD: 2014 Transit Connect

ISSUE:

Some 2014 Transit Connect vehicles may exhibit a water leak into the driver and/or passenger side footwell.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.Is water leaking into the passenger footwell?

a.Yes – check the evaporator core drain tube and reattach the evaporator core drain tube if loose. Proceed to Step 2. (Figure 1)

attachicon.gifTSB15-0020PICa.jpg

evaporator core drain tube Figure 1 - 15-0020

b.No – proceed to Step 2.

2.Is water leaking into both the passenger and driver foot well?

a.Yes – proceed to Step 3.

b.No – this article does not apply. Refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 501-00.

3.Open the hood. Refer to the circled areas. (Figures 2 and 3)

attachicon.gifTSB15-0020PICb.jpg

Figure 2 - 15-0020

attachicon.gifTSB15-0020PICc.jpg

Figure 3 - 15-0020

4.Apply Motorcraft® Seam Sealer or equivalent to the gap between the fender apron panel outer reinforcement and the A-pillar on both sides. (Figures 2A and 3A)

a.Allow the sealer to dry for two hours.

5.Seal the hole on the body by adding an O-ring to the instrument panel support assembly retainer, on both sides of the vehicle. (Figure 3B) a.Remove the cowl panel. Refer to WSM, Section 501-02.

b.Remove the instrument panel support assembly, both sides. (Figure 4)

attachicon.gifTSB15-0020PICd.jpg

instrument panel support assembly Figure 4 - 15-0020

c.Use a PVC foam strip to cut out and fit an O-ring onto the instrument panel support assembly retainers. Inner diameter 8 mm (0.3 inches). Outer diameter 18 mm (0.7 inches). (Figure 5)

attachicon.gifTSB15-0020PICe.jpg

Figure 5 - 15-0020

d.Thoroughly clean the surface and attach foam to the retainer. (Figure 6)

attachicon.gifTSB15-0020PICf.jpg

Figure 6 - 15-0020

e.Reinstall the instrument panel support assembly and cowl panel.

Obtain Part Locally

Part Number Part Name

164-R4901 PVC Soft Foam Strips

PART NUMBER PART NAME

TA-2-B Motorcraft® Seam Sealer

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

150020A 2014 Transit Connect: Inspect And Seal The Body Following The Service Procedure (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.7 Hr.

WARRANTY STATUS

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage.

Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

DEALER CODING

BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE

5801610 68

This does look so similar!! That evaporator coil drain sounds like the issue mine had. I just assumed that evaporator coil was located outside but I was wrong. It works just like the evaporator coil on your home a/c unit! This had to be my issue on my edge. Thanks for sending and posting all of those nice pictures too!

Here's an article on how these car evaporator coils work, in case anyone's interested.

wet carpet.

going on week 4 (car taken in on June 22) of driving a rental minivan while car is in shop.

tuesday of week 3 we spoke with service tech @ dealership. he said they were given instructions on how to check for the issue and then pull carpet, dry out, and replace with new carpet. tech then said they werent given clear instructions on a fix and they dont feel confident in giving the cars back. "you would just be back in after the next rain." also said the SEVEN cars they have, they have seen 4" of standing water in the well, and wire harnesses go through there. he gave me the impression the safety of the car may have been compromised. also said another local dealer has 17 edges customers waiting on delivery. hinted that i shouldnt take my car back, and even then, kind of a, "dont hold your breath waiting for a car, kid" feeling.

gave me the number of ford customer service and told me to call them, "and then the ford rep will call the dealership. just hang in there."

i called the rep and we have been playing phone tag since tuesday.

i have a feeling the dealership is hoping to force the 30 day lemon law. in my state it is enacted if the car is taken in for a fix more than 4 times, or the car is in the shop for 30 business days. further reading shows i have to contact the Industry Third Party Dispute Resolution Program to evaluate the claim.

if i win the claim i will receive a replacement vehicle of like or similar value, or the manufacturer will buy the vehicle back, less the value of miles driven.

i am currently researching vehicles again because my faith in ford (not be confused with faith ford) is diminished and i have a feeling we might be looking to purchase a different vehicle. angry that we will be out whatever they deem the mileage is worth. sitting tight and trying not to push the dealer to give me my car back. i dont want the car i bought. it sounds like it is flood damaged, and not by act of nature, but by poor design.

considering speaking to an attorney...

• Like 1

Hello Ford Family,

First of all, I want to welcome all the new members to the community! :) My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. I’ll be here to assist with any questions or concerns.

I noticed a putrid smell in my 2015 Edge a few weeks ago and wondered what the source was. I thought I had uneaten food somewhere in the car, but didn't find any.

A few days later I noticed the front and back drivers side floor were wet...

Neptune, the service bulletin Ford released recently stated that Edge owners had until June 30,2016 to have this issued fixed, if I recall from the letter I received recently...

So I'm going on 3 weeks into this nightmare!! After months of research and debating with my husband on what new SUV to purchase I stood my ground and we bought a Ford. Have never owned a Ford before but felt they earned my support by rejecting the bailout when other auto makers were swimming in bailout money (never once spending it to help the people)...

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to make another post in regards to this concern. Please contact me if your vehicle is experiencing this symptom and it has not been escalated. I’ll need for you to PM me your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll be happy to loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist.

In the meantime, you will be receiving an “Owner’s Letter” in the mail shortly, if you haven’t already. It will explain the next steps. I’ll be happy to provide that info here: Please call your dealer without delay and request a service date for Customer Satisfaction Program 15B21. Provide the dealer with the VIN. If you do not already have a servicing dealer, you can access www.Fordowner.com for dealer addresses, maps, and driving instructions. Ford Motor Company wants you to have this service action completed on your vehicle. The vehicle owner is responsible for making arrangements to have the work completed. Ford Motor Company can deny coverage for any vehicle damage that may result from the failure to have this service action performed on a timely basis. Therefore, please have this service action performed as soon as possible.

Lastly, FLEET OWNERS: If you still have concerns, please contact the Fleet Customer Information Center at 1-800-34-FLEET, Option #3 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM - 8:00PM (Eastern Time). You may also contact us through the Internet at www.fleet.ford.com.

I’ll be here to assist throughout the process so don’t hesitate to reach out to me!

1. Bought mine June 20, noticed soaked floor on the 23rd, dropped it off at dealership in Waxahachie Tx June 24th, Service dept called the next day to inform me they cannont fix it because the dealership I bought it from in Mesquite TX had already fixed it...

wet carpet.

going on week 4 (car taken in on June 22) of driving a rental minivan while car is in shop.

tuesday of week 3 we spoke with service tech @ dealership. he said they were given instructions on how to check for the issue and then pull carpet, dry out, and replace with new carpet. tech then said they werent given clear instructions on a fix and they dont feel confident in giving the cars back...

Hey guys,

Have you been contacted, and do you have a case number by chance? I’ll be happy to look into this further.

I received a call from the dealership last Thursday that they finally received the sealant. They were to be applying it on Friday, so I should hear from them today on the status...

Hello benk777,

How did it go at the dealer? Was this concern resolved?

Neptune, nice post. Thanks.

You are spot on here with the connection to the AC unit expelling water into the drivers side part of the car. I had the same thing happen, no rain, A/C on, and A/C was definitely the source of condensation then water into the floor (and a ton of it, not just a little bit)...

Supersoaker,

Is your Edge still experiencing this symptom?

Had mine in the shop yesterday for the "fix". All sealed up now even though I had no issues with leaking.

Thanks for the update, WingNut.

If you need anything, I’ll be here! B)

Tricia

• Like 1

Received letter (after noticing water and after taking it back to the dealer).
Called service at start of week 3. He told me to call Ford Customer Service.
Called Ford Customer Service and now have a CAS#.
Ford rep and I playing phone tag.

PM me if you want, but I think i have done what was asked of me. If you have a magic elixir that would get me a non-water damaged Edge (with the power lift gate the salesperson claimed the car had but doesn't) I would drive the rental minivan to the pickup destination ON MY DRIVING VACATION I PLANNED TO TAKE IN MY BRAND NEW EDGE this week.

I guess the bright side is I'm not putting miles on my own car?

there. I know that is the antithesis of help, but I feel better. wish there was something I could say to The Wife to make her feel better about all this...

"happy wife, happy life," says every salesman ever.

Edited by Weltyed

This story is almost identical to mine. Had car 3 days only put on 60 miles tops, when we noticed the wet carpet. It will be at the dealer for 4 weeks this Wednesday. They have done nothing but remove the carpet and a few panels. There it is sits outside collecting water waiting and growing mold, waiting for Ford to tell them what to do I have called the 1-800 number and "Frank" the regional number told me not to call him anymore and to deal only with the dealership. HELLO isn't that what you are for "Frank?"" My gripe is Ford knew they had this problem and allowed the dealer to sell me the car June 10 when the recall went out June 9th putting all deliveries on hold. Service adviser tells me Thursday Ford finally has a fix but from what I read there has been a fix for quite sometime.

This story is almost identical to mine. Had car 3 days only put on 60 miles tops, when we noticed the wet carpet. It will be at the dealer for 4 weeks this Wednesday. They have done nothing but remove the carpet and a few panels. There it is sits outside collecting water waiting and growing mold, waiting for Ford to tell them what to do I have called the 1-800 number and "Frank" the regional number told me not to call him anymore and to deal only with the dealership. HELLO isn't that what you are for "Frank?"" My gripe is Ford knew they had this problem and allowed the dealer to sell me the car June 10 when the recall went out June 9th putting all deliveries on hold. Service adviser tells me Thursday Ford finally has a fix but from what I read there has been a fix for quite sometime.

(with the power lift gate the salesperson claimed the car had but doesn't)

I really hate sales people.

I have been dealing with them recently while helping a friend buy a new Escape. I like to deal via email because things are in writing and I am a person that works with numbers vs. listening to some jackass talk my ear off and not giving me what I ask for.

So this jackass calls me to tell me he'll provide numbers when I come in. I say email them. He goes on about how they'll beat any deal I can bring. I say send me an email with numbers. He continues on about them being the best deal and that if I come in, it is easier to provide numbers.

Finally I just tell him "Look man. I've bought 5 cars in less than 10 years. All new. 1 of them from your dealership. I know how to buy a car, I understand rebates, you know what she qualifies for, and I want some numbers via email. If you keep talking about beating any deal, I will start shopping other dealers and it may not turn out as you think. I am giving you the 1st stab at selling us a car because I like your dealership. Give me numbers by email or I will contact someone who will".

10 minutes later he provides numbers. But of course no break down and leaves out all fees. So i ask for the OTD price. He provides it. I say can he beat the deal that USAA says I can get at the dealership a few miles away. His tune changes "I can only beat deals with vehicles I have in live stock. The car we are quoting you on would come from our network and is like a dealer trade". So I reply with the OTD price USAA provided minus $500 and said get me to that number and I'll send her in to sign.

No response.

So god damn frustrating. I hate the dealership model we have.

Oh well let them keep it and lemon law the thing.

I haven't had any luck in the past with Case #s. Had one for an issue with my Mustang. Didn't really do much since the dealer had to deal with Ford corporate anyway.

until you hit 4x's or 30 days. then the dealer is outta the loop and the third-party manufacturer-appointed consortium works directly with the manufacturer. if youre not happy with the claim resolution, it looks like ya gotta lawyer up.

checks and balances? maybe we will find out.

The Wife just received a Customer Satisfaction Survey letter from Ford today. "upon completing the survey you'll be entered in a drawing for one of 53 pre-paid Visa gift cards!!" (double exclamation points their doing)

grand prize is $3500. wonder if that would cover tax/title/license...

sorry, tricia. i know i'm coming off as a jerk, just still upset.

Hello Ford Family,

First of all, I want to welcome all the new members to the community! :) My name is Tricia, and I’m the U.S. Ford Customer Service Representative. I’ll be here to assist with any questions or concerns.

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to make another post in regards to this concern. Please contact me if your vehicle is experiencing this symptom and it has not been escalated. I’ll need for you to PM me your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll be happy to loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist.

In the meantime, you will be receiving an “Owner’s Letter” in the mail shortly, if you haven’t already. It will explain the next steps. I’ll be happy to provide that info here: Please call your dealer without delay and request a service date for Customer Satisfaction Program 15B21. Provide the dealer with the VIN. If you do not already have a servicing dealer, you can access www.Fordowner.com for dealer addresses, maps, and driving instructions. Ford Motor Company wants you to have this service action completed on your vehicle. The vehicle owner is responsible for making arrangements to have the work completed. Ford Motor Company can deny coverage for any vehicle damage that may result from the failure to have this service action performed on a timely basis. Therefore, please have this service action performed as soon as possible.

Lastly, FLEET OWNERS: If you still have concerns, please contact the Fleet Customer Information Center at 1-800-34-FLEET, Option #3 and one of our representatives will be happy to assist you. Representatives are available Monday through Friday: 8:00AM - 8:00PM (Eastern Time). You may also contact us through the Internet at www.fleet.ford.com.

I’ll be here to assist throughout the process so don’t hesitate to reach out to me!

Hey guys,

Have you been contacted, and do you have a case number by chance? I’ll be happy to look into this further.

Hello benk777,

How did it go at the dealer? Was this concern resolved?

Supersoaker,

Is your Edge still experiencing this symptom?

Thanks for the update, WingNut.

If you need anything, I’ll be here! B)

Tricia

Tricia,

1. I returned the waterlogged car to the dealer. Thankfully the funds hadn't transferred yet for the purchase. I really am sorry I missed the 40k car rental experience, the mold, the carpet shortages, the future rust and electrical issues, etc. I certainly hope FORD pays more attention to these posts and responds faster. You have a lot of upset people on here.

2. I wrote my concerned review on edmunds.com. We should all warn others of this mess.

3. You want to know something completely crazy? I'm probably going to go try and purchase one again this week. I am so loyal to Ford, ughh!!!!! There's only one thing holding me back. How can FORD ensure that I avoid these hassles? I put my help desk ticket into ford weeks ago and haven't gotten a returned call (I was warned when placing the ticket that Ford wasn't obligated to call me back). I don't know if I should order one from the factory or avoid a build date range (there's been speculation here on exact dates), or wait a month more? A higher up contact is appreciated.

A ford private cash offer may help erase the past stress and lost sleep too, and get me into the dealership faster.

Look forward to hearing from you ASAP.

Edited by supersoaker

was gonna wait on edmunds and the barrage of auto review sites until there is a resolution.

i hear you about stress and lost sleep. The Wife elbowed me for flippin and floppin in bed last night. "what is wrong with you?"

"i cant sleep. i keep thinking about the [stupid] car.

2. I wrote my concerned review on edmunds.com. We should all warn others of this mess.

A ford private cash offer may help erase the past stress and lost sleep too, and get me into the dealership faster.

Tricia,

1. I returned the waterlogged car to the dealer. Thankfully the funds hadn't transferred yet for the purchase. I really am sorry I missed the 40k car rental experience, the mold, the carpet shortages, the future rust and electrical issues, etc. I certainly hope FORD pays more attention to these posts and responds faster. You have a lot of upset people on here.

3. You want to know something completely crazy? I'm probably going to go try and purchase one again this week. I am so loyal to Ford, ughh!!!!! There's only one thing holding me back. How can FORD ensure that I avoid these hassles? I put my help desk ticket into ford weeks ago and haven't gotten a returned call (I was warned when placing the ticket that Ford wasn't obligated to call me back). I don't know if I should order one from the factory or avoid a build date range (there's been speculation here on exact dates), or wait a month more? A higher up contact is appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you ASAP.

If I were you, I'd order directly from the factory. Otherwise, you will have to deal with figuring out the build date for any dealer inventory. And then you'll have to worry if the dealer fixed the problem properly. Also, you will get a private offer for $750 if you either request a paper brochure for the Edge in the mail from Ford.com or click "Get Updates" at the bottom of the main Ford Edge page.

Edited by cab2g

have said it before...they are being fixed, I know of 100's being fixed 100% successfully. No more leaks, no smell, all new under pad etc....They can and are being fixed. Why waste your money on an attorney? Ford is stepping up to the plate and fixing or buying back cars.

have said it before...they are being fixed, I know of 100's being fixed 100% successfully. No more leaks, no smell, all new under pad etc....They can and are being fixed. Why waste your money on an attorney? Ford is stepping up to the plate and fixing or buying back cars.

They can buy mine back. Can't believe they can get musty smell out. It will perminate all the leather, foam and head liner. They sold me this car AFTER the hold went out.

• Like 1

lets see. what could be causing stress...

• several 10k out on a car i dont have
  • no true knowledge as to the status of my car
  • wondering what is goin to happen to a car i dont have and the money i am out on said car
  • possibility i will have to pay TTL again
  • stressed out wife (primary driver) (happy wife, happy life) (if momma aint happy, aint nobody happy)
  • everyone i know asking me whats goin on with the phantom car
  • listening to everyones "solution" i should follow

i do have other stressors in my life. i agree, this shouldnt be one of them. but here we are.

Stress, lost sleep??? It is a water leak, pone that can be fixed! You should have other things in your life other then worrying for nothing. It will be fixed or bought back-RELAX!