20" or 21" wheels Edge Sport

Mage266

Hey guys, I'm going to be placing an order soon for a 2016 edge sport. I plan to test the two wheels but I figured I would get some input from current owners.

I live in New York and we don't have the best roads around here which is why I'm nervous about the 21" wheels. I'm nervous about damaging them hitting potholes etc.

I was thinking of just going for the 20" ones to be safe, plus I'm concerned about ride quality and comfort. Did you guys notice a big difference between the two and do they handle bumbs and road imperfections to the same degree?

I'm currently driving a 2013 Edge limited with 20" wheels for reference, my lease is going to end very soon so I have to make a decision and get my order in.

I have 21"'s - my dealer offered tire and rim protection so if I blow a tire or damage my rims it is covered, for as many times that happens (hope it never does) - it added just under 10 bucks more a month to my lease but for me it was a no brainer considering how bad the roads are around here in winter and spring (PA). With my white Sport, I like the blacked out rims to offset the light body color.

Hey guys, I'm going to be placing an order soon for a 2016 edge sport. I plan to test the two wheels but I figured I would get some input from current owners.

I live in New York and we don't have the best roads around here which is why I'm nervous about the 21" wheels. I'm nervous about damaging them hitting potholes etc.

I was thinking of just going for the 20" ones to be safe, plus I'm concerned about ride quality and comfort. Did you guys notice a big difference between the two and do they handle bumbs and road imperfections to the same degree?

I'm currently driving a 2013 Edge limited with 20" wheels for reference, my lease is going to end very soon so I have to make a decision and get my order in.

Mage266--I'm going to be buying a 2016 Edge Titanium, so I'm not exactly to whom you've asked the question. But, to get more informed before purchasing, I talked to a local tire dealer on a similar question, but I was asking about the difference between the 20" and the 19". His answer was unequivocal -- get the smallest diameter. The larger diameter, the smaller sidewall..... and thus lesser protection from the potholes, etc. Also, the larger the diameter, the harsher the ride. So I'll probably be getting the 19 inch...... which might not be the sharpest looker, but maybe the smoothest and safest ride, and less expensive when time for replacement.

Lease? Then I'd go with the ones that look best to you.

Buy? I'd go with the 20s. I think the 20s have a timeless look vs. the 21s that are running with the all black trend that, possibly, down the road may be harder to sell. Plus 21s will run more when replacing tires...don't have to worry about that with a lease unless you burn through some tires.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by WingNut

Thank you all for your input and suggestions. I was leaning more towards the 21s purely for looks. I plan on getting black paint so with the rims it would be all blacked out.

If I do decide to get them I will definitely look into some tire protection plan as I'm sure they would be very expensive to fix/replace.

Mine came with the 20's which I drove about 5K on before getting a set of 21's off ebay for cheap. The ride difference is barely noticable and I'll take it as the black wheels make it look so much better. Plus the Pirelli tires on the 21's are better in the snow than the 20" Hankooks in my opinion.

The Edge all season 21" OEM tires are $277 a piece at Tirerack.

OK, one entry level tire for $277.45, plus shipping, plus mounting, tax

couple 5 years ago I did the tirerack deal, shipping and local mounting. Shops wanted to much money to mount TR stuff. Then when I did pick up a nail

had to pay again.

Best deal was Costco and OTD price was just under $2000.

OK, one entry level tire for $277.45, plus shipping, plus mounting, tax

couple 5 years ago I did the tirerack deal, shipping and local mounting. Shops wanted to much money to mount TR stuff. Then when I did pick up a nail

had to pay again.

Best deal was Costco and OTD price was just under $2000.

Usually I'll check tire rack for shipped price to the shop. Then I'll call the shop and ask how much to mount/balance tires I'll have shipped to you. Now you'll know their mount/balance price. Then ask for a quote on the tires + mount/balance. Chances are they'll beat or match the same price it would have cost to order from Tirerack.

Usually I'll check tire rack for shipped price to the shop. Then I'll call the shop and ask how much to mount/balance tires I'll have shipped to you. Now you'll know their mount/balance price. Then ask for a quote on the tires + mount/balance. Chances are they'll beat or match the same price it would have cost to order from Tirerack.

We did this with our local Ford dealer. They then matched the price on the tires but paid more mounting and warranty. (Worth the little extra in piece of mind).

Personnel preference I suppose but I went with the 21" I test drove an SEL with 18", Titaniums with 19" & 20" and i noticed a difference in the handling between them all. I much preferred the handling response of the 21". I also think the dark 21" wheels look better on the platinum white and being 9" wide with 265 tires fill out the wheel wells better. Maybe if the 20" were 9" wide they would look better.

• Like 1

Personnel preference I suppose but I went with the 21" I test drove an SEL with 18", Titaniums with 19" & 20" and i noticed a difference in the handling between them all. I much preferred the handling response of the 21". I also think the dark 21" wheels look better on the platinum white and being 9" wide with 265 tires fill out the wheel wells better. Maybe if the 20" were 9" wide they would look better.

I ordered mine with the 21" in Electric Spice....Should look good...

The sport you drove with the 21's has a entirely different suspension than the SEL and Titanium. Your handling response had nearly nothing to do with the wheels/tires. I'd agree about the 21's looking better on the white if that's the color you love. Not because of their size, but the gun metal gray contrast on the white. Enjoy your new sport. They are a blast

Edited by Brad Luczak
  • Like 1

I realize the suspension is entirely different but my point is there is a noticeable difference in handling between the size of wheels even between the 18's on the SEL and 20's of the titanium. I also think the 21's look better because of the size. I have 18" gunmetal winter rims and the 21's look much better although the 18's in gunmetal don't look as small as the bright painted silver of the stock SE wheels I had considered.

As I said it's all personal preference. And yes, no matter which way you cut it, the sport is a blast to drive. :) :)