what tires came on your edge? (from the factory)

ben senise

i believe that manufacturers have multiple tire suppliers so that any supply problems won't stop production of the vehicles.

my '09 came with 20" chrome-clad (not my choice) wheels and Pirelli Scorpion A/S tires. I wasn't very happy with them as they had no traction in light snow and they got very noisy at 20k km.

now i'm waiting for my factory order '16 titanium with 19" stock wheels and wondering what tires come on the edge these days.

reading some other posts in this forum, i see that some people have the pirelli scorpion verde and others have michelin latitudes. any other brands come from the factory?

what tires (brand, model, and size) came on your edge from the factory?

• 2 weeks later...

I've got the Michelin Latitude as well. I believe it depends on Trim and Rim size

- SE/SEL 18" get the Michelin Lattitude

- Titanium 19" gets Hankook

- Sport 20/21" gets Pirelli scorpions

Yup..... we just got our 2016 Titanium last week and it has 19" Hankook - which I had never heard of. (But, then, I don't get out much.) I suppose they come from China, or someplace exotic..... since it's supposedly and American car, made in Canada.

oh joy. i've got a new titanium coming with the standard 19" wheels. can't wait to have hankooks :(

i was going through photos on the web of 2016 edges at dealers throughout the US and Canada and did find a reasonably strong correlation of wheel size and tire brand as ONEDGE16 says.

oh joy. i've got a new titanium coming with the standard 19" wheels. can't wait to have hankooks :(

i was going through photos on the web of 2016 edges at dealers throughout the US and Canada and did find a reasonably strong correlation of wheel size and tire brand as ONEDGE16 says.

It won't be a reasonably strong correlation, it will be exact. Ford doesn't multi-source tires of the same size on the same model except for some of the high-volume F150 models or in rare cases when they change over from one supplier to another.

There's nothing wrong with Hankooks. Ford's tire process is they set up their own design criteria and then send those specifications out for bid. If Hankook couldn't meet Ford's requirements, they wouldn't win the business. Every tire on the Edge is a custom-tuned tire by Ford, it's not necessarily the same thing you can find at your local tire shop.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 2011 Explorer with 20 in Hankook. I was concerned when I ordered the Explorer,I had read some negative reviews of their tires...But after 5 years,only 38000 miles,I have no complaints..They have handled well in all weather and still have a ton of wear left. Have a 16 Titanium on order,Should get it 1st week of June,I welcome having the Hankook Tires on it. I believe Ford does a good job on tire specification...They got burned bad a few years back,if you remember....They are picky now.

My 09 MKX is in for service today they gave me a 2016 Lincoln MKX as a loaner. It has Hankook Venus S1 noble2, 245/50R20 tires on it. Smooth, quiet. Treadwear 660, traction A, temperature A. Sets "Kontril Technology" on tire. I was impressed with ride.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 1