Map update

I bought two A7s on ebay for $50/each and that included......wait or it......free shipping.

LOL...I assume they worked ok? Like everything else...looks like they have gone up in price. $60 (buy now) was the cheapest...plus $2.50 for shipping. $65 with free shipping was next.

i presently have the A5. I would assume the A7 would be a significant upgrade?

Thanks...

Edited by Smitty

I've compared the A4 to the A7 and against the Sync 3 maps. No updates in the areas I drive in and there have been new roads added since 2013. Yes the A7s I bought were genuine Ford product...same as you would by from a dealer. PS....I've even seen where dealers are selling the cards on ebay for a lot less than $150.

I bought two A7s on ebay for $50/each and that included......wait or it......free shipping.

It's a good price. Auction? From what seller if I may ask? With our poor Canadian Dollar Value, it's quite hard to find a good deal on those cards!

Edited by Agima

Not auction price. Buy it now price. I don't remember the vendor and I did not bookmark his site. I remember there being a couple of other sites with that buy it now. price.

I just checked ebay there are many A7s for the buy it now price of $65. way cheaper that 150.

Edited by Hermans

Everything on eBay is either a fake or stolen. Ford and the Nav company have an exclusive distribution agreement, so if you're not getting it from them, it's not legit.

Unless it's an older card where the owner has already upgraded and doesn't need the old one. Otherwise, you're 100% right.

That's the point I was trying to make - I can buy bootleg software for pennies on the dollar, but that doesn't mean it's legal.

I am still trying to wrap my head around why anyone would pay $149 for a map update, especially for the cost of the navigation system? The only benefit that I see is that the navigation system is built into the dash. For $149 you could buy a new GPS system and receive lifetime map updates and traffic avoidance updates, or just buy a brand new GPS system every time that Ford wants some more money out of you. You would have the latest maps and the latest technology.

Unless there is something else that I am getting with the update, I am having a hard time understanding the logic behind this.

Previously built-in nav systems cost $2K and DVD map updates were $200. The attraction is that it's integrated with a huge 8" screen and is accessible using voice commands from the vehicle.

But with apple carplay you can get the same benefits at no additional cost although you'll lose some vehicle functionality while in carplay mode (or so it seems).

As many have said over & over- It is a BIG MONEY maker to use a car companies nav .... They could make map updates cheaper or could actually make them more current with the actual street updates or include traffic ( biggie) ..... yea yea- they could not outsource so you have that as a don't blame Ford it is the other guy that is setting price & all that stuff...

I have built in nav- (came with fancier package) & yes big screen is nice & has done a nice job ....but with Ford choosing no TRAFFIC- oh wait PAY for it via Sirius- I use Waze on my smart phone & it draws very little data. So many others seem to use Waze as well. The other added features with app like Waze: sharing your route and eta, alerts of hazards on side of road, cop alerts...do add Much more value....

I have used Goggle & Mapquest & it does just seem like personal preference.

• 3 years later...

It has been a few years since I started this thread... ?

Update...Received the other day another letter from Ford for the $149.00 upgrade...still free shipping. I remembered our discussion here about getting the updates on ebay, decided to check it out further. 

I saw where they were selling A10, I was still on A5...decided to make the jump to A10. 

One of the vendors mentioned that for A10, you will need the latest Sync software version. So, started the research into what was needed for that. Went to the Ford support website and found there was an upgrade for my 2012. Downloaded that and upgraded to the latest version.

Prices have really gone down. Purchased the A10 for $21.00. Was $26, but the vendor had a $5.00 off coupon. Arrived in the mail yesterday. Installed the SD, started the Edge up and so far seems to work. If I go into the Sync settings, it does show A10. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...