2015 Edge fob self actvates in pocket

I have a 2015 Edge with pushbutton start - thus the fob is quite large and the front surface is raised. This makes the buttons prone to pocket activation.

First happened as soon as soon as I got the car and after parking it I looked out the window and the rear power tailgate was open.

Several days later while exiting the car the panic alarm went off and the tailgate opened again.

switched fobs but same thing.

I wear cargo pants and keep it in the thigh pocket and I bought a leather cover on eBay but it still does it; while climbing a ladder in my garage - as soon as I raised my leg the car alarm went off.

My wife has a 15 Taurus and her fob is dish shaped so the buttons are protected - no problem.

Ford dealer says I can't have one of her "scooped" fobs programmed for my car.

ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCE THIS!!!!!!

Either you are blessed, wear really tight cargo pants or have extremely sensitive raised buttons on the fob (sorry;l, amusing myself this morning).

I always thought that as long as you stay in the same frequency/series of keyfob you can program that remote to your car.

You can always try and grab one off eBay and give it a try.

If not, what about a more rigid plastic protector or a silicon based one (again, eBay or amazon has plenty of options) that would allow the case to be more flush with the buttons)?

I tried Both fobs..eventually same thing.

If I shut the door with the fob in the car horn goes off..kinda annoying late at night or in the garage, etc.

Fob has to be outside the car.

Dealer says Taurus remote like my wife's 15 limited will not program to an edge.

It happened again today: I was getting out at work, fob in rt leg lower cargo pocket and panic alarm went off in store parking lot.

Sat back down, silenced the alarm and when I got out again the rear hatch opened and the doors locked.

I solved my hitting the panic button in my pocket. O_o (okay that didn't sound like that in my head) Anyways, the fob open up revealing the circuit board. I took a small piece of "scotch tape" and covered the back sides of the buttons I didn't want activated.

The downside is that you won't be able to activate them at all without removing the tape. Which for me the panic button was nothing. The left gate, meh. that I couldn't live with. But I did notice that I stopped triggering it as soon as I taped off the panic button.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a problem with Ford FOBS for years. They were all made the same and I was always setting off the panic alarm when moving around. I just quit keeping it in my pocket except when going to drive the vehicle. I kept them on a nail in the house. When I got the 2014 Edge with the FOB was part of the key, it was too big to comfortably carry in my pocket so continued to keep it on a nail in the house until needed. This has worked fine for me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I solved my hitting the panic button in my pocket. O_o (okay that didn't sound like that in my head) Anyways, the fob open up revealing the circuit board. I took a small piece of "scotch tape" and covered the back sides of the buttons I didn't want activated.

The downside is that you won't be able to activate them at all without removing the tape. Which for me the panic button was nothing. The left gate, meh. that I couldn't live with. But I did notice that I stopped triggering it as soon as I taped off the panic button.

I did just tha.. i opened it up, put doubled tape ( no stickum) under all buttons. Works for me as I never use the buttons anyway. Unlock/lock with door handle, open tailgate with door button. No more accidentals.

Thanks

On the 2013+ Fusion there is mod using ForScan (as built data) that can disable the key fob Panic button, change it 2 presses or change it to lights only. Since the values for 2015+ Edge are in my cases similar to the 2013+ Fusion, it might be worth a try. (Under "Panic Alarm Setting")

Also, there is an option for "Auto Re-Lock Doors" which would re-lock the vehicle if no door was opened after 45 seconds from unlocking. Also worth a try on the 2015+ Edge.

2GFusions - Ford As-Built Data Mods (DanMc85)

Edited by omar302