2011 Edge SEL - Rough Idle

cmhhawaii

I have been having an issue with my 2011 Edge running rough at idle. The edge has 77,000 miles.

Here's the story:

I was having trouble with a cylinder misfire under normal driving. The code read "misfire cylinder 5". I took it into the dealer. They told me I had a bad coil on cylinder 2. They would replace it for $800, but recommended replacing all of them for $2,500. I passed on their offer and performed the repair myself. I found a cracked insulator on the spark plug at cylinder 5. I replaced all of the coils and spark plugs anyways - for good measure. The misfiring cylinder was solved.

Since I was under the hood and had the intake off, I took the opportunity to swap out my air filter and clean the mass airflow sensor. I bought a nice K&N air filter and installed it and cleaned the mass airflow sensor with CRC mass airflow sensor cleaner. After driving around for a while, I got a check engine light with fuel/air codes. I figured this was due to the increased airflow from the new high-performance filter. I swapped it out for a normal paper filter. The engine codes went away.

Well, it seems these things come in threes:

The following few weeks, the engine started running very rough at idle. I suspected a vacuum leak somewhere. I removed the intake manifold, to see if I had damaged a gasket , or forgot to connect a line. Everything looked good. Then, I checked the Emissions Vapor Canister Purge Valve and it does not appear to be malfunctioning. All the lines on the intake side appear to be seated correctly.

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to look next?

-Thank you in advance

Codes? Brakes working fine? Checked the OCM coil drivers? Not known to be an issue on gen 1.5, but ...

Possibly a throttle body issue? I would take the TPS off and check it fir wear and carbon tracking. If found, replace the throttle body. Cheap fix right now.

Clean the MAF sensor again, but you may need to replace it. I had to on my Edge, as no amount of cleaning would help with throttle response issues.

With either of these fixes, you should perform a KAM reset and let the PCM learn the new components.

No codes with just the rough idle. TPS is a fair suspect, but the issue only occurs at idle... TPS would give me issues throughout the throttle range (right?). I reset the PCM with my last round of fixes - no change. I really think it has to be the Mass Airflow Sensor. Is there a good way to test it without replacement?

If it is a miss fire then check for a misfire. Did you check the Purge valve solenoid for vacuum? What was the vacuum reading? Anything below 7 and you have a failed/failing purge valve.

Spark and fuel are your concerns at this point. Are the injectors all working? What are your O2 sensors reading?

• Like 1

It's how much force the pump is providing to the injectors. But that's not important right now......

LOL I know what fuel pressure is. But maybe it is low or fluctuating and not quite enough to cause a CEL. Stranger things have happened. Be nice to see if there is a misfire count.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...