Tire Options for stock 245/60/18

skynyrdmh

Hey all.

I have seen many topics here but most are for custom wheels and tire sizes. I am running the stock wheels on my 2007 SEL. I just dumped a lot of money to replace the same size on my wife's 2010 SEL. Looking for other options.

We put the original Michelin Latitudes back on hers, at her fighting request, but I am just looking for a similar but cheaper option for mine. Anyone out there have good or bad luck with whatever how about chiming in here?? There has to be something that is close to the same as the Michelins at a cheaper cost.

Cooper, Good Year, Bridgestone, Firestone, Kelly, Kumho, Yokahama, Continental, Hankook, Toyo, Barum, Uniroyal, I really don't have a preference.

Everyone has their favorites when it comes to tires. I've had bad luck with Michelin in the past. Great up to around 20K the turned to ♧hit. Loud, harsh. Went back to Sam Club and the tire magager told me I had ran through the soft rubber and into the hard rubber now (soft rubber to give tire smooth, quiet ride, then hard rubber to give long milage. Only way to get long milage was to use rubber with harder qualities). My love affair with Michelin was over (and I read they are still doing this. In the Amazon user remarks).

Anyway ....

I used tirerack.com to narrow down the search when I decided to put on a set on new tires. After narrowing the search to 2-3 tires (based on user ratings and tirerack's testing), I then looked up these three on Amazon and read the user remarks over there. My first choice had been the Michelin's. Rated tops on tirerack.Com but on Amazon many users were reporting short tire life (10K in one example) so I decided to go with my number 2 choice, the Bridgestone's Duelers. (This had also been the same tire that I had on the car currently).

https://m.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?tireIndex=1&autoMake=Ford&autoYear=2007&autoModel=Edge+SEL&autoModClar=FWD&width=245%2F&ratio=60&diameter=18&sortCode=54053&skipOver=true&minSpeedRating=S&minLoadRating=S#0

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s?k=tires+245%2F60-18

Beware of any glowing user comments if they only are reporting after a 100 miles or so. You want to read how the tires are doing after 5k, 10K 20k. Over the long hull. How are the holding up? Are they still smooth and quiet? (Taking age into consideration).

I've had no problems whatsoever with the Bridgestone's, fairly quiet, smooth and long lasting. As all tires grow louder and harsher with age, the Bridgestone's aged very well. Growing only slightly louder, mostly on cement. (As I'm running 20" wheels and have AWD, they may or may not be the best choice for your 18" wheels).

Now as to price, I found tirerack.Com to be the lowest advertised price locally, (they actually have a tire store within 40 miles), I printed out the page and took it to my dealer. He started out by looking in his computer and quoting l'cheapo, garbage tires to suck me in, so I immediately countered with the tirerack quote; and he immediately matched.

Nice thing about going through Ford, great mechanics (you know the job will be done right) and you can put it on your Ford Credit Card. Six months and no interest! Six months of OPM! And, they will match any published price. (They don't like to let you know this, all you have to do is ask). FWIW, I ask for a senior discount everywhere I go. Don't need it, just cheap. Get it usually too. We were in a very fancy, French restaurant in Seattle a few weeks ago, asked for a senior discount, waiter looked down on me and my wife like "you must be kidding". I sat there not saying anything, continued to stare at him ..... and he finally said something like "but of course" (French accent, probably fake). Got 5%. It's a contest you know. Just ask.

Also, they will rebate you $50 for using their credit, and, I bought when Ford was offering a $75 rebate on Bridgestone, so got that discount as well. (Rebates came as two separate preloaded debit cards).

You can sign up and get approved for Ford Credit Card right at the service desk. Took three minutes. (Having too many credit cards, or cards you never use, only lowers your credit score 5-10 points, so no biggie).

Discount Tire is another good place to check as they do a lot of business and have never heard any bad remarks about them.

Edited by enigma-2
  • Like 3

• 7 months later...

How are the Bridgestone's Duelers in the winter and snow?

I have a 2013 SEL AWD with the 18" wheels with the standard Michelin Latitude's which were fine in the snow when new but as they have worn down now with average tread about 5-6/32s the performance was poor.

I have read on CR, the user reviews for the Bridgestone Duelers performance in snow as poor when new. (Great tire otherwise.)

I know these are not snow tires but I would rather get a better all season which works well in snow than have to buy snow tires.

Thanks!

I'm running the Bridgestone Ecopia 422, not the older 400's. The 422's have an improved tread pattern.

I also am running 20" and have AWD, so snow isn't a problem. I would imagine 18" tires would be better in snow do to the added flex in the sidewall. And snow removal in the area is usually very good so there are only a very few days when we are ever really driving on snow. On those that are snow covered, the tires are good (NOT snow tires) and NOT poor.

I like the tires, no real complaints. (Don't consider the older 400's which were not as good).

One other thing to consider is, the better the tire is on snow, the noiser the tread is on dry payment. I like super quiet over those few days of heavy snow. (But with AWD, who cares?)

• Like 2

I'm running the Bridgestone Ecopia 422, not the older 400's. The 422's have an improved tread pattern.

On those that are snow covered, the tires are good (NOT snow tires) and NOT poor.

I like the tires, no real complaints. (Don't consider the older 400's which were not as good).

One other thing to consider is, the better the tire is on snow, the noiser the tread is on dry payment. I like super quiet over those few days of heavy snow. (But with AWD, who cares?)

Thanks. Are yours H or T?

I have noticed that for example on Tirerack they are running out of H on closeout but have plenty of T and I think I read they are no longer making the H and only the T.

I'm not sure how much of a difference that makes in the rubber compound or if that's why people in reviews complain of problems in snow vs people who say its fine.

The problem I had with my stock Michelins in the snow this past year was not starting traction but stopping. They slid and wouldn't stop the way they used to.

After reading more about Michelin tires I have a theory. People (like what you said above) say that Michelin makes its tires with two layers, soft rubber on the outside and harder rubber in the next layer. They say it's how they get the tires to last longer. I think it's because they want people to like the tires in the first year or two and not return them until most of the warranty is up. Once it goes to the harder rubber they are noisier and I don't think harder rubber works as well on snow. So I think the problem was not the lower tread but the rubber compound. If that's the case and all Michelin's are like this then I will not even consider buying another Michelin.

Edited by Cyberdave

The problem I had with my stock Michelins in the snow this past year was not starting traction but stopping. They slid and wouldn't stop the way they used to.

After reading more about Michelin tires I have a theory. People (like what you said above) say that Michelin makes its tires with two layers, soft rubber on the outside and harder rubber in the next layer. They say it's how they get the tires to last longer. I think it's because they want people to like the tires in the first year or two and not return them until most of the warranty is up. Once it goes to the harder rubber they are noisier and I don't think harder rubber works as well on snow. So I think the problem was not the lower tread but the rubber compound. If that's the case and all Michelin's are like this then I will not even consider buying another Michelin.

You may be onto to something there. I have not had any issues with starting or stopping in the snow with the Michelins. My gripe with them is when the first layer wears down the tires are noisy to me. I also have seen my fair share of sidewall cracking and spidering. IIRC there was a recall for them at some point in time.

Thanks. Are yours H or T?

I have noticed that for example on Tirerack they are running out of H on closeout but have plenty of T and I think I read they are no longer making the H and only the T.

Honesty I don't know. Tires are rated Treadwear: 640, Traction: A, Temperature: A.

If you look at the ratings on Tirerack.Com, you'll see all the categores are in the green. Very few tires are rated this high (and can maintain it over theit lifetime).

• 5 weeks later...

Got a heck of a deal at Discount Tire's 4th of July sale this morning on a set of Continental LX-20's. Believe it or not, one of my local stores warrantied my old Yoko YK-580's for $50.00 per tire!!!! After all rebates, mounting/balancing, disposal and taxes my total out the door will end up being $253.00. The original price out the door for these tires was $690.00. Moral of the story is always ask if they can warranty your old tires if you purchased them at DT or DTD.

Edited by fishx65
  • Like 2

fishx65, initial thoughts on the Continental's? Quiet? I have had terrible luck with Continental's on a couple of cars (Fusion and Taurus). But I sure like the $253 price!

Getting them put on tomorrow and will post initial thoughts. I just about went with the new YK-HTX Yokos but ,after the wear and cracking of the Yoko YK580's at 40,000 miles , I decided to go with a different brand. I haven't messed with Continentals in many years but reviews of the LX-20's are pretty good. Been getting tires so cheap I guess I shouldn't complain about 40,000 mile life. It's kinda funny that I paid $284.00 for the set of YK580's 3 years ago and now they're giving me $200.00 in warranty money. :):)

Edited by fishx65
  • Like 3

So far the Continental Cross Contact LX-20's (245/60/R18) seem pretty good. They're really good looking, quite and ride just fine. They have a cool protruding lip around the rim that should do a pretty good job protecting expensive wheels from road rash. 35 psi always seems to wear out the crown prematurely on Edge's and MKX's so I'm gonna run these at 31 psi. I tried to keep the Yoko YK580's around 33 psi and they still had some serious crown wear at 40,000 miles. New skins always feel good so I'll try to keep some updates coming as the miles roll by. I'm in Michigan so I'll be using them in every road condition known to man.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I replaced my stock Michelin Latitude Tour with Conti CrossContact LX20 (which I am not ready to comment on yet until I get about 1000 miles on them). 

I got my Edge at 28k miles and the tires had plenty of tread left so I wasn't sure if they were replacements. 

When they came off I checked the date of manufacture and it is 4012 or the 4th week of 2012 which fits in with the year of my Edge which is 2013. 

So the mileage on them is 56k with 3 tires having between 3 and 4/32s and one with 5/32s. That's not bad compared to people who say they only get about 25k out of them. 

• 7 months later...

When trying to decide what tires to replace for my car I looked at the LX20, Bridgestone 422 ECOPIA, and some kind of hybrid like the Toyo Celsius CUV. 

I really couldn’t afford to get two sets of tires – all season and winter tires. I needed one set of tires which would be good with snow but also good all around in general. By good with snow I mean not just starting from a stop which is not a problem with AWD but stopping and going around curves. My Michelin Latitudes after they down to about 6/32s would no longer stop properly on snow, the ABS kicked in and the car kept sliding.

I did a completely new (google) search for all season tires good on snow and two tires came up. Nokian WR G3 and Toyo Celsius. I had never heard of Nokian before nor about the Celsius. The first thing I looked at was a report by Consumer Reports about these tires being a new inbetween tire – inbetween all season and winter – being called an All Weather tires. In their tests CR said both tires were very good. I began to look into them in more detail.

While numerous Nokians were available at Discount Tire near me for my wife’s Subaru Forester, they were not for the Edge. But the Celsius were available from Ford and the Ford site showed them as including not only a generous $140 in rebates but a “No Regrets Trial” period from Toyo – 45 days or 500 miles. I checked the Toyo site and it said the trial was either exchange or refund.

Since only the Toyos were available for me, I looked into those and found a number of independent car sites who tested the tires in winter and said the test results were good.

I also looked up and found a number of tire sites with consumer reviews from people who would want a tire like that in the northern US states and Canada. The reviews were all mostly positive, people liked the tires and they worked well. There were however a few people who complained that the tires didn’t seem to be able to be balanced properly, that there was noise and vibration. One person complained that when they were going between 60 and 70 mph the car started vibrating. Given the number of other positive reviews and the fact that tires can vary by vehicle and maybe there were install problems with those people, I would probably be OK with getting the tires.

So I decided to get them. I was really hoping they would be great because I didn’t want to go through the bother of returning them. I kept my old tires just in case. After installation I checked the tires pressure and tread. The tread depth was uniformly 10/32. I did some driving around. I had read that some people said these tires had more rolling resistance and as a result they would get a couple less mpg. I noticed that on first driving them. They didn’t seem any noisier than the Michelin’s either by listening or by using a sound measuring app on my phone. What did seem more pronounced however was the tires transmitted bumps and other imperfections in the road. It got worse when I went over 45 mph on a less than perfect road and on the highway. On the highway (around here) there is a bump every 50? Feet and so it felt like I was driving over a washboard. I can see now how someone would describe that as increased vibration.

The tires were balanced correctly because they worked fine on perfect stretches of road. The problem of course is that where I live there aren’t too many stretches of perfect road. I decided to return them.

I have a theory about why the tires were a problem on my CUV but yet why they may be fine on other people’s sedans. I noticed that the tires had a different profile than the Michelin’s. The Michelin’s don’t look like they are inflated all the way whereas these looked like they were overinflated. When I took them back to Ford service the guy checked them because he said they looked over inflated. I am wondering if this is due to a firmer sidewall which makes the tires less flexible and thus more prone to transmitting road vibrations. My car has a firm suspension so it needs a tire that has a more comfortable and flexible ride. A firm suspension coupled with a less flexible tires means more vibrations and noise. So a car, a sedan, with a more cushioned suspension may work just fine with these tires. (I'm sure the rubber formula is a factor also.)

Anyway about 5 days later I went back to the dealer to talk to service about returning them. They said I would have to talk to the parts manager and they were out that day so I had to go back a couple days later. I figured there was going to be some red tape and this could take some time. When I went back they had to figure it out but it didn’t end up taking that long. One gotcha though is that while the trial gives you a refund of the cost for mounting and balancing, when you have your own tires put back on, you have to pay for that. So it cost me $80 for a trial of the tires. But at least I got a refund for everything else. I think also I was fortunate that this dealer is customer friendly and oriented. One who goes to a less friendly dealer may end up having more problems returning them.

Also note that on Consumer Reports tests, the Celcius rates at 64, the Nokian at 66, and the Conti LX20 at the top at 74.

I describe the Conti LX20 which I ended up getting in the post "Anyone have Conti CrossContact LX20 experience?" and that's what I remain with, probably the best bet for the money for me anyway. 

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, Cyberdave said:

So to follow up (and I posted a longer one in the thread I referenced previously), the LX20's only lasted 34k miles on my car which I am very disappointed with considering what they are supposed to be. 

I’ve never gotten more than 30k out of low profile OEM tires.

• 4 months later...
On 8/11/2023 at 5:08 PM, Cyberdave said:

So to follow up (and I posted a longer one in the thread I referenced previously), the LX20's only lasted 34k miles on my car which I am very disappointed with considering what they are supposed to be. 

I now have 46,000 on my LX20's and still have 5-6 tenths on all of them.  They've been really good all these years but I just noticed some cracking between the treads.  Probably gonna go with a set of LX25's when the time comes.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 11:01 AM, fishx65 said:

I now have 46,000 on my LX20's and still have 5-6 tenths on all of them.  They've been really good all these years but I just noticed some cracking between the treads.  Probably gonna go with a set of LX25's when the time comes.

You're lucky! 

If it matters Consumer Reports gave the LX25 a lower score than the LX20. 

I looked at options and decided to go with Falken Ziex CT60 A/S. While they are not rated as highly as the LX25 by CR, in looking at other professional reviews and user reviews it sounded like a great tire. 

My other cars have used Falken for years and they've always been good. And I'm not giving Continental another dime! It should be noted in my research I found a lot of people complaining about the LX20 and/or 

Continental in general and trying to get them to replace their tires for breach of warranty for premature wear or other problems. It's worth looking into. 

I also noticed that the UTQG rating on the LX20 was 680 and the new tires of both are 740. I guess we'll see if that makes a difference. 

So far I haven't noticed any difference between the LX20 and the Falken's. We recently had snow and they worked fine. 

• Thanks 1