PTU drain plug drill and tap

karpcbk

BrianK:  do you feel the extended heat shield has made a difference?

Probably fair to say PTUs mounted to the 6F50 transmissions are the same across models, but what MYs match is a different story, as changes don't necessarily happen in lockstep between models. 6F55 PTUs are different from 6F50 PTUs.

The vent extension was added onto the eco 2.0 in Gen 2, possibly 3.5 and 2.7, but do not know.  Yes it is to help with fluid expansion.  Run known VINs on the dealer or Ford site and check if the vent extension is available for all 3 engines in Gen 2.

Yes, all AWD Edge starting in 2015 (i.e. Gen 2) have drain plugs standard from factory.

Only way to find out if a solution works is to try it out.  Wouldn't hold my breath tho.  Ford has had to make revisions especially to support the Police Interceptors.  Still not perfect.  Instead of replacing the PTU tho, they now have kits to replace the idler gear.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone considered Schaeffer's Specialized Fluids gear oil?  Their 170 EXTREME PERFORMANCE FULL SYNTHETIC SAE 75W-140 has a flash point of 489°!  Just tossing another option out there.  I haven't used it yet, but I might. I plan on changing my PTU fluid every third oil change. Since I recently changed my PTU gear oil, it will be a while before my next service interval. 

https://www.schaefferoil.com/gear-oils-lubricants.html

271-170-td.pdf

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PerfA - I can't say whether or not the extra shield has made a difference because now since I put in the drain, I change the oil regularly - every 2nd engine oil change. It is still coming out dirty but I think this is because it is still cleaning the sludge out that is in pockets in the PTU. No failure yet so changing the oil seems to be helping. I added the extra shield because of what others said about cooking the oil due to heat and of course I prefer to change oil than parts.

I suppose a high temperature oil would help longevity considering the oil seems to turn to goo and that seems to be a result of overheating the oil beyond its temperature spec. Couldn't hurt.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My '11 Ltd AWD will soon pass 100k miles.  I do PTU oil changes with Valvoline 75w-140 High Temp Full Synth gear oil at 20k intervals.  So far, so good!  My local shop does the suck and fill method with their machine but I bring the oil.  They have been servicing my cars for 20 years and serviced my Explorer up to 213,000 when I sold it.  My philosophy is that its best to do frequent changes with a proven oil that do an eternal search for the perfect oil to extend changes.   Same with engine oil.  Mobil-1 at 5k intervals.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

Would love to seem some Blackstone data once in a while to figure out if the advice being doled out by any of us has helped make a difference.  Gives a uniform basis for comparison :)

I thought MacT did a fluid sample... Maybe he did or maybe I wished he did LOL

Since I just got my 2013 AWD Edge and reading about all these PTU issues has me concerned. Everything seems OK now but want to take some preemptive action. Does anyone know of a mechanic in the Denver Colorado area that can drill and tap the PTU for the drain plug so I can start changing the oil regularly? Thanks

Hey Steve - Why not DIY!

I put in a drain hole myself by following pictures/recommendations in various PTU posts. There is one post/picture showing dimensions from various PTU landmarks. I started by using a small drill bit and allowing all the oil to drain out once it went through. I drilled slowly so the bit wouldn't penetrate too far into the PTU. You can tell when you're through because oil starts to come out - which helps clean the area of any debris from drilling. Then once drained, I used a larger bit (sized for a 1/4" pipe thread Tap - it's tapered so the plug fits tight) and drilled slowly. Once through, I used a bent Q-tip to clean the inside area of any loose aluminum filings that may have been deposited there from drilling. Then I tapped the hole and again cleaned the inside very carefully with a bent Q-tip until I was satisfied that it was free of aluminum cuttings from the drilling and tapping. Then I installed the plug, and filled drove and drained number of times to clean the sludge out. If you are at all handy it's not hard - just takes some intestinal fortitude to drill the first hole LOL.

• Like 3

Hi Steve

I know what you mean about getting the right parts. What I did was go to an autoparts place and told them what I wanted to do and got all the parts there so all would fit together - basically 3 things - a tap, drill bit and a plug. The hole size is 1/4" NPT. If you buy the tap that size, the tap package will tell you (probably) what size drill bit to use - or the parts guy should be able help. Get a small bit to start the hole (say 1/8") because it is easier to drill a pilot hole first. By the way, NPT is National Pipe Thread and it is used because it is tapered and when you thread the plug in, it will eventually tighten up and seal - not like a nut and bolt type of thread. When tapping the hole, don't 'tap too far into the PTU - just enough to get some good threads but not so far as to hit anything inside the PTU. When drilling the pilot hole, be really careful that you don't 'wiggle' the bit and break it off - just take it easy with the hole drilling. Good luck.

Edited by Brian K
  • Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 8:38 AM, Brian K said:

Hi Steve

I know what you mean about getting the right parts. What I did was go to an autoparts place and told them what I wanted to do and got all the parts there so all would fit together - basically 3 things - a tap, drill bit and a plug. The hole size is 1/4" NPT. If you buy the tap that size, the tap package will tell you (probably) what size drill bit to use - or the parts guy should be able help. Get a small bit to start the hole (say 1/8") because it is easier to drill a pilot hole first. By the way, NPT is National Pipe Thread and it is used because it is tapered and when you thread the plug in, it will eventually tighten up and seal - not like a nut and bolt type of thread. When tapping the hole, don't 'tap too far into the PTU - just enough to get some good threads but not so far as to hit anything inside the PTU. When drilling the pilot hole, be really careful that you don't 'wiggle' the bit and break it off - just take it easy with the hole drilling. Good luck.

I would recommend coating the bit and tap with heavy grease to catch chips from going into the PTU unless you are disassembling it. Also use a helical-coil to avoid stripped threads in the future. Those cast aluminum cases are super soft and wont take much to pull the treads right out of it. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys, I am from germany and drive an 2007 Edge AWD. 

My PTU is also leaking, but my englisch is not as good as it should be, so maybe I didn't understood everything right. 

Do just have to drill a drain plug into the PTU and change the oil frequently and it stops to leak? 

Does it also work if my PTU is already leaking?

On 4/22/2019 at 5:57 PM, CivicSi907 said:

Hi guys, I am from germany and drive an 2007 Edge AWD. 

My PTU is also leaking, but my englisch is not as good as it should be, so maybe I didn't understood everything right. 

Do just have to drill a drain plug into the PTU and change the oil frequently and it stops to leak? 

Does it also work if my PTU is already leaking?

No, you'll need to correct the leak, and while doing that it would be a good opportunity to add the drain plug, then do frequent oil changes.

Hopefully damage hasn't occurred yet, other than the seal.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

If the leak is ONLY from the vent, yes, there is a chance.  If it however is from one of the 3 seals around the PTU, seal replacement is necessary.  If that seal is the transmission to PTU seal, you will be faced with the question of replacing the PTU, as the labor is the same to either replace the seal or replace the seal AND the PTU.

Drilling the drain plug is simply a way to make fluid changes easier.

Mine doesn't a vent line as some newer ones do but has what I call a 'jiggly valve' on top of the PTU - similar to what I have on my GMC Envoy rear axle to vent the pressure. It is a little 1/2" thing (for lack of a better word sorry) that screws into the PTU. Installed in the vehicle, you can feel it if you reach up around the top of the PTU. I couldn't take mine out and really couldn't see it. If the goo in the PTU is puking out that vent, then replacing the oil in the PTU a number of times, might help your situation.

Mine looks something like this:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-OEM-NISSAN-REAR-AXLE-REPLACEMENT-BREATHER-TUBE/282540044556?hash=item41c8b2f10c:g:3XEAAOxyLchRr7HE&vxp=mtr 

• Like 1

8T4Z-7275-CC is the seal kit referred to by TSB 09-25-7 regarding leaks affecting the PTU.  It contains PTU cover seal, intermediate shaft seal, alignment washer, deflector, and seal protector.  You can also buy seals individually as kits for each location, such as listed here:

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts-list/2007-ford-edge/transmission-external-components.html

The rear output flange seal kit (PTU-driveshaft) is separate from the kit above

Kit
Kit - Seal

SEAL, OIL - REAR OUTPUT FLANGE , Includes Pinion Nut And Radial Pinion Seal

Base Number: 7275A
Callout Name: 7275A
Replaced by: GB5Z-7275-A
$15.48
$10.78
  • Like 3

On 4/23/2019 at 12:31 AM, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

If the leak is ONLY from the vent, yes, there is a chance.  If it however is from one of the 3 seals around the PTU, seal replacement is necessary.  If that seal is the transmission to PTU seal, you will be faced with the question of replacing the PTU, as the labor is the same to either replace the seal or replace the seal AND the PTU.

Drilling the drain plug is simply a way to make fluid changes easier.

If  the "transmission to PTU" seal is faulty, could the PTU be repaired or is the PTU damaged and not reuseable again? Or could it be reused after cleaning and changing all seals and refilling new oil, I think 75w-140, right?

Edited by CivicSi907

In the absence of whining or grinding type noises, the PTU is reusable.  You would want to flush it thoroughly though before you put it back in place.  The question is, since it is out of the vehicle, you can't drive it around or turn the wheels to help with the flush.  So while it is on the bench, best you can do is either a) fill to the bottom of the fill plug hole, drain, repeat, then final fill, OR b) pry the vent off carefully with a screwdriver, use that as a fill hole, and use the fill hole as a drain hole, run at least 32 ounces of fluid out the drain hole, reinstall the vent.  Then reinstall.

Some have taken the PTU apart to take a look. It is not a terrible job if you are mechanically inclined.  FordTechMakuloco has a video on his channel on YT on what it looks like inside. 

• Like 1