Fake (synthetic) in-cabin engine noise in G2 Edge Sport

Xtra

The Edge has what is called ANC. It is meant to keep the cabin quiet. There is no engine noise piped into the vehicle. The F150 3.5 ecoboost is an example of a vehicle that has ENE which is enhanced engine sound being simulated by the audio system. Turning off ANC in the Edge will actually make the cabin louder inside.

• Like 1

The Edge has what is called ANC. It is meant to keep the cabin quiet. There is no engine noise piped into the vehicle. The F150 3.5 ecoboost is an example of a vehicle that has ENE which is enhanced engine sound being simulated by the audio system. Turning off ANC in the Edge will actually make the cabin louder inside.

On all models? What years? Where is the setting?

I thought this topic was covered before and I found it...here is the service manual info on ANC for the 15+

ANC - 2.7L Only

ANC is an audio system feature that eliminates a certain range of low frequency engine noise within the passenger compartment typically induced under wide open throttle or heavy part-throttle conditions. The system uses 3 microphones, a DACMC (contained within the ACM), and the audio system speakers. The DACMC determines the noise frequency to be canceled based upon engine rotation speed data, engine torque data, and accelerator pedal position data from the PCM, as well as microphone input signals.

The ANC microphones are located in the headliner and monitor the engine noise resonating in the passenger compartment. The microphones transmit this noise as analog signals to the DACMC (contained within the ACM), where they are converted into digital signals by the integrated analog/digital converter. The digital signals are processed and an inverted phase sound wave with the same amplitude as the original sound is created. This new sound is converted into an analog audio signal, transmitted to the DACMC internal tone generator, and output by the ACM to the audio DSP module as fluctuating AC voltage. The audio DSP module sends the signal to the LHF door speaker, RHF door speaker, and subwoofer speaker as fluctuating ACvoltage.

Edited by jmr061
  • Like 5

If you follow the reference above, it really does seem that exhaust noise 'is' being piped in under hard acceleration. The author in the other forum clearly stated that disconnecting the module made his car quieter.

About the only way one could verify that the same "enhancement" exists in the Edge Sport is to disconnect the same two wires and listen.

When I said "piped in" it was slang for electronically added. Not an actual pipe like a plumbing pipe. B)

There's many cars that actually do "pipe in" engine noise. My old Subaru BRZ had a pipe that ran from the air box to the footwell on the passenger side. I plugged the hole with a $0.10 piece from Home Depot.
  • Like 1

I remember driving a few 1985 Mustang SVO's (the 2.3L Turbo engines from the Merkur's) and they all had a turbo speaker in the center of the dashboard that piped in the turbo spooling sound from the engine.

It was a fairly unique feature at the time, but also kind of gaudy.

I prefer the noise cancelling feature of our Edge Sports for quiet, non fatiguing highway driving.

If I were in my teens or twenties though I would probably prefer a blow off valve or piped in turbo spool like in a Focus RS or Fiesta ST.

• Like 2