New ST Owners (Tips, Tricks & Issues)

bobyellow

6 minutes ago, Rimcrim said:

I suspect this is due to you having an early build date, there were many reports about the transmission acting up and not shifting properly when the media was driving them, and Ford themselves said that they were still working on transmission tuning and it was not where they wanted it to be yet.

I would recommend going to the dealer and asking for a software update and see if that resolves the issue.

1st day build I think. 9/5/18. 

Have an appointment for Monday. Hope this is an easy fix. Not like the 30 day fix that was posted here.

On 1/16/2019 at 4:45 PM, bobyellow said:

1st day build I think. 9/5/18. 

Have an appointment for Monday. Hope this is an easy fix. Not like the 30 day fix that was posted here.

Not fixed.... 'Senior Tech was assigned to your vehicle. He was able to reproduce the issue. No fault codes were found. Fluid levels were fine.' A call was put into a Ford hotline, waiting for a response. No TSBs have been issued.

Bummer.

2 hours ago, bobyellow said:

Not fixed.... 'Senior Tech was assigned to your vehicle. He was able to reproduce the issue. No fault codes were found. Fluid levels were fine.' A call was put into a Ford hotline, waiting for a response. No TSBs have been issued.

Bummer.

At least they were able to recreate the issue when the tech drove the car. That's a big part of getting an automaker's attention to look into issues. Here's to hoping they have it resolved quickly for you!

Greetings fellow ST owners.

File this under the "Tips" category and for those who live in areas where the roads may be snow/ice covered during the winter months.

My wife (primary driver of the ST) came home from work one day a few weeks ago and commented about the lane keeping feature of the car being a bit annoying/intrusive.  We had received enough snow that day to cover the roads and as traffic wore through the covering, there were tire tracks, if you will, through the snow and down to the road surface.  Of course those tracks tended to wander outside of the driving lane.  When she followed those tracks, the lane keeping feature would get glimpses of the painted lines and try to steer the vehicle left or right.....not what you want to have happen in a icy situation.  Based on her observations, I scrolled through the driver assist menu and changed the setting from (I believe) "Correction" to "Alert Only".  The next day, the Mrs's said the wheel buzzed slightly but did not try to redirect the car.....much better.  Come spring, I am not sure we will turn the "correction" option back on as we found that it seemed to take action at about the same time as the driver and it tended to make the adjustment rather abrupt.  Also, our family seems somewhat performance oriented and we generally take an 'outside-to-inside-to-outside' cornering approach and have found the lane keeping system does not seem to like us hugging the lines.      

Hope that helps any ST owners who may encounter this. 

Edited by 65SDAK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 65SDAK said:

File this under the "Tips" category and for those who live in areas where the roads may be snow/ice covered during the winter months.

My wife (primary driver of the ST) came home from work one day a few weeks ago and commented about the lane keeping feature of the car being a bit annoying/intrusive.  We had received enough snow that day to cover the roads and as traffic wore through the covering, there were tire tracks, if you will, on the road surface.  Of course those tracks tended to wander outside of the driving lane.  When she followed those tracks, the lane keeping feature would get glimpses of the painted lines and try to steer the vehicle left or right.....not what you want in a icy situation.  Based on her observations, I scrolled through the driver assist menu and changed the setting from (I believe) "Correction" to "Alert Only".  The next day, the Mrs's said the wheel buzzed slightly but did not try to redirect the car.....much better.  Come spring, I am not sure we will turn the "correction" option back on as we found that it seemed to take action at about the same time as the driver and it tended to make the adjustment rather abrupt.    

I noticed that also when playing with it. I tend to keep it disabled though. Ill likely only activate it when on long trips anyway.  You might want to tell her to just hit the button to disable it when the road conditions are poor. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 65SDAK said:

My wife (primary driver of the ST) came home from work one day a few weeks ago and commented about the lane keeping feature of the car being a bit annoying/intrusive.  We had received enough snow that day to cover the roads and as traffic wore through the covering, there were tire tracks, if you will, through the snow and down to the road surface.  Of course those tracks tended to wander outside of the driving lane.  When she followed those tracks, the lane keeping feature would get glimpses of the painted lines and try to steer the vehicle left or right.....not what you want to have happen in a icy situation.  Based on her observations, I scrolled through the driver assist menu and changed the setting from (I believe) "Correction" to "Alert Only".  The next day, the Mrs's said the wheel buzzed slightly but did not try to redirect the car.....much better.  Come spring, I am not sure we will turn the "correction" option back on as we found that it seemed to take action at about the same time as the driver and it tended to make the adjustment rather abrupt.  Also, our family seems somewhat performance oriented and we generally take an 'outside-to-inside-to-outside' cornering approach and have found the lane keeping system does not seem to like us hugging the lines.      

I just saw my collision detection or whatever alert me once since I set the sensitivity to high, put it back on normal after that.  The lane keeping though has not alerted once and I have let it roam into the other lane when empty to test it.  Nothing at all, alert or bump the wheel.  Does the cruise need to be on or something?

17 minutes ago, jamie1073 said:

I just saw my collision detection or whatever alert me once since I set the sensitivity to high, put it back on normal after that.  The lane keeping though has not alerted once and I have let it roam into the other lane when empty to test it.  Nothing at all, alert or bump the wheel.  Does the cruise need to be on or something?

Have to be doing over 45mph and button on the turn signal stock pressed. Needs roads with lane markings. 

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:00 PM, Fingernip said:

That is interesting. Some of the early complaints was the lack of icon. The piped in engine noise is gone in my build though. Build date 12/9/18. 

I am seriously contemplating purchasing a new ST sometime in April. I too hate the fake piped-in engine noise. Can anyone confirm that all vehicles built after at least 12/9/2018 have the piped-in engine noise eliminated or at least have the ability via Sync 3 or otherwise, to be turned off? Thanks.

Edited by alblundo

On 2/20/2019 at 7:28 AM, alblundo said:

I am seriously contemplating purchasing a new ST sometime in April. I too hate the fake piped-in engine noise. Can anyone confirm that all vehicles built after at least 12/9/2018 have the piped-in engine noise eliminated or at least have the ability via Sync 3 or otherwise, to be turned off? Thanks.

It's not there on mine, build date Dec 19th 2018.

Edited by Rimcrim

• 3 weeks later...

I just picked up a Metallic White ST with 401a, cold weather package and brake package. I did not order it, dealer had it on the lot and purchased with x-plan. Build Date looks to be around December 10th. Loving the car so far, its been a fun step up from my 2013 Fusion Ti. 

A few things I've noticed and wanted to add to what others have mentioned:

1. My home display on the sync3 screen shows ONLY the heated steering wheel icon, no heated/cooled seats buttons. 

2. No fake engine noise. Although if I accelarate hard, even in regular D mode, the engine gets noticeably louder, and almost fake sounding. Not sure if they changed it to happen only in certain situations or if its just my imagination.

3. I haven't noticed the adaptive head lights moving while driving, but sitting in the garage, on first start they do move a little. 

I do have an issue with Sync3. it will not pair to any of my phones. It just tells me my phone doesn't have any sync compatible features. I can pull the battery and drain power and bring everything back on, and it will pair normally one time, and then won't pair again. I have a appointment with the dealer to work on this Next week, but just wondering if anyone had dealt with this on any other vehicles. 

On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 3:05 PM, benk016 said:

I just picked up a Metallic White ST with 401a, cold weather package and brake package. I did not order it, dealer had it on the lot and purchased with x-plan. Build Date looks to be around December 10th. Loving the car so far, its been a fun step up from my 2013 Fusion Ti. 

A few things I've noticed and wanted to add to what others have mentioned:

1. My home display on the sync3 screen shows ONLY the heated steering wheel icon, no heated/cooled seats buttons. 

2. No fake engine noise. Although if I accelarate hard, even in regular D mode, the engine gets noticeably louder, and almost fake sounding. Not sure if they changed it to happen only in certain situations or if its just my imagination.

3. I haven't noticed the adaptive head lights moving while driving, but sitting in the garage, on first start they do move a little. 

I do have an issue with Sync3. it will not pair to any of my phones. It just tells me my phone doesn't have any sync compatible features. I can pull the battery and drain power and bring everything back on, and it will pair normally one time, and then won't pair again. I have a appointment with the dealer to work on this Next week, but just wondering if anyone had dealt with this on any other vehicles. 

Very glad to hear that the fake engine noise has been eliminated. Now Ford really needs to address the issues with the 8 seed transmission. Seems to me that with the added power and torque and the lower differential ratio, this vehicle should be capable of a flat 5 second 0-60. I was planning to order mine in April however  I may wait for the 2020's with the hope that the transmission issues will be resolved. I have never owned a Ford before and am not sure they will provide a software upgrade for 2019 vehicles once resolved.  Any thoughts?

17 hours ago, ONEDGE16 said:

You can add heated/cooled seats icons on homescreen using Forscan. They will show left and right of the heated steering wheel icon.

Guess its time to bust out forscan for this car. I do wish there was a physical button for the steering wheel though. I rarely have my screen at the home screen. I typically am at the radio screen or android auto. 

So an interesting thing I discovered when comparing to my 2015 Sport to the ST is that there are now TWO different lane systems: keeping, which is the button on the left hand stalk and was there on my 2015, and the new centering which is a steering wheel button. I was initially disappointed when the left hand stalk keeping button appeared to be no better than the 2015. Then I realized there was an entirely separate button for centering. 

24 minutes ago, neotechpc said:

So an interesting thing I discovered when comparing to my 2015 Sport to the ST is that there are now TWO different lane systems: keeping, which is the button on the left hand stalk and was there on my 2015, and the new centering which is a steering wheel button. I was initially disappointed when the left hand stalk keeping button appeared to be no better than the 2015. Then I realized there was an entirely separate button for centering. 

Yes, lane keeping is exactly the same as its always been, except unlike my 2013 Fusion that had it, its always on by default. The Fusion you had to turn it on every time. 

The lane centering only works when you are using the adaptive cruise, and when its active it constantly is steering the vehicle. It seems to work pretty well so far too. It does take some getting used to as sometimes it feels like its fighting against you if you're actively steering while it is also. 

1 hour ago, benk016 said:

Guess its time to bust out forscan for this car. I do wish there was a physical button for the steering wheel though. I rarely have my screen at the home screen. I typically am at the radio screen or android auto. 

agree about the physical button. Same for the front and lower vent controls, i would've liked to see physical buttons instead of it being in the climate screen. they have the place to have all 3 buttons and still keep it looking clean

Edge ST - add controls.jpg

• Like 1