Brake Pads & Rotor Replacement Option for Edge Sport (2016-2018)

snmjim

On 2/20/2020 at 12:49 AM, CobraRGuy said:

My experience with Stop Tech slotted rotors on my '12 Acura TL has not been good. I bought their pads and both front and rear rotors, but the rotor slots created pulsing sensations when braking. They fronts also wore out very quickly and the rears warped to the point where the first pad change required all new rotors as none of the 4 could be turned. I went with non-slotted Akebono rotors all around with Hawk LTS semi-metallic pads and am extremely happy with smooth powerful braking, low wear and so far no warpage. The only downside is, of course, increased brake dust, but that is far less important to me.

This was my experience with slotted rotors on my '11 Fusion Sport

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching this thread a bit, I had some damaged rear rotors I needed to replace and chose to upgrade the entire front and rear (and do the front brake line recall myself, cause all the dealers near me annoy the hell out of me).  I went with the Powerstop setup mentioned (slotted/drilled).  I've had EBC, StopTech (and Power Slot Cryo rotors they bought), Centric,   and a few other brands on other cars, from what I can tell the Powerstop stuff is roughly the same.   I've had some real issues with EBC and Centric in the past... with Centric pads being kind of junk and loud AF, and EBC pads either not braking well or being noisy/dusty AF.  So I figure I'd try something else.   And for the price, shipped via Amazon for free... its a no brainer. 

I am a tad concerned with the slotted aspect of the rotors,  but we'll see how it goes, I've had great success, and some nasty vibrations from certain installs of slotted/drilled rotors on some cars. 

On another topic I was browsing the Tasca, and was noticing how inexpensive the calipers, rotors, etc... are for the "Performance" big brake kit from the 2019+ Edge ST  From my math it seems you could do the full ST Performance brake package for ~ $1000 with the new calipers included.   That's WAY cheaper than the $2500 upcharge on an ST to get them added.   Anyone retrofitted them?  They don't seem to be THAT much of an improvement and do restrict wheel choices a bit.   But I found that interesting.  Larger  / Vented rear brake rotors would be nice, but I am betting you need the larger fronts as well or you'll throw the brake balance/bias all off. 

Edited by clegg78

The second set

On 3/1/2020 at 1:23 PM, 1004ron said:

7 Months and 9K mile update.

When braking at speeds 40 mph and below there's a faint growl and light vibration which changes as the speed peels off and it comes to a stop - not bad enough to make me want to rush out and buy new brakes.

The original rotors were definitely warped based on the lower frequency vibration when braking at speeds 60+ mph, but were smooth at lower speed.

My wife's 2015 Mustang with the original solid rotors is smooth at all times, so might go back to solid rotors next time.

Edit:

Sent an information request to Power Stop and within a day they responded by email and called, offering a new replacement kit.

The second set of these rotors and pads are a little better than the first set, but I'll be going back to solid rotors before these are worn.

I welcome recommendations for solid rotors and pads.

• 2 months later...
On 8/23/2021 at 9:00 AM, clegg78 said:

I've been watching this thread a bit, I had some damaged rear rotors I needed to replace and chose to upgrade the entire front and rear (and do the front brake line recall myself, cause all the dealers near me annoy the hell out of me).  I went with the Powerstop setup mentioned (slotted/drilled).  I've had EBC, StopTech (and Power Slot Cryo rotors they bought), Centric,   and a few other brands on other cars, from what I can tell the Powerstop stuff is roughly the same.   I've had some real issues with EBC and Centric in the past... with Centric pads being kind of junk and loud AF, and EBC pads either not braking well or being noisy/dusty AF.  So I figure I'd try something else.   And for the price, shipped via Amazon for free... its a no brainer. 

I am a tad concerned with the slotted aspect of the rotors,  but we'll see how it goes, I've had great success, and some nasty vibrations from certain installs of slotted/drilled rotors on some cars. 

On another topic I was browsing the Tasca, and was noticing how inexpensive the calipers, rotors, etc... are for the "Performance" big brake kit from the 2019+ Edge ST  From my math it seems you could do the full ST Performance brake package for ~ $1000 with the new calipers included.   That's WAY cheaper than the $2500 upcharge on an ST to get them added.   Anyone retrofitted them?  They don't seem to be THAT much of an improvement and do restrict wheel choices a bit.   But I found that interesting.  Larger  / Vented rear brake rotors would be nice, but I am betting you need the larger fronts as well or you'll throw the brake balance/bias all off. 

I used to think that Raybestos was to way to go, but not after taking the suggestion from an experienced mechanic told me about EBC. I installed the best rotors on my '09 Escape along with "Orange Stuff" pads (semi Metalic) and like... WoW! These brakes really grip and as you push further into the pedal they progressively bite even harder. I now have full confidence in the brakes knowing that I can rely on them. Granted there is more brake dust as result of me choosing the semi-metalic option. 

As for the $2500 performance brake option from a factory order, this is obviously over priced for what you are getting. I live in Canada and we do not have that option when ordering a new Edge St... From what I have read, the difference is size of discs and performance pads along with red calipers. Otherwise, the calipers are the same model. You can paint your calipers red for that "wow" factor with a kit for approx $60 on Amazon.

I have a 2022 Edge ST on order, "Agate Black" and plan to paint my calipers soon after taking delivery and upgrade rotors to EBC on first brake change so it may be a while on the change.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

I got tired of the growl and vibration of the StopTech drilled & slotted rotors, so yesterday I installed Centric Hi-Carbon rotors and Centric PQ ceramic pads, and so far very pleased with the results.

They come with a black coating on the outside - I painted both sides and the edge with high temp caliper paint.

Bought from RockAuto

Rotors $95 each

Pad set $50

CENTRIC 12561120 {125.61120, 125-61120} (High Carbon) High Carbon Alloy
Front; 345mm Front Disc

CENTRIC 50018180 {500.18180, 500-18180} (Premium) PQ PRO
Front

https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/centric,50018180,brake+pad,1684

IMG_8497.JPG

IMG_8499.JPG

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 6

• 5 months later...
22 hours ago, rod.charlie said:

Could someone please help. I need to replace my front brake pads on my 2016 Ford Edge Sport. I need the full procedure of doing the job above. Thanks.

Get an electronic copy of the factory service manual, it's awesome, best I've ever seen!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, rod.charlie said:

When doing a front pad replacement, would I need to release the cap on the brake fluid reservoir, as I’m pushing back the pistons in the calliper?

No

But if fluid has been added while the pads were worn, you may end up with overfill spillage at the reservoir. 

And, just for the sake of saying it (although no one does it) you might consider cracking the bleeder on the caliper and pushing the fluid out instead of back up stream. Any thermal aging that has happened is better removed from the system than forced back into service. 

Think of it as a small scale flush of the brake Fluid. 

• Like 3

When doing a brake job, wether big or small we always recommend a full fluid flush, can't go wrong there...???

Note: brake fluid is one of the highest moisture absorbing fluids which in turn leads to caliper, wheel cylinder & master Cyl corrosion and/or seizing.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
On 6/4/2022 at 1:15 PM, 1004ron said:

I got tired of the growl and vibration of the StopTech drilled & slotted rotors, so yesterday I installed Centric Hi-Carbon rotors and Centric PQ ceramic pads, and so far very pleased with the results.

They come with a black coating on the outside - I painted both sides and the edge with high temp caliper paint.

Hey @1004ron, it's been almost a year, so how are the Centric rotors/pads working out for you in regards to performance and rust/corrosion resistance? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SlippyNuxx said:

Hey @1004ron, it's been almost a year, so how are the Centric rotors/pads working out for you in regards to performance and rust/corrosion resistance? 

I'm still very happy with them - smooth and quiet.

I used the same silver paint on the new front rotors and the rear, and as can be seen they still look better than they would if they weren't painted, but could do with a fresh coat of paint.

IMG_9799.JPG

IMG_9802.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...