Car and Driver Review with Test Results

Rimcrim

Car and Driver has put up a new Review of the Edge ST complete with some test results:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2019-ford-edge-st-performance

At the test track, the ST ran to 60 mph in 5.7 seconds and covered the quarter-mile in 14.3 at 98 mph, which is reasonably quick for a 4597-pound SUV that moves on waves of easy-going torque—that is, until you realize a 2015 Edge Sport we tested hit the same marks in 5.6 and 14.2 seconds (with the same trap speed), thanks in part to weighing some 160 pounds less.

Body motions are nicely controlled during spirited drives down twisty, challenging roads, with brake-based torque vectoring aiding the ST's agility (there’s no rear torque vectoring). Ride quality is commendably smooth even on the optional 21-inch wheels (20s are standard). While Ford Performance has tuned the ST's steering effort slightly to the heavy side, the action is reasonably quick and enriched with some feedback.

Chalk up most of our ST's respectable lateral grip (0.89 g) and 161-foot stop from 70 mph braking ability to the sticky P Zeroes; the previous Sport, shod with similarly sized 21-inch all seasons, managed only 0.83 g and a 176-foot stop.

• Like 3

I hope Ford sees this and can fix the performance issue.  They could do a new flash and get a safe 30 more Crank HP and torque over 400.00 and not put that much more strain on the drive train. I know it isn't a Mustang, and it is a Heavy BUT if there going to put the ST badge on they could have made it a little hotter.   We could have that done from our favorite tuner and I am sure some will but that has the risk of warranty issues which is another cluster to deal with.  I wonder if the 2020 will be any better I guess I can always wait another year :(

10 minutes ago, Jimmyw86 said:

If they just fixed the 8 speed shifting so slow, that could help. We also have to see what grade gas they put in the vehicle for testing.

I believe that LMS can adjust the transmission shifting and they can also add 30hp to the crank and still be way safe. 

I receive a lot of the car magazines such as Motor Trend , Car and Driver, Road and Track and many more . Everyone of them pan American cars They will rave about the performance of a Honda SUV with 100hp less than an Edge ST and say things like plenty of power for for a SUV. While the Ford Edge ST is 2 seconds faster to 60MPH is stated as slow and underpowered. They love the foreign car market ! Always have always will.

Edited by Xtra

2 hours ago, Fingernip said:

The update is exactly what I expected. Reviews will vary wildly in 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. It’s reached near parity with the 2015 sport while gaining 2 mpg and much improved suspension. Don’t forget this is NOT a vehicle competing with the sport edition. It is the replacement. 

every successor competes with it's predecessor, it's always been like that, always will.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

every successor competes with it's predecessor, it's always been like that, always will.

Thats more of a marketing gimmick and a personal opinion. Ford would love to see 2018 inventory gone. Ford met its goals making it the fastest ST vehicle and improving on the sport. Claiming it is worse than any year sport edition based on a .1 second slower 0-6 test and ignoring the 2 mpg increase while doing so is just ridiculous. Nearly every aspect of it is an improvement and you really have to ignore facts to convince yourself otherwise.  

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 5:23 AM, Fingernip said:

Thats more of a marketing gimmick and a personal opinion. Ford would love to see 2018 inventory gone. Ford met its goals making it the fastest ST vehicle and improving on the sport. Claiming it is worse than any year sport edition based on a .1 second slower 0-6 test and ignoring the 2 mpg increase while doing so is just ridiculous. Nearly every aspect of it is an improvement and you really have to ignore facts to convince yourself otherwise.  

Thats the same as saying, when the new body style Mustang comes out, comparing it to the outgoing model is a gimmick. It's not a gimmick, it's the baseline for going forward. 2010 Sport was out done by the 2011-14 Sport which was outdone by the 2015-18 Sport and Now we have the ST, that out does all of them in MPG and highest price....that's not what people want. I'm still waiting on tuned 1/4 mile times to really judge if it's faster, cause we all know that LMS dyno numbers on the tuned ST are very very low

Who is buying a performance crossover with MPG on their mind? they make a 2.o for those people.

Edited by Nick Halstead

19 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

Thats the same as saying, when the new body style Mustang comes out, comparing it to the outgoing model is a gimmick. It's not a gimmick, it's the baseline for going forward. 2010 Sport was out done by the 2011-14 Sport which was outdone by the 2015-18 Sport and Now we have the ST, that out does all of them in MPG and highest price....that's not what people want. I'm still waiting on tuned 1/4 mile times to really judge if it's faster, cause we all know that LMS dyno numbers on the tuned ST are very very low

Who is buying a performance crossover with MPG on their mind? they make a 2.o for those people.

But what your claiming is a son is a fathers competitor. It’s simply a predecesor. The outgoing model will become unavailable as a new car. They are not positioned to compete with each other. 

5 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

But what your claiming is a son is a fathers competitor. It’s simply a predecesor. The outgoing model will become unavailable as a new car. They are not positioned to compete with each other. 

I'm in no way saying they are marketed towards each other. That is silly. I'm stating that the previous gen is the basis for the upcoming change. It's the spirit of competition. You wouldn't buy a brand new iphone if the specs were less than your current iphone. quite frankly, if I was shopping for an Edge right now, and you had an 19 ST and a 18/19 (dunno what they called all the sports sold this year) Edge Sport, I would take the Sport in a heart beat due to the huge price difference, and it's not cause I own a Sport either, cause I'd trade my Sport tomorrow if this S7 was just a tad lower in price.

12 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

I'm in no way saying they are marketed towards each other. That is silly. I'm stating that the previous gen is the basis for the upcoming change. It's the spirit of competition. You wouldn't buy a brand new iphone if the specs were less than your current iphone. quite frankly, if I was shopping for an Edge right now, and you had an 19 ST and a 18/19 (dunno what they called all the sports sold this year) Edge Sport, I would take the Sport in a heart beat due to the huge price difference, and it's not cause I own a Sport either, cause I'd trade my Sport tomorrow if this S7 was just a tad lower in price.

I would buy a current year (Enter item here) reguardless of the previous generation specs if I was in the market for a new (Enter item here) rather than used. As long as it meets all of my needs and compares well to it’s actual competitors. Progress is what makes products tend to move forward. Competition from other brands and consumer demand. It is not the need to outdo the predecessor. That is personal opinion and marketing gimmick 

3 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

I would buy a current year (Enter item here) reguardless of the previous generation specs if I was in the market for a new (Enter item here) rather than used. As long as it meets all of my needs and compares well to it’s actual competitors. Progress is what makes products tend to move forward. Competition from other brands and consumer demand. It is not the need to outdo the predecessor. That is personal opinion and marketing gimmick 

all the 2nd Gen 2018 Edges are still new, I'm not talking about buying a used car. 2nd gens are still outnumbering 2.5gens on lots(the ones I've been to to look for a ST). Shit I haven't even seen a 2.5 gen period on the road and that's two major cities, San Diego and Phoenix.

7 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

all the 2nd Gen 2018 Edges are still new, I'm not talking about buying a used car. 2nd gens are still outnumbering 2.5gens on lots(the ones I've been to to look for a ST). Shit I haven't even seen a 2.5 gen period on the road and that's two major cities, San Diego and Phoenix.

New but discontinued. Any 2018 is just dealer stock or unallocated inventory. Ford will offer huge markdowns to sell them off even risking 2019 sales. 

4 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

yeah, thats why I said I'd take the 18, financially it's the better deal cause your still getting the same performance

Depends on what you are looking for. The fuel savings will eventually catch up in pricing on the ST and the inferior handling of the sport makes it not truly parity in performance. For me the omission of the Sony sound system, exterior changes and added fuel economy make the 2019 a better option. 

Edited by Fingernip

4 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

Depends on what you are looking for. The fuel savings will eventually catch up in pricing on the ST and the inferior handling of the sport makes it not truly parity in performance. For me the omission of the Sony sound system, exterior changes and added fuel economy make the 2019 a better option. 

you keep talking about MPG, when the Department of Energy lists the Edge Sport and ST getting the same exact fuel economy... My wife gets 23mpg in my tuned sport, so as far as I am concerned MPG is totally irrelevant specially if buying a performance vehicle that requires premium for opt performance. Fuel economy was a major factor in someones car buying decision, they def would not be looking at a performance crossover requiring premium to obtain peak performance

18 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

you keep talking about MPG, when the Department of Energy lists the Edge Sport and ST getting the same exact fuel economy... My wife gets 23mpg in my tuned sport, so as far as I am concerned MPG is totally irrelevant specially if buying a performance vehicle that requires premium for opt performance. Fuel economy was a major factor in someones car buying decision, they def would not be looking at a performance crossover requiring premium to obtain peak performance

So you nit pick the data that best supports your end decision to buy a 2018? c&D 0-60 numbers and ignore skid pad and owner impressions. Official MPG rating rather than test obeservations and owner claims.   You argue it’s not proper “competition” for the outgoing model regardless if it was ford’s intent it does beat the 2018 in just about everything. So I guess the 2018 was a terrible step up from the 2017 by your standards. 

Edited by Fingernip

The st is rated for better mileage than my 13. Sure it requires premium and have no idea what I will truly get for mileage but the power and mileage was part of what made me decide on an st and if it gets 2 mpg better than my 13 it almost offsets the cost of premium. 

Edited by Perblue

2 hours ago, Perblue said:

I do wonder how much that affects power and mileage though. Kind of disappointed max I can find around here is 91.

Some of the tests were done with 91. The C&D doesn’t even say what was used (at least I didn’t see). I doubt it’s a Ton of lost power at 87 given the compression ratio. It might be more for heavy track use with tons of heat soak to guarantee power without risk of preignition. 

Edited by Fingernip