Any changes expected for the 2020 Ford Edge ST ?

vmaxbaby

I realize it is early 2019 but has anyone heard anything about the 2020 edge ST as far as changes etc?  I will be going to Washington DC in April 2019 to the International CarShow and will be asking one of the Ford reps that will be there about any info on the 2020, but I find members on this forum seems to know things way before anyone else does which is cool.  Once I get back I will post up anything I find out for sure. 

I heard the 2020's are bumping horsepower and torque by 25% and dropping the price 10% due to slow sales for the 2019s...

Just kidding, wanted to see how many current buyers like myself were freaking out right now! ?

Edited by MrHappy
Grammar

I could believe the dropping price part,  but the HP part I knew something wasn't right because Ford is claiming the ST Explorer is their fastest ever SUV.  Our local dealer has had 2 of them since the first of the year  and when I went to look at the red one I ask how are the ST sales going.  He said they have sold allot of new Edge's but only one ST.   I ask why and he said the most of the people coming in like the looks of the ST but they complain about the price saying it is out of their budge for a family SUV or say they don't need that extra power.  I am thinking great when I go to get mine I will I hope to get deal :)

IMG_8058.jpg

I don't think it is because the st is a little higher priced than what the sport was though. Canadian msrp is only a couple thousand more than a sport max. Around here there aren't even that many sports driving around. The economy is down and the sweet spot for buyers has always been the sel, what you see the most on the lot and driving around.

All the negative reviews haven't helped draw in the type of buyer that would be interested in it either. It really is one that needs to be test driven and unfortunately probably gets written off before that type of buyer gets to that point. I love mine, my family describes it like being in a roller coaster. ?

Yea allot of negative review,  youtube is tearing it up it seems,  but most of the negative review is the transmission shifts.  Some hate the interior because it doesn't look like a Acura RDX inside and I agree it could have been more updated like the Explorer St is but I can live with all that.  Just want quick shifts, and nice acceleration which hoping Ford fixes and for the few extra things I will do myself like tune, exhaust.  Not looking to make this a street beast I have that already just need a family SUV that will get up and go a little and still have some halfway decent gas mileage which makes the edge a perfect fit,  unlike a SRT Durango / Jeep which has over 400 hp but 19 highway which is probably 17 highway would get old after a while :( 

That huge IPAD looking screen doesn't seem right.  If it was down lower or something but from the internet pictures it looks like they just dropped it above  the radio. If you look at a 2019 Dodge Ram they have a huge screen but it fits right.  Not to side track but I have been a Ford guy most my life, 8 mustangs, 2 trucks, 4 focuses, 1 Thunderbird, 1 Festiva, and 1 Fiesta but I have to give it to dodge their truck looks really nice and their SUV's are impressive when it comes to performance.   If I didn't have one vehicle already that drank gas I would consider a SRT of something,  but after about of month of owning I would be sick of the 15 mpg I would average :)  Not sure how Dodge reliability is either but I am impressed with the looks and performance of dodge. 

19 minutes ago, vmaxbaby said:

That huge IPAD looking screen doesn't seem right.  If it was down lower or something but from the internet pictures it looks like they just dropped it above  the radio. If you look at a 2019 Dodge Ram they have a huge screen but it fits right.  Not to side track but I have been a Ford guy most my life, 8 mustangs, 2 trucks, 4 focuses, 1 Thunderbird, 1 Festiva, and 1 Fiesta but I have to give it to dodge their truck looks really nice and their SUV's are impressive when it comes to performance.   If I didn't have one vehicle already that drank gas I would consider a SRT of something,  but after about of month of owning I would be sick of the 15 mpg I would average :)  Not sure how Dodge reliability is either but I am impressed with the looks and performance of dodge. 

I don't like the screen cause it does not retract, but I know Ford put it there for line of sight, you don't have to look down off the road to view the screen you can easily view the screen and road. It's hideous, but it has it's purpose. I actually love the minimalist design of the Explorer button layout, reminds me of my Audi, it's not over cluttered and gives you everything you need. With cars no longer coming with CD players, it frees up a lot of space!

Dodge reliability is still shotty, if you have a good dealership you should be good to go. I mean their warranty is longer than Fords, so that is a plus! though their 8spd transmissions in the SRTs are freaking amazing!

6 hours ago, diesel97 said:

I agree with people say the price of the ST to the Sport is not that bad but IMO the Sport was way overpriced to start with

Same vehicle, ST is priced more due to the upgrades to the Sport. BOTH vehicles are overpriced, in hindsight my almost $50k 2015 Sport should have an actual MSRP of maybe $32k

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PrinzII said:

Here's an interesting thought.....

Why didn't they roll with the 9 speed that was collaborated with GM?  They are already running the 10 speed auto in various vehicles with excellent results.

Ideal for me would be an Edge ST that shifts as fast as a Camaro ZL1 with the 10 speed auto.

They did roll with the 9 speed GM collaboration with the 2.0LEB engine.  But they removed one of the gears to make it a 8 speed saying that the extra gear didn't help.

But apparently that tranny can't handle the 2.7LEB torque so they upgraded the existing 6F55 to 8 speeds.

Big differences between FWD and RWD transmissions.

On 2/17/2019 at 10:25 PM, Nick Halstead said:

Same vehicle, ST is priced more due to the upgrades to the Sport. BOTH vehicles are overpriced, in hindsight my almost $50k 2015 Sport should have an actual MSRP of maybe $32k

I don't know how that would be possible.. You cant even spec out a similarly equipped kia for that price range. 

Just now, akirby said:

They did roll with the 9 speed GM collaboration with the 2.0LEB engine.  But they removed one of the gears to make it a 8 speed saying that the extra gear didn't help.

But apparently that tranny can't handle the 2.7LEB torque so they upgraded the existing 6F55 to 8 speeds.

Big differences between FWD and RWD transmissions.

You have confirmed it is the 6F55 8 speed variant in the ST? I have heard stories of 8F57 being derived from the 9 speed also. I'm pretty sure the GM 9 speed can handle the 2.7L torque. I have seen articles saying it was the 6F35 that had gears added for the regular trim models to make the 8F35

10 hours ago, Fingernip said:

You have confirmed it is the 6F55 8 speed variant in the ST? I have heard stories of 8F57 being derived from the 9 speed also. I'm pretty sure the GM 9 speed can handle the 2.7L torque. I have seen articles saying it was the 6F35 that had gears added for the regular trim models to make the 8F35

I checked that myself earlier and compared the transmission ratios of the Edge Sport to the ST & found that all six ratios of the Sport are included in the ST with the addition of an extra ratio between the 2nd & 3rd (edit: correct is between 1st & 2nd) of the Sport & an extra overdrive, beyond the Sport's overdrive. I'll try to look for the table comparison I made and post it here. 

Edited by omar302

34 minutes ago, Fingernip said:

I'm pretty sure the GM 9 speed can handle the 2.7L torque. I have seen articles saying it was the 6F35 that had gears added for the regular trim models to make the 8F35

The GM 9 speed is only used with engines up to 310 hp and 268 lb/ft of torque.   GM doesn't have any high output transverse engines.  

It also makes sense that the new tranny would be used in more fuel efficient applications (smaller engines). 

But I don't know 100% for sure either way.

1 hour ago, Fingernip said:

I don't know how that would be possible.. You cant even spec out a similarly equipped kia for that price range. 

I didn't say you could. I'm pretty blunt and honest when it comes to my vehicle ownership. I''m just telling you, what I think it's worth, through my experience. Value is really just a number someone comes up with anyway. I just sold a pair of Adidas for $700. not everyone is gonna see value in that. Which is fine. Love my Edge, but my 2013 was leaps and bounds built better across the board than the 15+ I'm still seeing the same misaligned panels on 19 Edges that were pointed out in 2015. Then factor in my Edges 7 months total sitting at the dealer to fix the same thing 4 times, mainly dealership issue and no so much Edge but you still have people going back for 3 and 4th oil pan replacements. pretty soon, they wont be covered under warranty and the Edge is looking like a nightmare to maintain outside of warranty. Ford is pretty smart for having a low 36k warranty cause thats the earliest date profits comeback to the company. 

24 minutes ago, Nick Halstead said:

I didn't say you could. I'm pretty blunt and honest when it comes to my vehicle ownership. I''m just telling you, what I think it's worth, through my experience. Value is really just a number someone comes up with anyway. I just sold a pair of Adidas for $700. not everyone is gonna see value in that. Which is fine. Love my Edge, but my 2013 was leaps and bounds built better across the board than the 15+ I'm still seeing the same misaligned panels on 19 Edges that were pointed out in 2015. Then factor in my Edges 7 months total sitting at the dealer to fix the same thing 4 times, mainly dealership issue and no so much Edge but you still have people going back for 3 and 4th oil pan replacements. pretty soon, they wont be covered under warranty and the Edge is looking like a nightmare to maintain outside of warranty. Ford is pretty smart for having a low 36k warranty cause thats the earliest date profits comeback to the company. 

I agree.. In general inflation is crazy. Those who have purchased cars over the span of at least a few decades are getting some serious sticker shock now. But a $30,000 car today is about the same value of a $3,500 car in 1970. Homes are even worse though.. from about $30,000 40 years ago to $180,000 today. One of the problems though is American labor is insanely expensive and it drags the cost of American goods with it. When you add import taxes to the equation that just get relayed directly to the consumer you get shoddy corner cutting products with disgusting price tags. I have a 1986 Lincoln MarkVII in my garage with sheet metal thick enough to stand on the gigantic hood without leaving a dent. You cant even lean on any body panels on the Edge without sinking in. 

Oh also my 2011 I would say is close to parity in build quality to my 2019 so far that I have noticed. They fixed some issues and added some new ones. Definitely the sacrificial components are much lower quality such as the floor mats. The rear quarter window trim is squishy on the 2019 which i don't like but my 2011 door seals would fall off if touched too hard. 

Edited by Fingernip

I debated long and hard before purchasing my 2017 Sport over waiting for a 2019 ST.  it took a while before the 2015+ grew on me. I like the front the rear not so much. But If I want to upgrade, I would do it within 2-3 years when the ST comes down to the low-mid 30's on the used market. 

I try not to buy new vehicles. Its not the price its the depreciation that bothers me.  Like Nick said value is a made up number. I also like to think of value as what someone is willing to pay for an item.  If I was considering shelling out 50+k There are other options that offer better performance / looks etc. 

I like the ST. Don't get me wrong, my post does not exhibit any hate towards the ST nor is a negative reflection of anyone who chose to buy a new ST.  When and if the time comes for another vehicle I will give the ST a long hard look. By that time I hope and pray that whatever issues people are experiencing will be addressed and resolved by then. 

7 minutes ago, akirby said:

Street price is in the high 40s.   What else can you get in that price range with similar size and performance?

Seriously nothing at all. Closest you will get is maybe a durango R/T or similar but wont handle as well and wont be as quick. The ST starts at 43K in the US and ill bet there are some the leave dealer lots at or below 40K in base trim.