Edge ST features & improvements over Edge Sport

Gregertech

I wanted to start a comprehensive list all of the new features and improvements that were made to the ST as compared to the outgoing Edge Sport.

Feel free to list anything I may have missed or more details on what I have listed.

• Updated, more modern front and rear fascias. Gloss mesh grill (40% more airflow than titanium), LED High & How beams, LED Fog Lamps, Integrated LED DRLs, updated LED tail lights, revised inverted hood (annoying humps on left/right side of old hood are gone).
  • Increased HP and Torque (+20 hp, +30 ft-lb). The quickest ST sold to public so far.
  • New Eight-speed automatic, quicker & smoother off the line acceleration (performance tuned for ST)
  • Intelligent All-Wheel Drive Disconnect
  • Engine Auto Start/Stop
  • Increased real world gas mileage, +2 mpg city/hwy/mixed
  • Performance Brake package, 21" gloss black aluminum wheels, larger front vented rotors and front pistons, red calipers, high friction pads, vented brake shields & Brushless Radiator cooling fan. (package removes spare tire and replaces with flat tire kit)
  • 21" gloss black aluminum wheels are optional without brake package
  • Larger solid sway bars, Monotube shocks in rear, stiffer springs 15% f / 20% r. less body roll without sacrificing ride quality
  • Torque Vectoring Control
  • AdvanceTrac with RSC (Roll Stability and Curve Control)
  • Performance tuned suspension
  • Slightly heavier steering feel (adaptive steering removed)
  • New front seats with improved side bolstering, ST logo & stitching
  • Co-pilot 360 (BLIS w/ Cross Traffic Alert, Adaptive Cruise with stop & go, Lane keeping, Pre-collision assist with automatic braking, Evasive Steering)
  • Thicker leather wrapped steering wheel with white stiching
  • Bang & Olufsen sound system (very noticeable improvement over previous Sony system)
  • Rotary Gear Shifter with Sport button (frees up interior space, easier to use)
  • Wireless charging pad
  • Ford Pass connect with WiFi Hotspot
  • Ford+Alexa use Amazon Alexa from the road
  • Integrated Tow package is standard (factory tow package was not available on previous Sport models)
  • Rear camera washer (seems insignificant but this is awesome, especially if you drive in snowy conditions)
  • Brighter LED rear backup light, improved rear camera visibility at night (prior models were noticeably dim)
  • Interior door handle LED lights change color to red when headlights are on and doors open. (I assume it's to help alert oncoming traffic. did not notice if this was on the sport or not)
Edited by Gregertech
  • Like 1

Are there any tests yet where the HP pans out to better performance?  It is possible the Sport already had the extra HP/Torque.  Drove the MKX before buying the Edge, and there was zero difference on the ass dyno for both 2.7TTs.  Would not be the first time a company has done this to "upsell" a more expensive product.  

Edited by Edge E
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Edge E said:

Are there any tests yet where the HP pans out to better performance?  It is possible the Sport already had the extra HP/Torque.  Drove the MKX before buying the Edge, and there was zero difference on the ass dyno for both 2.7TTs.  Would not be the first time a company has done this to "upsell" a more expensive product.  

The difference is usually octane - 93 vs. 87.  If the transmission was working correctly the ST might have a slight advantage, but currently the ST is probably the same speed if not slower.

3 hours ago, Fingernip said:

Ford has never claimed the ST was faster in a straight line than the sport. 93 vs 93 with stock tunes the ST MIGHT edge it out but on any sort of autocross track the ST would make the sport look silly. 

Actually Ford has never mentioned the ST and Sport at the same time.  Nor should they.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I noticed a nice feature that I don't think my Sport had. When the front wipers are activated and you shift into reverse the rear wiper will activate to clear the window. The first time or two this happened I thought I may have accidentally activated the rear wiper or left it on. Now I know! :)

11 hours ago, Gregertech said:

I noticed a nice feature that I don't think my Sport had. When the front wipers are activated and you shift into reverse the rear wiper will activate to clear the window. The first time or two this happened I thought I may have accidentally activated the rear wiper or left it on. Now I know! :)

This is a feature enabled/disabled in the vehicles settings in the left instrument cluster display. Had it on my 2011 MKX and also in the 2016 Sport ?.

Edit:

Just looked in my 2016 Sport & the menu is not there! But the feature is working. Not sure if it was there & maybe due to ForScan edits it disappeared or not.

Edited by omar302

On 5/13/2019 at 3:47 PM, Gregertech said:

My 2016 Focus ST had this feature and so does my mom's MKC and my dad's Escape.  It is a handy feature. 

• 3 months later...

Is it only my imagination or there is a weak back-illumination of the central console buttons cluster even at day light? The letters' visibility is much better compare to my 2016 Sport in which they were not readable at all at some day-lightning conditions.   

Edited by Tronjo

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, zinc03svt said:

The 18 plus Gen II 2.7 Ecoboost motor is updated quite a bit from the outgoing 15-17 Gen I 2.7. 

That's the F-150 version. Nothing was mentioned regarding the Edge's 2.7. All information indicate it is still the same engine since 2015, except for a slight power increase in 2019 which matches the 2016-2018 MKX.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, zinc03svt said:

This old news. All 2019 up 2.7 ecoboosts got the update to the F-150 specs. Lot of improvements for strengthening and durability. 
Second paragraph if you need help. ;).

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/a14783801/2019-ford-edge-st-specs-info-pictures/

The article does not state that the 2.7 was the gen 2 update......only it was like the f150 2.7.   A gen 2 version would be a huge selling point and ford completely left that information out of the sales marketing for the ST.  So I think the article is miss-leading.   I have yet to read anywhere about the gen2 update for the edge. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, zinc03svt said:

This old news. All 2019 up 2.7 ecoboosts got the update to the F-150 specs. Lot of improvements for strengthening and durability. 
Second paragraph if you need help. ;).

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-shows/detroit-auto-show/a14783801/2019-ford-edge-st-specs-info-pictures/

One of the main changes to the 2nd gen EcoBoost V6 is adding port injection with direct injection. The 2020 Edge ST specifications still show direct injection only.

The F-150 EcoBoost specifications shows PFI+DI (Port Fuel Injection + Direct Injection).

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, zinc03svt said:

Lol. Internet Auto forums. 

LOL people who can’t admit they’re wrong,  They only updated the RWD version, not the Transverse version.  You can see it in the torque.  The 2nd gen has about 25 more hp than the 1st gen.  The 2019 Edge ST has the same power as the 2015-18 sport.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...