Side Mirror drip

IcyFridge

Anyone have a remedy for the side view mirrors dripping water over a long period of time?

For example, I did a full wash and detail on my Edge last weekend. Even one day later, closing the front doors will cause water to drip out onto the body from the side mirrors. I had the same issue with my old Jeep JK and drilled a hole under the mirror plastic to help it drain. Think that would do the trick here?

1 hour ago, ONEDGE16 said:

I usually use a leaf blower to flush as much of the water out, then fold the mirror in, manuallly dry, fold it out the opposite way and manually dry again

26 minutes ago, Gadgetjq said:

Try folding the mirrors toward the door to help them drain then angle the mirrors all the way down and in for access and use pressurized air (leaf blower, compressor or canned air) to help evaporate whatever's left. 

I never heard nor ever thought of doing that! I've used a leaf blower before and its pretty good of blowing water out of the crevices but I never thought about folding the mirrors in.   Thanks for the Tip!

• 1 year later...

The water drip issue is a huge pain. Just when I think the water is all drained from the mirrors and I've dried off the doors for the final time I'll come out an hour later and there will be a long water spot streak down the sides of the doors. The last thing I want to do is carry a leaf blower around with me every time I go to the car wash lol. Looking under the mirror I can see that most of the water is dripping from the seam where the plastic trim fits around the mirror. I am considering using some clear silicone to seal it up or maybe drill a small hole so it drains quicker.

14 hours ago, Gregertech said:

The water drip issue is a huge pain. Just when I think the water is all drained from the mirrors and I've dried off the doors for the final time I'll come out an hour later and there will be a long water spot streak down the sides of the doors. The last thing I want to do is carry a leaf blower around with me every time I go to the car wash lol. Looking under the mirror I can see that most of the water is dripping from the seam where the plastic trim fits around the mirror. I am considering using some clear silicone to seal it up or maybe drill a small hole so it drains quicker.

I feal your pain. But I worry that sealing it up would cause the water to remain trapped inside for a long period with who knows what side effects. Drilling a hole might cause a whistling noise at speed. Tell us what you eventually do. I just lived it for the past few years. Even considered putting a bag over the mirrors during washing and then just wipe them later on.

Edited by omar302

3 hours ago, WWWPerfA_ZN0W said:

There are smaller units than leaf blowers but they do cost and are corded.

https://smile.amazon.com/Metro-Blaster-Sidekick-Professional-Motorcycle/dp/B00UC8E9LQ/

Our car washing places have air hoses to use for blowing away water and dust from hard to reach places, but the side mirrors still drip water after getting up to speed or taking mild turns.

• Sad 1

I was wondering if I was the only one annoyed by this. Finally one day I got sick of it and zip tied a small bag around the mirrors, washed the car, and it helped so much. I just wiped the mirrors off with a damp cloth(with no pressure applied) to remove dust/debris, then detail sprayed it, waxed it, and they both turned out great. 

Before this this I was very tempted to just wrap the mirror in a chamois cloth to absorb everything. Lol. 

Edited by CrackedDSM
  • Like 2

Its bugged me since new, and the first vehicle I've had this issue with.

I used a can of air to blast them before leaving the car wash and then when I get home I use spray quick detailer to get rid of the water marks down the side of the car.

A new car wash opened closer to my home and their air dry nozzles are better so I no longer use the air in a can and just wipe off a few spots when I get home.

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

So it occurred to me since the car wash I go to includes free vacuuming that I could use the vacuum to suck all of the excess water out of the mirrors. I've tried it a few times and so far it seems to be working good. No more water spot streaks down my doors! There's a seam under the mirrors where the plastic meets the metal which traps water and I have to vacuum that out too. It's an extra hassle to even have to do this but its better than the alternative.

Edited by Gregertech
  • Like 1