Update Your Gen2 Edge To The Latest Sync Version

For those who want the latest, greatest version of Sync for their Gen2 Edges someone has come up with a way to install version 3.4 without having to jump through (too many) hoops.  You'll find all the information and files you need here:  https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/update-ford-sync-3-2-2-3-0-to-version-3-4-all-years-3-4-19200/?fbclid=IwAR3j_xhNZg06dIXYp67VWEFESs4ez58lOtr7IcRtcmIaYhFl9grbT4YDHIc

Is there any risk you'll brick your current Gen3.0 APIM?  Probably.  Can you roll back to V3.0 if you don't like 3.4?  The page says maybe not.  Is this for the faint of heart?  Definitely not.

If you decide to try it please post your experience and results (photos would be nice).  Does 3.4 run faster or slower than your current 3.0?  Are there some dandy features that really make this a worthwhile update?  Is Waze now a native app for Android users or is it still an Android Auto only add on?   Can users import their own custom backgrounds (like Sync2 users could)?  Is something missing (like GT Theme) that you enjoyed with 3.0?  Etc.

• Like 2

I upgraded to SYNC 3.4 plenty of benefits. The reward is worth the risk and it's definitely not for the faint of heart!  You can not roll back to your previous version of SYNC because 3.4 utilizes an entirely different format process.

Personally I have not tried to roll back to my previous version of SYNC. I do believe that one can nuke and pave the drive and then install a previous version of SYNC. 

3.4 runs faster than 3.0. It is more responsive. Feels like a new head unit.  The biggest benefit of is that you get the 118 map update for free! 

Waze is not a native app. You still have to connect your phone to use Waze on Carplay and Android Auto.  I have not tried to import a custom back ground. Not sure if you can or can not.  You can access the test/diagnostic menu and change themes. If you change a theme it will revert back to normal when you restart the edge. The only way to permanently enable a theme is to do so via forscan. 

Some users have complained/ mentioned that they do not have icons for Sirius xm stations.  If that is important to you then you may want to reconsider upgrading via this method. 

The process can take up to 30 minutes using usb 3.0. Play with the features and give it a few minutes then do a master reset. 

pic.png

Edited by onyxbfly
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, onyxbfly said:

I upgraded to SYNC 3.4 plenty of benefits. The reward is worth the risk and it's definitely not for the faint of heart!  You can not roll back to your previous version of SYNC because 3.4 utilizes an entirely different format process.

Personally I have not tried to roll back to my previous version of SYNC. I do believe that one can nuke and pave the drive and then install a previous version of SYNC. 

3.4 runs faster than 3.0. It is more responsive. Feels like a new head unit.  The biggest benefit of is that you get the 118 map update for free! 

Waze is not a native app. You still have to connect your phone to use Waze on Carplay and Android Auto.  I have not tried to import a custom back ground. Not sure if you can or can not.  You can access the test/diagnostic menu and change themes. If you change a theme it will revert back to normal when you restart the edge. The only way to permanently enable a theme is to do so via forscan. 

Some users have complained/ mentioned that they do not have icons for Sirius xm stations.  If that is important to you then you may want to reconsider upgrading via this method. 

The process can take up to 30 minutes using usb 3.0. Play with the features and give it a few minutes then do a master reset. 

Don't get me wrong here… I'm not saying that it's bad… It's just that I don't see any benefit (other than some fancier graphics). :( Also, what do you mean by being "faster" and more "responsive" ?? …:headscratch:

As for Waze, I have it in my Android cell phone and I just plug it and it works, so no difference there!  As for Sirius… I don't know what "icons" you're talking about… :shrug:

Edited by 2FAST4U

10 hours ago, 2FAST4U said:

As for Waze, I have it in my Android cell phone and I just plug it and it works, so no difference there! 

It's my understanding (I haven't actually seen it) that Waze works like a native app when an iPhone is paired with Sync I.E it just appears in the 'Apps' screen along with Pandora, Ford Pass etc.  Android phones (as mentioned) need a cable for that experience.  Ford has promised Android users would also have wire free Waze for their systems so I'd hoped V3.4 would offer that. 

After some (self inflicted) angst over the build 18092 to 19025 update I'm reluctant to jump on the 3.4 bandwagon for my '16 Edge.

4 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

It's my understanding (I haven't actually seen it) that Waze works like a native app when an iPhone is paired with Sync I.E it just appears in the 'Apps' screen along with Pandora, Ford Pass etc.  Android phones (as mentioned) need a cable for that experience.  Ford has promised Android users would also have wire free Waze for their systems so I'd hoped V3.4 would offer that.

Yes, Waze works under Applink (it replaces the sync navigation when connected) which is separate from CarPlay and AA.

I have not heard anything about wireless applink.

2 hours ago, Nick Halstead said:

topic is not applicable to all GEN2 model years 

Correct! Members who have a 2019+ will eventually have access to 3.4 via conventional upgrades etc.

2 hours ago, Gadgetjq said:

Hopefully members of this forum who don't have Sync3 (2015) are aware. 

SYNC3 is 2016 + in NA, Can't speak for the rest of the planet.   2015 is MFT2, or as some like to say SYNC2.

Edited by onyxbfly

• 1 year later...
22 hours ago, Dmtaurus said:

So, will this update work on my 2015 Edge SEL?  It does not have the navigation icon but rather the information icon at the top right corner. 

Unfortunately not.  If you're located in the USA the you have a MFT2 system. If you're interested in SYNC 3 then you would need to replace the screen and APIM, GPS antennae, USB hub and you need a harness/ interface for the new USB hub since it will not be compatible with your preexisting hardware.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Dmtaurus said:

So, will this update work on my 2015 Edge SEL?  It does not have the navigation icon but rather the information icon at the top right corner. 

As @onyxbfly said, you'll need a whole more for that upgrade - I'm currently doing this on my wife's 2015 Mustang.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/sync-3-swap-its-all-in-here.82973/

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/24/2019 at 10:37 AM, onyxbfly said:

pic.png

Is there another tutorial on this somewhere? The link mentioned earlier no longer works..

11 hours ago, CM '17 Edge Sport said:

Is there another tutorial on this somewhere? The link mentioned earlier no longer works..

I can't speak to the level of your technical proficiency, Originally you had to download all the files individually and compile the install script etc..

Someone decided to build a better mouse trap! Here is a link to an site that will do all of that for you.  All you need to do is follow their directions and have your USB drives ready.......

Personally I don't have any personal experience with it, but there are tons of users that are thrilled with it....

https://cyanlabs.net/applications/syn3-updater/

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 5:50 AM, onyxbfly said:

I can't speak to the level of your technical proficiency, Originally you had to download all the files individually and compile the install script etc..

Someone decided to build a better mouse trap! Here is a link to an site that will do all of that for you.  All you need to do is follow their directions and have your USB drives ready.......

Personally I don't have any personal experience with it, but there are tons of users that are thrilled with it....

https://cyanlabs.net/applications/syn3-updater/

Used that new simple method today and it worked great.

Took about an hour to download and write to the USB drive, and 25 minutes to update the car.

I'm now on Sync 3.4 and maps updated from NA 1 18 to NA 2 20

Have you updated your APIM firmware to get features like radio logos and calm screen?

https://community.cyanlabs.net/t/updating-apim-firmware-calibration-files/17

Edited by 1004ron
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Used that new simple method today and it worked great.

Took about an hour to download and write to the USB drive, and 25 minutes to update the car.

I'm now on Sync 3.4 and maps updated from NA 1 18 to NA 2 20

Have you updated your APIM firmware to get features like radio logos and calm screen?

https://community.cyanlabs.net/t/updating-apim-firmware-calibration-files/17

Sweet! I was walking one of my coworkers through it this weekend!  He was having troubles with the the names of the files corresponding with the autoinstall.lst....  Then he asked if I would do it for him.... I asked him what if i was wasn't available to do it for him again in the future.....give a man a fish... eat for a day kinda thought....

I remoted into his PC and brought up the website and walked him through it...

He was done in a hour and half.....  He then had the audacity to ask why didn't I tell him about the website.... I didn't have any first hand experience with it. He asked what If he bricked his APIM.... I told him he would have brought lunch and a case of beer and I would sort him out. Luckily that didn't happen!

But when I left for work this morning there was a case of Shiner's on my steps!

To answer your question I have not upgraded the firmware for the APIM. I have the tools, just never got around to it!  Lets see what the weekend brings!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, onyxbfly said:

To answer your question I have not upgraded the firmware for the APIM. I have the tools, just never got around to it!  Lets see what the weekend brings!

I'm not too bothered about the "radio logos and calm screen" so won't work at that, but let us know how it goes if you do.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 1004ron said:

I'm not too bothered about the "radio logos and calm screen" so won't work at that, but let us know how it goes if you do.

Exactly why I haven't fooled around with it. I don't know the last time, I listened to public radio and even when I do its via carplay or android auto.

The new NA 2 20 maps need some custom tweaking.

On the ride to work it routed me on secondary roads, very curvy and in places only single car width, so in spite of it selected to "quickest route", it added 8 minutes to my work commute.

Still haven't found the selection to avoid the secondary roads - suggestions welcome.

3 hours ago, handfiler said:

Android Auto with Google maps has yet to fail me in 4 years of use. Always up to date and intuitive menus. Have you tried it or Car Play?

To make the experience even more seamless I have one of these on order: AA Wireless

Haha they must keep Winnipeg better mapped. In Saskatchewan it will yell at me fairly often, especially when I'm in saskatoon. It will get you there though just not always the shortest route. Granted not near as often as the ford one, I apparently drive through fields often. 

14 minutes ago, Perblue said:

Haha they must keep Winnipeg better mapped. In Saskatchewan it will yell at me fairly often, especially when I'm in saskatoon. It will get you there though just not always the shortest route. Granted not near as often as the ford one, I apparently drive through fields often. 

Lol. My 2012 Mustang still has the original map software installed for that reason. The original Sync version, what a piece of work it is.  Most of the time I leave it off and just listen to the sweet sounds of the V8. It doesn't get much use right now though. Me, the car and the garage AC don't do well in this oppressive never ending heat wave.