Key Duplicate

1 hour ago, 2011edgese said:

Anyone gotten a copy where you don't have to sell your first born?

Though I am not in the US, for my earlier 2011 MKX I had with 1 key initially, I bought a used key/Fob from eBay and got a locksmith to cut it & program it. The locksmith has to have the proper equipment for programming the key. If you already have 2 keys, then programming can be easily done without any special equipment.

On 9/16/2020 at 9:59 AM, 2011edgese said:

Have you guys found a website or store besides the dealer that can duplicate the kept on for a reasonable price? Dealer wants over 400$. Wondering if you guys found a place. This for my 2015 edge.

I have purchased two FOBS from this place for my SEL & ST.  Extremely good prices.  I was able to program with two factory keys, but they list local locksmith companies that they use to program.  Not sure what the price is, but it has to be cheaper than a dealer.

https://www.carandtruckremotes.com/

• akirby pinned this topic
  • 2 months later...

I was told by my local parts manager (Ford garage) that they are unable to cut the new keys. It requires a new type key machine that costs thousands. Only one locksmith in the county that had one and they have him cut all these new keys.

While they do mark up, it's not all that much as the locksmith charges to recover the outlay of this special key machine and charges accordingly.  (They charge more for the key blanks as well). At the time, about two-three years ago, I think they quoted $500.