Tire inner shoulder wear and no chamber adjustment

2017 Platinum Edge 51K miles. No accidents registered on the car. There is significant tire wear on inner shoulder of all tires. After new tires have been installed, I have been working with the local dealer to correct the problem as I do not have a $$$ Hunter alignment set up. We found that the toe was off slightly on both front (current is 0.20 frt/0.10 rear). Rear chamber is at maximum allowed on the drivers front and rear (-0.7 front / -1.2 rear) the passenger side front is okay but the passenger side rear is at maximum (-0.6 frt/-1.1 rear) After the second try on the alignment machine they let me know that there is no further positive adjustment on either front struts or rear chamber eccentrics.  Has anyone faced this issue? If so. how was it corrected.? Also, just to make sure I am working with the correct alignment specs... can anyone provide alignment specs for a 2017 Edge? I can provide before and after alignment readings if needed.  Thanks!

too much camber is not necessarily the cause of inside edge wear. the problem is actually toe out when driving which can happen when you have either a bad alignment or worn parts that allow the tires to go toe-out when driving. the natural tendency of wheels is to spread open at speed. you may have  a static -0.6 frt/-1.1 rear but when driving it will always be greater.

if this were my car, that's where i'd look.

Ben, Thanks for the reply.  I should have mentioned the toe was not out enough to cause the inner shoulder wear. The guys at the Ford shop "tweaked" it anyway while the car was on the rack.

They agree with me that the chamber is what needs to be adjusted... but since the car is already at max. positive chamber they are at a loss.  This week I will ask them to reach out to their contact at Ford for  options. 

On 3/14/2021 at 7:41 AM, Gibbs Garage said:

Ben, Thanks for the reply.  I should have mentioned the toe was not out enough to cause the inner shoulder wear. The guys at the Ford shop "tweaked" it anyway while the car was on the rack.

They agree with me that the chamber is what needs to be adjusted... but since the car is already at max. positive chamber they are at a loss.  This week I will ask them to reach out to their contact at Ford for  options. 

but don't forget that the toe opens up when the car is going forward. measuring the static value of the toe in/out won't tell you what's happening at 50 MPH. worn suspension parts could allow too much play.

David,

Appreciate the reply. The car has a single owner since new. It is completely stock... no damage or modifications. Ford dealer I am working with indicates the camber adjustment is hard up against the max. positive adjustment so adjustable eccentrics / strut camber plates will not work to take away the max. negative camber. They are currently working with the guys on the Ford hotline to figure out what to do next.  

Still wondering if anyone has run into this situation...   

Thanks

• Like 1

Appreciate the interest in this issue.  All good questions...  and, all of those items have been thoroughly "interrogated" by the Service Manager at the Ford Store. He needed all of that info prior to calling the Ford Hotline to discuss options to correct the camber issue.

I am beginning to believe this car may be a "one off" since the camber is hard up against the positive adjustment with max negative camber existing.  Just my suspicious nature...  ?