Cabin Air Filter location ?

EdgeLover

I have a 2007 EDGE FWD-SEL +. I would like to change the Cabin Air Filter myself. I know my Edge has one becasue under Key Standard Equipment section of the original window sticker includes an item "Particulate Air Filter". The owner manual says "The access door for the filter is located behind the glove box." I opened glove box, but I couldn't find the access. Can somebody here tell me how to get access of Cabin Air Filter? Thank you in advance.

I have a 2007 EDGE FWD-SEL +. I would like to change the Cabin Air Filter myself. I know my Edge has one becasue under Key Standard Equipment section of the original window sticker includes an item "Particulate Air Filter". The owner manual says "The access door for the filter is located behind the glove box." I opened glove box, but I couldn't find the access. Can somebody here tell me how to get access of Cabin Air Filter? Thank you in advance.

If that's correct you must remove the glovebox, not just open it. There is usually a release tab along the top back edge or sides after it's open.

The filter location is behind the glovebox. To remove the glovebox door, you need to squeeze the upper rear corners inward & the door will come forward & lift completely off. There is a realease tab on the right side of the filter access door. Open that up & remove the dirty filter. If it was like mine, it will be packed full of debris. Wipe out remianing dirt & reinstall everything in reverse.

I changed mine after having it at the dealer for low A/C output & dust coming out ot the vents when first turning it on. The dealer said all was fine, which of coarse was not.

how often should this item be changed? miles? time? thanks

Hi MKx Limited. :D The Ford Recommended Change Interval is every 15,000 miles with no month/year time limitation. You can find it listed in your Maintenance Schedule booklet.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Thank you for everybody responded to my question, especially big thank to MKX2007.

I followed your steps and I got access to my cabin air filter and replaced it myself.

However, I needed an extra step on my 2007 EDGE, which was to release a string hook.

So my complete procedure looks like this......

"To remove the glovebox door, open glovebox door, release a string hook on upper right corner then you need to squeeze the upper rear corners inward & the door will come forward & lift completely off. ....."

The string attached to the glovebox, so when you open the box, the box dropped with a hydraulic feels. Maybe you don't have this in your MKX.

To give people some idea, I took pictures.

The first picture is the Cabin Air Filter. I paid $11.88 on Amazon.

The 2nd picture is the area after glovebox been completely removed.

The 3rd picture is same as 2nd but with filter access door opened showing location of filter.

PICT1609.jpg

PICT1615.jpg

PICT1613.jpg

Edited by EdgeLover

just curious, how long did it actually take for yours to get this stage? I know it will vary by location and usage, but just curious how much time passed?

It was about 13 months & about 10,000 miles. I checked it at that time & is was full to the top of the ridges. I vacumed it out & put the old one back in. I tried to get a new filter through Parts America. They list it, but don't stock it. I went to my Lincoln dealer & they ordered one for me. From my experience, I would say check it about every 6 months.

I'm curious what that string is. Mine doesn't have that.

• 4 months later...

Thanks for the photos...I've released the string hook on my 08 SEL and removed the glovebox...your pics look exact but I'm having difficulty seeing how to open the filter access door. Do you squeeze a release tab or is there a pry off tab...? Just wondering as I don't want to force and crack it , etc....

Andy

Thank you for everybody responded to my question, especially big thank to MKX2007.

I followed your steps and I got access to my cabin air filter and replaced it myself.

However, I needed an extra step on my 2007 EDGE, which was to release a string hook.

So my complete procedure looks like this......

"To remove the glovebox door, open glovebox door, release a string hook on upper right corner then you need to squeeze the upper rear corners inward & the door will come forward & lift completely off. ....."

The string attached to the glovebox, so when you open the box, the box dropped with a hydraulic feels. Maybe you don't have this in your MKX.

To give people some idea, I took pictures.

The first picture is the Cabin Air Filter. I paid $11.88 on Amazon.

The 2nd picture is the area after glovebox been completely removed.

The 3rd picture is same as 2nd but with filter access door opened showing location of filter.

PICT1609.jpg

PICT1615.jpg

PICT1613.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for the photos...I've released the string hook on my 08 SEL and removed the glovebox...your pics look exact but I'm having difficulty seeing how to open the filter access door. Do you squeeze a release tab or is there a pry off tab...? Just wondering as I don't want to force and crack it , etc....

Andy

Just an FYI. My 08 had only a screen where the filter would go. Pretty lame, looks like I need to get one. As far as opening it, you squeeze the front center of the tab and that lifts the back off a hook. I had to squeeze it fairly hard to get it to release. Mike

Popped open the cabin air filter compartment on my 2008 SEL. Based on the postings it took me less than a minute. Attached are photos of the filter which I am sure is the factory original since I haven't had it serviced. Given a car almost 1.5 years old the filter isn't really that bad but I am going to go buy a new one today.

Here are a couple of shots

post-1577-1239640516_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1239640532_thumb.jpg

post-1577-1239640552_thumb.jpg

I forgot to add to the post that the local Part Source (aka Canadian Tire) does not have generic filters (yet!) so I had to go to the dealership and pay 28.00 plus tax. Came to just over 31.00 for the part, if you can call it that.

The two minute estimate is extremely accurate. I didn't even have to release the "string" noted in the other posts. This is definitely a do it yourself item for even the most mechanically challenged owner.

If it wasn't a company vehicle I would have ordered one on amazon.com like one of the other members. As it is I figure I saved the company 20 bucks by doing it myself.

I know its a "specialty item" but it seems like a rip off when you can buy a micro allergen furnace filter measuring 15x26x1" for less than half the price of the Ford cabin filter. Thank god they didn't call it a "heppa" filter or they would have tripled the price

Edited by CorporateEdge

Just an FYI. My 08 had only a screen where the filter would go. Pretty lame, looks like I need to get one. As far as opening it, you squeeze the front center of the tab and that lifts the back off a hook. I had to squeeze it fairly hard to get it to release. Mike

I just noticed that my filter area just had a screen as well. Did you ever put in a filter where the screen was? Did you leave the screen and put the filter on it, or did you just take it out and put the filter in? Curious as to why it doesn't have it. According to the dealer, the cars with "auto" AC come with a filter and the "manual" AC units do not. Surly they aren't different right? You would think you could just put one in there couldn't you? Thanks, I was just curious what you ended up doing.

hmmm... I have the "auto" AC on my 2008 so I am going to look and see what I have as I am now curious

lennysbar and bigwiege do you both have "manual" AC then to confirm what dealer told bigwiege?

Is the cabin air filter installed for recirculated air or for fresh intake air.....or maybe both? I have an 08 SEL manual AC and I'm assuming I'll find a screen instead of a filter....can't see why replacing with a filter could do any harm....any thoughts?

Thanks,

Andy

Edited by abowie