MPG Tanked!!! Any help Greatly Appreciated...

Hey all, Just joined. About 2 months ago I purchased a CPO 2018 Edge Sport. Having several problems but I'll start today with this one because they're in separate categories, and I don't want to confuse things. It has just over 30k miles on it now and I decided to change the air filter at approximately 27k. It had been averaging 18.9 MPG at that time. I installed a K & N replacement filter and my MPG went as low as 8.9 MPG!!! (I threw away the original when I installed the K & N.) So, I replaced that with a Motorcraft filter and it creeper back up to as high as 15.2 MPG, but still goes several MPG below that. Had it in the Dealership and they can't find anything wrong...of course. Everything looks fine with the Installation. Can't seem to find anyone else Having this problem. Any advice would be Greatly Appreciated. Thanks in advance if anyone has any insight on this.

may need to clean all the sensors along the intake.  oil can affect performance.  usually only a problem when the filter is recharged.  what filter model # did you install?

use MAF sensor cleaner to clean the sensors.

can try a KAM reset also if it has not been many miles since you installed the new MC filter.

• Like 1

Also, From what I'm reading online, that may open me up to voiding my warranty. Ford could try to say I put a tune on and then took it off and tried to hide it. But people say it's good to reset that, after replacing certain parts so that the vehicle can "re-learn" the new parts. And that seems to make sense. I'm confused, which is it? Don't want to jeopardize the warranty. ?

2 hours ago, Pascale007 said:

Thanks for the info. It had 28,700-ish when I changed it, so around 2k miles since. K&N part # 33-5000. Do you know how to perform a KAM reset on this vehicle? Thanks again. ?

Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and reconnect

• Like 2

Thank you, I replaced the air charge temperature sensor, rather than cleaning it. Followed the rest processes listed above. No change. Then removed and cleaned. The MAP sensor and reset again...still no change. Actually seems worse, it had been climbing to about 14+, now it's below 10. This has me extremely stressed. I have other issues with this vehicle unrelated to this (3-4 issues!!!) That have all cropped up since I got it not even 2 months ago. I really like the vehicle, had a 2011 Edge Sport before this 2018. Have wanted this for quite a while, and it's been giving me nothing but grief unfortunately.  ?

• 5 months later...

So I haven't been on here in awhile, and I'm not sure if this is how I post a question. Hopefully so. Still the same

Main complaint that I had before, got my MPG up to 17.4 just recently,  back to 17.1 now. But I drive somewhat "spirited" as they say. I'm 43, I don't drive crazy anymore, but I don't drive slowly either. What my question is...should I be averaging more than 17 MPG? I drive about 50/50 city/ highway miles. I feel like I should be getting way better gas mileage. Tried all the stuff mentioned in this post. 

On 6/8/2021 at 3:39 AM, Pascale007 said:

Also, From what I'm reading online, that may open me up to voiding my warranty. Ford could try to say I put a tune on and then took it off and tried to hide it. But people say it's good to reset that, after replacing certain parts so that the vehicle can "re-learn" the new parts. And that seems to make sense. I'm confused, which is it? Don't want to jeopardize the warranty. ?

I would not worry too much about that . The law is clear, if you do mod a car from OEM and something happens to it. The mod has to be the reason of the problem for them to deny service. For example you put a K&N filter in the car and the seat warmer stops working. The two are unrelated and the seats would still be under warranty. Though the dealer may say different ( I doubt it  ) in a attempt to side step their responsibility. It is always best to remove any tune before taking the car to the dealership,. the more miles you put on after you remove the tune the better, and the harder for the dealer to find. I have heard that 100 miles buries the tune deep enough that it is not easily directed. 

Edited by Xtra
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Xtra said:

I would not worry too much about that . The law is clear, if you do mod a car from OEM and something happens to it. The mod has to be the reason of the problem for them to deny service. For example you put a K&N filter in the car and the seat warmer stops working. The two are unrelated and the seats would still be under warranty. Though the dealer may say different ( I doubt it  ) in a attempt to side step their responsibility. It is always best to remove any tune before taking the car to the dealership,. the more miles you put on after you remove the tune the better, and the harder for the dealer to find. I have heard that 100 miles buries the tune deep enough that it is not easily directed. 

I posted a Ford GSB here. It had stated to check for number of key cycles (in mode9) and compare to vehicle service history if counter is abnormally low and thus investigate for unauthorized reflash and signs of aftermarket tuner connections. I know with LMS the counter is not affected when flashing a tune or reflashing the stock tune.

• Like 2