I've started to hate my ST

Vanquished

5 hours ago, circatee said:

Hmm, interesting. I was under the impression that the ST was merely the same SUV, but with an ST badge on it. 

Curious, is the HP on the Sport and ST, not identical? 

Sport and ST have the 2.7L ecoboost.

ST-Line is an appearance package with 2.0Leb.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/6/2021 at 3:38 PM, 2FAST4U said:

When you say "in the up position", do you mean with the wipers lifted off the glass  (like for cleaning under the wipers) or if you mean parked vertically but still laying on the windshield?

I don't know about vertical on the glass but I'd assume yes. If you put the wipers back down in the wrong position the car will move them to the right position. In the case of the chip. The windshields were up off the class for cleaning. Safelite probably hit the ignition for some reason and it chipped the hood then I did it because it started raining and I had the audacity to back the car into my garage with the wipers up. I've never had a car damage itself as such... thus again the less is more. 

It's real poor form of a forum (not saying you but others here) to attack a poster making legitimate complaints. Idk people are so defensive. 

I will voice my complaints about design flaws and faults with everything I spend my hard earned money on. I had plenty of problems with Dodge and I complained about them. I came to a Ford after having my custom ordered Challenger for 9 months because my steering wheel made an annoying noise and Dodge tried to tell me it was normal.

Another thing that might be my biggest annoyance with the ST btw is that the rear light(?) squeaks constantly at highway speeds, even on a smooth road. 

Edited by Vanquished

On 7/4/2021 at 5:08 PM, Vanquished said:

I have considered disabling all the functions you mentioned but I'm not sure it's worth any money since I probably won't have the car too much longer 

Have you decided to live with it, or still planning on getting rid of it? - used car prices are really good now, so you might want to consider your move now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Have you decided to live with it, or still planning on getting rid of it? - used car prices are really good now, so you might want to consider your move now.

New car prices are evern worse than used right now so I'm living with it. Just had safelite replace the windshield and they dented my hood so I have to deal with that now too. They'd better pay for it is all I can say. 

Seriously tho. I can't find any cars I want for even the slightest deal. So even tho I could get what I paid for the edge, I'd have to spend 10k more to get even a Charger RT scat pack like I had before this. I like the way the edge st looks and I like the interior. It's not a bad car, just not living up to my expectations 

On 9/7/2021 at 8:28 PM, handfiler said:

No car is fool proof.

You're right. But where the Dodges I have had fail in quality, the edge fails in design. The current gen edge is an old enough design that Ford should have fixed most of my complaints. Really what shocks me is the crude nature of the auto start stop. This is my first car (thank god) with this technology but I really can't imagine it's as bad as it is in the edge in all the other cars. 

On 9/9/2021 at 12:00 AM, Vanquished said:

You're right. But where the Dodges I have had fail in quality, the edge fails in design. The current gen edge is an old enough design that Ford should have fixed most of my complaints. Really what shocks me is the crude nature of the auto start stop. This is my first car (thank god) with this technology but I really can't imagine it's as bad as it is in the edge in all the other cars. 

I find the auto start/stop to be very tolerable in my edge. Rented a HRV and the "idle stop" was awful. The car shook and hesitated badly on restart and it lacked so much power already that it made just staying with traffic impossible. My edge its fairly unnoticed when it shuts off and restarts are quick and cause very minimal acceleration delay. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2021 at 8:13 AM, Fingernip said:

I find the auto start/stop to be very tolerable in my edge. Rented a HRV and the "idle stop" was awful. The car shook and hesitated badly on restart and it lacked so much power already that it made just staying with traffic impossible. My edge its fairly unnoticed when it shuts off and restarts are quick and cause very minimal acceleration delay. 

Guess I got a lemon (I didn't, it sucks on a of them) because from day 1 it has been awful. I use only 93 fuel and live in Florida so cold weather isn't even an issue. Not saying there aren't worse auto stop starts but the one on our Edges is terrible. At least on the STs

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 12:28 AM, Vanquished said:

Guess I got a lemon (I didn't, it sucks on a of them) because from day 1 it has been awful. I use only 93 fuel and live in Florida so cold weather isn't even an issue. Not saying there aren't worse auto stop starts but the one on our Edges is terrible. At least on the STs

Simple. Turn it off if you hate it.

We own a 19 Titanium and a 20 ST.  The Auto S/S is barely noticeable on both, better than in many other cars we've owned/driven.  We don't have any squeaks/rattles/vibrations/noises on either.  They are two of the better cars we have owned.

There's whiners on every make/model forum.  There's legitimate problems and there's the can't please anyone non-problems.  This is a case of the later.  The only solution is IGNORE.

Gave up on a 2015 Edge Titanium due to a lemon of an engine/tranny. Other than that loved the car. After 2 years came back and got the ST for the engine. My 2021 has been awesome in all categories. Better or equal to  most of the $70k SUVs I test drove . Quiet, powerful, roomy, Sync 4a works fantastic, no shake on auto start stop, though I did get the bypass system. B and  O  radio much better than Sony, even remembers the last position of heated seats after turn off, rain sending wipers, AWD, LEDs, no fake engine noise, and the noise control system works.   you can get great deals from some dealers if you hate yours, which is totally understandable no car pleases everyone.  I got $2,500 more ( usually $7k less) than I paid 2 years ago for a Sonata and the Ford dealer sold me the new 2021 ST well below MSRP with no mandatory add ons, to run  up the price.  No, i don't have the sunroof but it makes it quieter and more head room, but the MSRP was only $44k which is a fantastic price for this car category. The KIA Telluride  was going for over $55k with a waiting list, and the Lexus 350rx was over $70k. With the crazy used car prices it should cover the old low haggle prices if you just find a reputable dealer. In Alaska one Ford Dealer was selling in stock Broncos at MSRP.

I'd say get rid of it, move on. Not worth owning it since you hate it that much.

• 4 months later...
On 1/30/2022 at 12:40 PM, handfiler said:

First he was vanquished, then he simply vanished.

I'm still here. 

I've grown to appreciate the edge more. I'd even consider getting a new one. Coming from the rocket ships I was driving before this it was a bit of a shock. I still have several dislikes. I hate the dash cluster, I hate sync, and I hate that the car has zero audible exhaust note. But I love the interior, and now that my Scat Packs that I paid 41k for (46-48k sticker) are laughably being sold for 65k. I appreciate the edge st more. I would NEVER pay 65k for a dodge charger or challenger with the garbage interior quality that mine had. 

I love the sound system on the edge, best I've ever heard in a car, I love the headlights, I love the sunroof, I love the handling, I love the versatility, I love the looks, I love the self driving features, I love the front camera, I love the color... there are a lot of things I love. Once I realized that this was an suv and that 5.7s 0-60 is pretty respectable my attitude changed. Also owning the car for a year (still only has 5k miles on it) and having no issues other than a chipped windshield that nobody knows how to properly replace (had it done twice, and neither time they got the seal right. Second time they dented the hood (but PDR folks are thankfully magicians). 

I got the Motorola ma1 for wireless Android auto and thay helped a lot with mitigating the buggy nature of sync not picking up on my USB stored music. 

My neighbor has a Durango RT and it's way slower than the edge but it sounds so much better. I just don't understand why Ford gave such a quiet exhaust on an ST. 

Oh I'm also still not a huge fan of the transmission, it has some rough shifts here and there. 

I don't regret my purchase though. Idk how I got a brand new fully loaded edge ST for just about 41k. All of the 2022s are 55k+ now. My car was built in late December 2020 is a 2020 model year. I have a feeling it was supposed to be a 2021 but they didn't have the screen to make it a 2021 so they just made it a 2020 with the old screen. 

I don't think I'd spend 55k on the edge st honestly, since you can get other slightly slower but equally equipped cars for much much cheaper but for what I paid there is absolutely nothing comparable on the road. 

I often defend the Edge ST against people who say "it's not an ST" idk what world those people are living in but the ST Focus and Fiesta were never fast cars. I think the ST focus did 0-60 in 6.5 seconds, which the edge beats. After doing the ST SUV Experience I'm well aware of the handling abilities of this car, it's amazing. 

Oh one more thing that bugs me but is not uncommon for performance cars, I wish this had adjustable steering. The wheel is very heavy which is good for around town precision driving but very tiring on long road trips. Not too bothersome for me since I rent a car anytime I go more than 250 miles round trip but...