"Soccer Mum SUV"

circatee

Who cares what people think. 

People think my eclipse is just a chick car even though it walks Tesla’s on ludicrous mode with a full charge, from a dig. 

Not to mention the v8 guys and their “ricer” talk. 

You do you. Let others hate. 

Although the ST is kinda a soccer mom SUV. The sports however….

? 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, CrackedDSM said:

Who cares what people think. 

People think my eclipse is just a chick car even though it walks Tesla’s on ludicrous mode with a full charge, from a dig. 

Not to mention the v8 guys and their “ricer” talk. 

You do you. Let others hate. 

Although the ST is kinda a soccer mom SUV. The sports however….

? 

You think the sport is less soccer mom-ish than the ST? I couldn't disagree more. Any CUV/SUV will have some of that stigma but the ST for me looks and rides how the sport should have. Just need to remove the torque limits so we can really play with it. 

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

FTFY ?

We don't know that yet. Besides, we can use something to help drive the aftermarket for transmission upgrades. So far the Case and torque converter have been the weakest links. Case might just be casting faults and torque converter just bad batches. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

My point was just that there is a good reason they’re limiting torque in lower gears.  You’d likely need to beef up the tranny, ptu, driveshaft and diff to handle a lot more power.

Absolutely. But many are willing to void their warranties anyway... Ford should let them. You cant expect the same durability with a 100hp+ tune. Ford seemingly doesn't even want it launched hard on the stock tune for some reason. At this point we really don't know what point is the weakest link. 

On 7/6/2021 at 2:29 PM, circatee said:

Honestly, I have a few people that constantly mention my ST, as a "Soccer Mum SUV". 

Talk about annoying. I had to tell one individual to basically be quiet. Also had to remind them that my ST pushes 335HP, versus their car.

Anyway, just venting... 

As a Brit surely you mean "football mum"?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fingernip said:

Absolutely. But many are willing to void their warranties anyway... Ford should let them. You cant expect the same durability with a 100hp+ tune. Ford seemingly doesn't even want it launched hard on the stock tune for some reason. At this point we really don't know what point is the weakest link. 

Doesnt it seem silly to go to all that trouble and expense and risk blowing up expensive parts just to get a little more power on a vehicle that’s driven on the street?

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Doesnt it seem silly to go to all that trouble and expense and risk blowing up expensive parts just to get a little more power on a vehicle that’s driven on the street?

Isn't that what we do? We make things go fast that aren't supposed to go fast and we make things that are fast go even faster. Ford felt the market existed for a cheaper hot CUV than was was available from the Germans. You will have trouble finding a non tuned/tweaked or modded X5 NON 40i/Base older than 4 years. Subaru WRX break half-shafts if you look at them and it doesn't stop anyone. Focus ST motor swaps are becoming commonplace.  Aftermarket analyzes the failure and develop stronger parts to prevent it. That $2000 (after core) transmission cost is a drop in the bucket. A tuner would have it built if it blows. 

1 hour ago, akirby said:

Maybe, but considering most people spend a large part of our lives in a vehicle why not make it a more fun thing to be in. This argument also argues against buying a higher horse power anything, we should all be driving edge SE's or better yet ecosports, because what's the point it's only being driven on the street. Ford should also just scrap the turbo on the 2.0l I guess and just sell it NA because what's the point it's only driven on the street and drastically increasing price of the Edge se. Yet a lot of us are willing to spend 7 grand US or more for an extra 85 hp and 100 torque over the current configured SE. I haven't spent near that and have likely gained that again, if something blows I probably will still be under that, granted I do all the work myself. You pay a pretty penny extra for that power no matter what whether it's from factory or from modding. Modding is just more fun because you get to feel and hear the results as you go.

1 hour ago, Perblue said:

Maybe, but considering most people spend a large part of our lives in a vehicle why not make it a more fun thing to be in. This argument also argues against buying a higher horse power anything, we should all be driving edge SE's or better yet ecosports, because what's the point it's only being driven on the street. Ford should also just scrap the turbo on the 2.0l I guess and just sell it NA because what's the point it's only driven on the street and drastically increasing price of the Edge se. Yet a lot of us are willing to spend 7 grand US or more for an extra 85 hp and 100 torque over the current configured SE. I haven't spent near that and have likely gained that again, if something blows I probably will still be under that, granted I do all the work myself. You pay a pretty penny extra for that power no matter what whether it's from factory or from modding. Modding is just more fun because you get to feel and hear the results as you go.

Im not talking about modding.  I’m talking about taking it to the extreme where you risk real damage.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

Im not talking about modding.  I’m talking about taking it to the extreme where you risk real damage.

Ah ok, although extremes can be hit with modding.

I do wonder what these transmissions can handle since they are claimed to be just a modified sport transmission. What could they have done to make them weaker yet be rated still for 570 torque. Way off topic though.

53 minutes ago, Perblue said:

I do wonder what these transmissions can handle since they are claimed to be just a modified sport transmission. What could they have done to make them weaker yet be rated still for 570 torque. Way off topic though.

Disconnecting the governor on my Tecumseh powered minibike which led to a windowed crankcase was my introduction to extreme modding. I'm still doing it.

Edited by handfiler
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Perblue said:

It’s rated at 570 newton-meters which is at the input shaft after the torque converter multiplication.  That’s only 420 lb/ft.

1 hour ago, akirby said:

It’s rated at 570 newton-meters which is at the input shaft after the torque converter multiplication.  That’s only 420 lb/ft.

So engine output is just under 10% of transmission rating; a little close for comfort. There are unknown factors at play however such as the GVW rating of the transmission and the safety factor that was engineered into the design.

47 minutes ago, handfiler said:

So engine output is just under 10% of transmission rating; a little close for comfort. There are unknown factors at play however such as the GVW rating of the transmission and the safety factor that was engineered into the design.

Well we know the 6F55 was used with the 3.0Leb and with the 3.5leb in the Explorer/Taurus/MKS and some of those have been tuned so I think there is a some headroom there.   But I would be wary of removing all the factory torque limitations.

Previous car was a 2012 flex with 3.5 EB.  Spent a lot of time reading Flex forum and there was not a lot of discussion on transmission problems.  The flex felt like it pulled much harder from a stop and it was not tuned. Both the Flex and  ST have good passing power but the ST lacks from dead stop. 

• 3 weeks later...

You might calmly state that Car and Driver does NOT list the Ford Edge as a "soccer mom" car, but as one of the best of the 2-row SUV.

Calmly ask if the really think it looks anything like a minivan? No?

Station wagon? No?

Ask if you look like a soccer mom? No?

Then calmy ask what kind of pile of junk are they driving. When they tell you, look unimpressed and say ....... "oh". Then smile. Kindly like. 

https://www.caranddriver.com/research/a31609316/mom-car/

Car and Driver Magazine lists the Chevrolet Traverse, Chrysler Pacifica, Dodge Durango, FIAT 500L, Subaru Outback & Volvo V90 as "️  soccer mom" cars. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2021 at 12:37 PM, ben senise said:

let them take it for a drive. and personally, i couldn't give a fork what people think about my car. i bought it for me. they're probably just jealous.

That's a bad idea. They'll be underwhelmed lol.

I've come to realize after doing the ST SUV Experience that our cars are not meant to be fast, they're meant to handle and boy do they handle (if you have the 21 inch 265 tires like I do)

I'm not sure how many soccer mom SUVs you can find that could take an on ramp at 90mph with no body roll. 

On 9/7/2021 at 4:25 PM, Vanquished said:

Did you know that soccer is actually a British term? It comes from "Association Football" and it has been in use as long as the term football to refer to soccer. 

Yes indeed,. It was coined in the elite fee-paying "public schools" of England to distinguish it from the other football played - "rugger". But as a Brit Circatee would never refer to the game as "soccer", just "football".

Edited by niceonept