Dorman Engine Oil Drain Plug

omar302

Was browsing the F-150 Forums and found a thread about a Dorman Engine Oil Plug (link) that also fits the 2015+ Edge 2.7 & 2016+ MKX. The Plug is designed to allow controlled flow of the oil while draining. I haven't tried it, but thought maybe it would be of interest to others. Advanced Auto Parts has it listed for $ 16.99 (link).

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Haz said:

For those who prefer a metal component with comparable functionality -- though at a higher price -- Fumoto valves are discounted by some online retailers.

Good luck!

Fumoto currently does not make one for any ford with a plastic oil pan. They completed the R&D and have sent a few valves out for public beta testing. If it makes it to production is anyone's guess at this point.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Haz said:

For those who prefer a metal component with comparable functionality -- though at a higher price -- Fumoto valves are discounted by some online retailers.

Good luck!

for whatever reason, when i checked their site for my application, they showed it being a metric 12mm x1.75 thread unit..

to the subject in general, i bought a few of the plastic 1/4 turn (aprx) drain plugs off Amazon so i always have a new one to install

I'm not a fan of any of the after market plugs which are designed to stay in place and simply open or close a valve in it, because of the fact that all of them leave more oil in the pan than the OEM style.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cerberus said:

for whatever reason, when i checked their site for my application, they showed it being a metric 12mm x1.75 thread unit..

to the subject in general, i bought a few of the plastic 1/4 turn (aprx) drain plugs off Amazon so i always have a new one to install

I'm not a fan of any of the after market plugs which are designed to stay in place and simply open or close a valve in it, because of the fact that all of them leave more oil in the pan than the OEM style.

I have a paid service package on my Edge, so the dealer does my oil changes. Though in my opinion, I would definitely avoid any metal plug for the fear of damaging the plastic oil pan. But the Dorman plug seems reasonable, you can start draining with the valve, then remove the complete plug for the remaining oil to drain fully. 

Edited by omar302
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, omar302 said:

I have a paid service package on my Edge, so the dealer does my oil changes, but in my opinion, I would definitely avoid any metal plug for the fear of damaging the plastic oil pan. But the Dormant plug seems reasonable, you can start draining with the valve, then remove the complete plug for the remaining oil to drain fully. 

fair point

1 hour ago, Perblue said:

The ultimate drain plug, expensive yes but works amazing.

FORD EASY OIL DRAIN (roninfactory.com)

Should take care of what @Cerberus stated in his post above. Since the valve stays in place and has a smaller diameter, the minimum point is raised slightly and would mean that more oil might be left in the pan compared to removing the complete plug. They also state that in their websit:

OIL DRAINING 

When draining the oil, we recommend raising the front end of the truck about 9". (Either on ramps, jack stands or a sloped driveway). This will allow the oil in the pan to slope about 5 degrees, which is all that is needed. Anymore than that will not get more oil out. Using this method, about 1/2 cup of oil will remain which is only slightly more than completely removing the plug, which will yield only about 1/4 cup more of oil to come out. For this reason we do not believe it is necessary to remove the Easy Oil Drain Plug completely during oil changes. 

• Like 3

I have Fumoto drains (chrome or course) on my garden tractor & backup  generator. Use a short length of clear plastic tubing which inserts into an empty plastic, oil container. No drips. Metal to metal, so makes sense.

But plastic oil pan would call for a plastic drain (plastic-plastic expansion). And for $16 not a big investment. Would make oil changes much easier as no tools needed (or only a screwdrive in the Dorman case). Wouldn't worry about what little oil left in pan; insignificant.

Doesn't make sense if you have oil changes done by mechanic.

As for the $80 listed in post is ridiculous price. Don't trust company as there's only $3 worth of plastic involved. (They are selling their own protection when they fail and get sued).

• Like 2

23 hours ago, omar302 said:

Should take care of what @Cerberus stated in his post above. Since the valve stays in place and has a smaller diameter, the minimum point is raised slightly and would mean that more oil might be left in the pan compared to removing the complete plug. They also state that in their websit:

I have the Ronin drain valve and in it works very well. The amount of oil that is left in the sump is insignificant. I add the same amount of oil as I did before I installed the Ronin Drain Valve and the level on the dipstick is the same. I do use ramps for doing oil changes so not too concerned about the 1/4 cup of oil left in the sump.

On 9/12/2021 at 10:44 AM, omar302 said:

I have a paid service package on my Edge, so the dealer does my oil changes. Though in my opinion, I would definitely avoid any metal plug for the fear of damaging the plastic oil pan. But the Dorman plug seems reasonable, you can start draining with the valve, then remove the complete plug for the remaining oil to drain fully. 

The thread profile on this drain valve is the same as the plastic drain plug. In theory the fact that you don't remove it for oil changes should make the plastic oil pan last even longer.

FWIW I'd put more faith in the Ronin valve not failing than I would in the Dorman device. It looks rather flimsy to me and doesn't have a protective cap to protect the inner mechanism. If that thing fails it will do so in spectacular fashion.

Edited by handfiler
grammar
  • Like 2

just for the sake of clarity, I understand the argument that a 1/4 cup of extra oil left in the pan may SEEM insignificant, but to me, any metal particles are going to be settled in that last little bit of oil

And yes, you can remove the adapter plug (dorman, Ronin, w/e) after the majority of the oil has drained but then you don't have the high velocity of flow at the initial stage of draining to sweep out particles.

Not looking for an argument, just saying, to each their own.

Do whatever makes you happy.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

I don't see the need to change to oil pan drain plug unless it's been over-tightened or old. (Threads do get stretched each time its retightened.)

I get "the works" oil change at the local Ford garage & usually tell them to replace it, if it needs it. They've only replaced it once that i know of.

However a copper crush washer is designed to be changed after being removed (one time use). Some people reuse these washers and tend to over tighten the plug to get the same seal.

1 hour ago, enigma-2 said:

I don't see the need to change to oil pan drain plug unless it's been over-tightened or old. (Threads do get stretched each time its retightened.)

I get "the works" oil change at the local Ford garage & usually tell them to replace it, if it needs it. They've only replaced it once that i know of.

However a copper crush washer is designed to be changed after being removed (one time use). Some people reuse these washers and tend to over tighten the plug to get the same seal.

What engine do you have? Is your oil drain plug steel or the composite for the 2.7? During the conversation with the Ford Dealer it was in relation to the composite drain plug 

16 hours ago, SC_ST said:

Spoke with the local dealer and they mentioned they tend to reuse the oil drain plug, but also wished people would change them out each time.

I am still on the fence on getting an aftermarket one 

Have you read the many reports from those that are still using the original drain plug without an issue after many miles and oil changes ?

5 hours ago, 1004ron said:

Have you read the many reports from those that are still using the original drain plug without an issue after many miles and oil changes ?

Really haven’t read much other way, hence why I am still on the fence about an aftermarket. Is there really that much of a benefit besides a magnetic tip?

13 minutes ago, SC_ST said:

Really haven’t read much other way, hence why I am still on the fence about an aftermarket. Is there really that much of a benefit besides a magnetic tip?

When you do get a chance to read the multitude of reports here you'll note that most folks don't have an issue with the original plug and continue re-using them.

I don't see any benefit of a third party plug when my original plug is still working as good as new after 5 years and 73K miles with oil changes every 5K miles.

On 9/14/2021 at 4:12 AM, Cerberus said:

just for the sake of clarity, I understand the argument that a 1/4 cup of extra oil left in the pan may SEEM insignificant, but to me, any metal particles are going to be settled in that last little bit of oil

And yes, you can remove the adapter plug (dorman, Ronin, w/e) after the majority of the oil has drained but then you don't have the high velocity of flow at the initial stage of draining to sweep out particles.

Not looking for an argument, just saying, to each their own.

Do whatever makes you happy.

This could be an argument for an after market one, like the ronin, since it actually has a magnet on the back of it that you can clean off occasionally and help prevent the metallic sludge from collecting on an oil pan like I've seen most of the time when dropping one.

8 hours ago, Perblue said:

This could be an argument for an after market one, like the ronin, since it actually has a magnet on the back of it that you can clean off occasionally and help prevent the metallic sludge from collecting on an oil pan like I've seen most of the time when dropping one.

that assumes that the magnet will catch the metal particles while they are in suspension instead of them settling to the pan, which will happen every time you shut off the engine.

The only way the magnet would be highly effective is if it was stuck to, or very near, the oil pump pick up screen.

and the drain plug adapter still leaves residual oil in the pan, a good bit more than staying with the original style plug. 

again, was not looing for a debate on it, just offering a thought