TSB 22-2229 - 2015-2018 Edge + Other Models, 2.0L EcoBoost - Coolant In Cylinders, White Exhaust Smoke And/Or Illuminated MIL

Haz

Models:

Ford
2015-2018 Edge
2017-2019 Escape
Built on or before 16-May-2019
2017-2019 Fusion
Built on or before 8-Apr-2019
Lincoln
2017-2019 MKC
Built on or before 18-Apr-2019
2017-2019 MKZ
Built on or before 8-Apr-2019

Summary

This article supersedes TSB 22-2133 to update the Parts List.

Issue: Some 2015-2018 Edge and 2017-2019 Fusion/MKZ/Escape/MKC vehicles equipped with a 2.0L EcoBoost engine may exhibit a low coolant level, white exhaust smoke and/or a runs rough condition with or without an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL). Diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) may include P0300, P0301-P0304, P0316, P0217, P1285 and/or P1299 stored in powertrain control module (PCM). This may be due to coolant intrusion into the cylinder. To correct the condition, follow the Service Procedure to replace the long block engine assembly.

Action: Follow the Service Procedure to correct the condition on vehicles that meet all of the following criteria:

• One of the following vehicles:

- 2015-2018 Edge
- 2017-2019 Fusion/MKZ built on or before 8-Apr-2019
- 2017-2019 Escape built on or before 16-May-2019
- 2017-2019 MKC built on or before 18-Apr-2019

• 2.0L EcoBoost engine

• Presence of coolant in the engine cylinders, white exhaust smoke and/or a runs rough condition (with or without an illuminated MIL)

Below is PDF dowload link for full TSB 22-2229 document, which provides Service Action parts lists for all included models...

TSB 22-2229 - 2015-2018 Edge + Other Models, 2.0L EcoBoost - Coolant In Cylinders, White Exhaust Smoke And_Or Illuminated MIL.pdf

1 hour ago, todd92 said:

TSB means Ford is paying for it.  No need for an extended warranty.

That isn't what TSB means.  TSB's are only covered under warranty if the vehicle is under some sort of manufacturer warranty whether it be bumper to bumper or extended.  If the vehicle isn't under warranty, a TSB is paid for by the consumer.  A TSB is not a recall or customer service satisfaction bulletin.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, todd92 said:

TSB means Ford is paying for it.  No need for an extended warranty.

Nope. 

Ford pays for a job under a TSB only if the vehicle is within the warranty period. The TSB generally indicates a solution to some issues outside the normal diagnosis procedures, mostly something more common than normal and a fix outside the usual methods. 

• Like 2

Paragraph reformatted for clarity...

Warranty Status: Eligible under provisions of...

• New Vehicle Limited Warranty (NVLW)/
  • Emissions Warranty/
  • Service Part Warranty(SPW)/
  • Special Service Part (SSP)/
  • Extended Service Plan (ESP)

...coverage.

Good luck!

Ford did recently come out with a customer satisfaction program for the 1.5L in some vehicles (not the edge) for the same type of problem.  Eventually if a CSP would come out for the 2.0 in the Edge owner's would be eligible for reimbursement.  There is some hope based on the CSP for the 1.5L.  Cross your fingers, keep poking the bear perhaps, etc and maybe wishes will come true.

• Like 2

As you mention, Ford just extended to November 30, 2022 the Customer Satisfaction Program (19B37, 21N12) for coolant intrusion on the 1.5L Ecoboost in certain 2017-2019 Escape & Fusion models with no mileage limit.

That Program's refund policy for affected Escape & Fusion owners, per the Owner Extension Letter, is...

"If you paid to have this service done before the date of this letter, you may be eligible for a refund. Refunds will only be provided for service related to an engine short block or head gasket replacement due to coolant intrusion into the engine cylinder bores. To verify eligibility and expedite reimbursement, give your paid original receipt to your dealer before November 30, 2022. To avoid delays, do not send receipts to Ford Motor Company."

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 6/11/2022 at 3:20 PM, jmr061 said:

Ford did recently come out with a customer satisfaction program for the 1.5L in some vehicles (not the edge) for the same type of problem.  Eventually if a CSP would come out for the 2.0 in the Edge owner's would be eligible for reimbursement.  There is some hope based on the CSP for the 1.5L.  Cross your fingers, keep poking the bear perhaps, etc and maybe wishes will come true.

I sure hope it does get extended. My '18 Edge just rolled over 33,000 miles and I am experiencing coolant drop, CEL for misfire in cylinder 1 and rough idle and white smoke at start up. My wife and I love the Edge and if I have to cough up the money for a new engine, then so be it. I can only pray for reimbursement.

Does anyone know if there is a waiting period for a replacement motor? I hate being a pessimist, but I have a feeling a motor replacement is inevitable at this time.

• 2 months later...