Why did you get your Edge?

Filtercharged07

Almost got a Taurus SHO but there was less head and legroom in the backseat. The Edge seems more versitile for my family's needs. Secondly, I like to support N. American made products, especially big ticket items. It drives great, but it's not without hiccups over the touchscreen, Navi and other minor glitches.

We traded our 03 Xterra for an Edge this weekend and I am loving it. The ride is much smoother, I still have plenty of space to lug the basset hound around and the kids have lots of room. The salesperson at the Ford dealership told me that the Edge was voted the #1 vehicle for pets in 2010. Not the sole reason that I bought it, but I am sure Baxter appreciates it. We wanted one with a DVD player for the children but could not find one anywhere close with the other features I wanted. So I ordered a mounted DVD player from Best Buy and they are going to install it this weekend. While looking, we considered a Murano, our Xterra was a tank and very reliable, and we are from Tennessee so we like to support the Nissan plants. But my husband is an aerospace engineer and was very impressed by Ford's CEO (who used to work for Boeing) and how they did not take any bailout money. Plus, it is just a well made car.

Here is my question for you guys- I have never owned a vehicle with a tan interior before. The floor is in good shape, but there are a few dingy places. What is the best way to clean it and get the high traffic spots out? Also, the leather interior. Do I need to scotchguard the seats?

Loving my Edge so far and enjoying reading through this forum!

Having light beige interior in my wife's MKS, I use Lexol products -one being a leather cleaner, and the other is a leather conditioner. I've used them for years, and have been very satisfied. As far as your carpets, I use Reslove carpet cleaner, and a bristle brush, to scub out the dirt. My advise is to get a good set of rubber floor mats, Weathertech has some nice products, and Ford also carries them. Carpeted mats are nicer looking, but a real pain to keep clean. What I do for our messy winter months here is Jersey, is to get a cheaper brand of carpeted mats from the auto store, and put them on top of the regular mats. Don't be afraid to go with a deeper shade than the tan, helps hide the dirt.

:happy feet: Hurray to your husband on his thinking, I always try and buy AMERICAN products - support the good old USA. True, Nissan is made in Tennessee, but who gets the profits ???? They guys who hit Pearl Harbor !

Edited by JOEHIO

:happy feet: Hurray to your husband on his thinking, I always try and buy AMERICAN products - support the good old USA. True, Nissan is made in Tennessee, but who gets the profits ???? They guys who hit Pearl Harbor !

Really? I agree - buy american - I do, but the last part could have been left off.

NOOO! Do NOT scotchguard leather seats! That's only for carpet and fabric. And that's the best protection for the floors and mats. Just use regular carpet cleaner if it gets dirty.

Yes, my detail guy gave me a look of horror yesterday when I asked him the same question. I had it professionally cleaned this morning and they got some of the high-traffic dinginess out. But it seems when they cleaned it, two spots came the surface, and one of them is the dreaded red. Both the dealership and the detail guy said whatever you do, don't spill a red drink in the car because it is impossible to get out. Apparently, the previous owner was not informed of this. And the two stains are on parts of the floorboard that are not covered by floor mats. Sigh. If anyone has any suggestions, I am all ears.

Also, the seatbelts are stained and the detail place could not get them clean. How difficult would it be to replace them? I don't think that I would like to DIY because seatbelts are a very essential and important part of a vehicle, I would rather leave that to a professional. Would I need to take it to the Ford dealership? I know it sounds like this car is a huge dirtball and it is really not, the outside is sparkling. The inside is too, it is just the passenger floorboard and the seatbelts that are problems. And I know that is the risk you take when you buy a used car, but it only had 32,000 miles and we got a fantastic deal.

• 2 weeks later...

We get A/Z Plan pricing through my Grandfather/Grandmother so its a no brainer when you don't need to haggle. Wife needed a new lease in 2007 so thats why we got an Edge AWD SEL+ (went from a Grand Prix GTP that was loaded with the headsup display and all the goodies....oh we also get the GM plan hence the Pontiac). With moving to Colorado from Michigan we also wanted something we could take up to the mountains 2-3 times a week and hold 4 adults and ski gear. Plus it was the wifes daily driver so she did not want something too big that would make parking a nightmare.

So jump to 2010, lease is coming due, we decided we liked the Edge enough we bought one. Again used A/Z Plan and got something like $3,500 rebate and 0% for 60 months it just made sense...plus with owning we plan to own it 10+ years, and its OURS vs THEIRS. Idea is to even after it is paid off, is to put that same amount into a savings account monthly that we then go pay cash fro the next vehicle...never taking a loan again in our lives. Again this vehicle is the wifes, I drive a paid for Ford Focus ST and love not having a payment.

I never intended on getting an Edge.

My 1998 Windstar was involved in the axle recall and was thinking of trading it in along with my 2001 Corvette.

The Corvette had 24,000 miles but went through 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles, GM wouldnt fix it but offered to pay for half and my half was $1700. It was a well known issue with certain 2001 350's that has this problem and GM even had a TSB about it but wouldnt pay to fix their mistake.

Anyway I was looking at a used extended 4 door cab F150 and saw a Used Lincoln version of the Edge and asked about it. The salesman said he could put me in a new Edge for the same price of the used Lincoln.

I traded in the 2001 Corvette and kept the Windstar cause they did not want to give me what it was worth so I kept it.

I really didn't like the Edge when it first came out - looked like another shoe box styled car, but my wife was interested in it after we got one in for repairs at our body shop (She runs that, I run the mechanical shop). It was a 2010 Blue limited AWD and after the suspension work was completed, I took it for a test drive. I was impressed with the ride for what I considered a small vehicle - very smooth. The tech was neat & maybe, just maybe, it wasn't as ugly as I first thought

I was afraid to use the voice recognition stuff - I figured I would end up calling someone by mistake.

That was last spring. I spent the next couple of months trying to rent an Edge so I could drive it for the weekend without having to deal with sales people but did not have much luck - only was able to drive a Flex, which reallly does look like a shoe box.

Put the whole idea on hold until October. I finally broke down & went to the dealer & test drove a 2010 Sport & liked it but could not justify the money they wanted for a demo with 5000 miles on it (2000 less than a 2011 Sport).

So I researched the 2011 Sport & I have to say really liked what they did with the face lift, the engine & all the stuff that came standard on the package. I ordered a Sport FWD in red at the end of October & received it in the middle of December. Other than the usual Ford MyTouch issues we all seem to be having, it has been one sweet ride & gets looks were ever it goes.

• 1 month later...

Being from England I've only been able to get close to Edge's while over here on vacation or business as they are not available in the UK, we have a thing called a Ford Kuga instead (which looks awful, believe me). So when I got posted here for work for a few year in February I immediately got my order in for a blue SEL AWD with a whole bunch of options; 750 miles done and loving it so far. :shift:

Edited by hainser

I Leased an Edge Limited in April after dealing with my wife's complaints of my previous car. My old 1994 Volvo 850 was too loud (Magnaflow), too stiff (Bilsteins and H&Rs), and too small for our growing family (daughter is turning 3 in June).

I previously rented an 2008 Edge for a week while I was swapping in a new motor in my 850 and enjoyed the extra room, ground clearance, nearly identical MPG. I wasn't too thrilled about the styling of the car, so we explored different options (mostly subaru, volvo, and some others, new and used)

Then comes along the 2011 Edge with improvements in most of the areas I found important including styling (I think they really hit the nail on the head with this design). After doing more research, I felt it was a good time to buy as car supply would go down and prices up with the whole Japanese earthquake and a thriving new car sales market heading into Summer.

I made sure to get the tow package as I planned on getting outdoors more often. I really wanted the Vista roof and the Roof Rails, but we know that was not an option. Did my research and found it was possible to add a rack later (pretty much impossible to add the BAMR later :lol:)

• 2 weeks later...

Why did you get your Edge you ask?

Three words... CHICKS DIG THE EDGE (OK 4). Hope my wife doesn't do forums like she does neighbors.

Seriously though, went from ubertech stiff but sporty 17 MPG '07 SH-AWD MDX that was $50K (91 octane only) to a new bleeding edge-Edge Limited that worked out to be easier on the wallet each month and got at least 5 more MPG on regular gas, decked out in 2WD at around $40K. Didn't need the Lego third row or snowshuredness (Floridian transplant adaptation) of the MDX anyway. I'm one of those geeks that wants the bells, whistles, and the factory that built them and got plenty. My Touch fun-ctions combined with Edge 60 percent parts and style update stood out in a field of also-than competitors, some due for update a decade ago (can you believe the Lexus RX endurance?). Can't believe they packed all this tech (and went with mass beta testing of software) in one package. Amaze your friends with active cruise that dings & flashes windscreen LEDs and preloads brakes if a car is slow/stopped ahead even if cruise is off. These along with lots of other gee-whiz features (like 10K word recognition vocabulary) that you wouldn't expect on a midsize SUV much less a mainstream Ford make it thee value in today's crowded market in this new to this forum but not new to car person's opinion. Take a trip following a tour bus and tell me Adaptive Cruise with constant but adjustable following distance is a waste... liar! Immense skyroof rivals some stadiums and pleases the second row clustrophobic prone. These features aren't all about flash and showing off, they're practical and subdued, always doing CYA duties looking for blind spot lurkers in traffic and approaching yet invisible cross traffic when backing out of a parking space using rear quarterpanel radar. Although not sharks with freaking laser beams on their heads, it's close enough for me and it works well, bravo Ford engineers! It sees things you can't sometimes, when it does just hit the brakes, wait, look around, perhaps utter WTFO, and after the old lady with a shopping cart or speedy car zooms by (dash indicator shows hazard direction), smile and think of your now starving insurance agent.

Considered the Lincoln instead but saw little adds for 100 more Franklins (cooled seats, wow, insert your fave rear end joke here). Quirky feature integration sometimes and software has more evolution ahead but still a great job overall. Unfortunately inept dealer service is jeapordizing satisfaction as they evolve slowly, same single switch mechanics lost in an IT immersed world. Pavlov trained dogs with bells and food, Ford seems to be coaxing rednecks using Skoal to fix one-a them there fancy integrated circuit moduly thangs and you know what Ron White says about that.

Sport model with blackout, 22s, and Stang thrust is for the two percenters. what's next, an Aerostar NASCAR edition? They should have called the top model the Edge UN-Limited. :shift:

As an added bonus, remind me what other major US car company said no thanks we have our act together at gov't bail/hand-out time? :wub:

YMMV, BNI, NWE/I

Edited by Modranger

Why did you get your Edge you ask?

Three words... CHICKS DIG THE EDGE (OK 4). Hope my wife doesn't do forums like she does neighbors.

Seriously though, went from ubertech stiff but sporty 17 MPG '07 SH-AWD MDX that was $50K (91 octane only) to a new bleeding edge-Edge Limited that worked out to be easier on the wallet each month and got at least 5 more MPG on regular gas, decked out in 2WD at around $40K. Didn't need the Lego third row or snowshuredness (Floridian transplant adaptation) of the MDX anyway. I'm one of those geeks that wants the bells, whistles, and the factory that built them and got plenty. My Touch fun-ctions combined with Edge 60 percent parts and style update stood out in a field of also-than competitors, some due for update a decade ago (can you believe the Lexus RX endurance?). Can't believe they packed all this tech (and went with mass beta testing of software) in one package. Amaze your friends with active cruise that dings & flashes windscreen LEDs and preloads brakes if a car is slow/stopped ahead even if cruise is off. These along with lots of other gee-whiz features (like 10K word recognition vocabulary) that you wouldn't expect on a midsize SUV much less a mainstream Ford make it thee value in today's crowded market in this new to this forum but not new to car person's opinion. Take a trip following a tour bus and tell me Adaptive Cruise with constant but adjustable following distance is a waste... liar! Immense skyroof rivals some stadiums and pleases the second row clustrophobic prone. These features aren't all about flash and showing off, they're practical and subdued, always doing CYA duties looking for blind spot lurkers in traffic and approaching yet invisible cross traffic when backing out of a parking space using rear quarterpanel radar. Although not sharks with freaking laser beams on their heads, it's close enough for me and it works well, bravo Ford engineers! It sees things you can't sometimes, when it does just hit the brakes, wait, look around, perhaps utter WTFO, and after the old lady with a shopping cart or speedy car zooms by (dash indicator shows hazard direction), smile and think of your now starving insurance agent.

Considered the Lincoln instead but saw little adds for 100 more Franklins (cooled seats, wow, insert your fave rear end joke here). Quirky feature integration sometimes and software has more evolution ahead but still a great job overall. Unfortunately inept dealer service is jeapordizing satisfaction as they evolve slowly, same single switch mechanics lost in an IT immersed world. Pavlov trained dogs with bells and food, Ford seems to be coaxing rednecks using Skoal to fix one-a them there fancy integrated circuit moduly thangs and you know what Ron White says about that.

Sport model with blackout, 22s, and Stang thrust is for the two percenters. what's next, an Aerostar NASCAR edition? They should have called the top model the Edge UN-Limited. :shift:

As an added bonus, remind me what other major US car company said no thanks we have our act together at gov't bail/hand-out time? :wub:

YMMV, BNI, NWE/I

I've read your 2 posts, and come to the conclusion that you're a funny guy hysterical.gif

• Like 1

My wife's car was a 2000 Impala. It had several things wrong with it and if we had fixed all of those things neither of us would trust it to take it out of town.

We had purchased the Impala new and we had to have an internal coolant leak fixed and the major item when we traded it was an internal oil leak. I have only had two cars in my life that needed internal engine work dond, and both of those were purchased used. I just don't trust GM right now. I

I was going to get her a Taurus but she said that getting in and out of the Impala not only was difficult but sometimes painful. She said she would force herself to drive a SUV. So I looked at the Edge. I was following first the Taurus and then the Edge on Cars.com, and it seemed that all of the Fords had black interiors, even with Silver, which is my wife's favorite color for a car. When and SEL showed up with Silver exterior and Light Stone interior and a sales price in our budget we went for it. It has more features than we needed or wanted but we bought it.

I went to the dealer with preapproved credit from my bank at 3.39%. The finance manager got us credit at 2.59% for the same term This was April 30, 2011. We are still trying to get use to it. My wife is retired so she drives to the store, library and Doctors in it. I get to drive in on the weekends. I can't wait for weekends.!!!

Edited by 11Edge

• 1 month later...

I wanted to have a vehicle with more interior spacing/cargo ability. I have three hunting dogs that while in town I want to be able to take on a cruise to the local park, but need something to haul their trailer as well when I need to. Couldn't quite pull that off in my Camry. I wanted to get the most out of my interior space for haulign things and people. I wanted room. I test drove several, read and researched competing products. Once I planted myself in the Ford Edge for a test drive I was struck by the difference in the ride, the comfort, the quiet cabin, modern features, the power of the engine but also quiet operation of the engine, I liked the exterior and interior styling. Didn't jump for joy over the new model sticker price. So I stopped looking when I read so many complaints about the ful economy on top of pricing. Drove and escape. I had been spoiled and it simply felt like I was driving a small truck. Drove the Sorento, but again I had already been spoiled and their latest version had much imrpoved styling but the feel and ride just didn't compare. The Morano, Rogue, Rav 4, CRV, Highlander, 4 Runner, Equinox and so on just didn't either fit my needs, my pocket book or my plan. I kept thinking about the Edge. Found a good deal on a 2010 model Limited. Checked out a few different used models but when I drove up on my cinnamon color sweet heart, it took no time to draw up the papers. My Husband was just as excited because he liked the feel and design as well, not to mention he's depended on Ford his whole life and they have yet to let him down. Although I had a Camry and didn't care one single bit where it was built when I bought it or where the profits went to, I did pay much closer attention to that detail this time around. My first ride was a Ford and I have gone through plenty of makers during the years but now I am the proud owner of this Ford Edge. I get allot of versatility to make up for the 2-4 MPG difference in fuel economy I was getting before. I didn't go with the 2011 so I am missing out on all the awesome bells and wistles of MFT, new styling, hot spot possibilities and adaptive cruise control which has to be just so awesome. But I also don't have the headaches of fresh new automotive software that comes along with the new design. All in all I like the Sync features and I am still learning about them. I like keeping my hands on the wheel and being able to communicate at the same time with clarity to the persons on the other end of the line. Built in America and when it needs fixing past the warranty terms, we can handle it ourselves!!!

There were simply so many more pro's than con's that I feel good about the decision. I saved $11k buying a gently used model with 11K miles of warranty left. So fine by me. I like the air bag protection, the leather seats, my new Husky Liner all weather mats, the paint job, my dual AC that cools great. I did hope to get a model with the BAMR but based on the stupid temps we are getting right now, I am fine without it. There were so many advances in the last ten years in automobiles that one thing I love and you might call me crazy .... is my headliner console lights! LOL I've been in a dim funk for ten years without them. I know others have them but now I have seen the light and I dig it. I have ABS which my Cmary didn't have. Just really pleased and glad I took the leap.

:happy feet:

Sweet looking ride, enjoy. I'm sure that you will be VERY happy with you Edge. As far as not having the BAMR, you can do without, OR, go to a reputable shop, and have them put in a regular moon roof. A friend did that with his Mercury, turned out real sweet. Maybe your dealership can recommend a place near you. I'm sure they have had other customers in your shoes.

Joe

Edited by JOEHIO

I looked at every crossover sold and test drove most of them. I fell in Love with the Edge when I saw the Sport model and drove it. I had an 06 Explorer that I was ready to get rid of and the Edge just fit. It looks good drives well, is ok on gas mileage, has all the goodies and lets not forget those 22's. SOLD!

Awesome! LOL I love me some canadians!!!! North America is fine for me! :D Quite frankly knowing that they are built in Canada is reassuring even more to me simply due to the manufacturers testing requirements being much more extensive intially before production in our lovely Northern country! I stand corrected with ease! Thanks for the correction tip.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've had GM cars since 1990 when I traded a doggy '74 LTD in on a Buick LeSabre. It was an excellent car, had the 3800 V6, ran good and got over 30MPH on the highway.

Traded that on a '99 LeSabre, another good car that didn't quite do as well on gas mileage.

Traded that on a 2007 Buick Redezvous, super comfortable but got lousy gas mileage, never over 22.

Traded that on a 2011 GMC Terrain. Great car, but I'm big (6-3", 245) and found that on a day trip or longer, it wasn't comfortable. Mileage on it never over 22.

Got mad over the Government Motors Consortium bailout, and then the bonuses, added that to the discomfort and did what I should have done before looking at the Terrain. I looked at an Edge.

Nearly the room of the Rendezvous. Got the Limited with everything but the Adaptave Cruise (which I wish it had) including the 2.0 I4 Ecoboost engine. Love it!

If I didn't know it was a 4 cylinder, I'd never guess by driving it. While looking at the Terrain, drove a 4 cyl Equinox and it sounded like an Indy car every time I left a stop light. That would get old. Edge is quiet.

I hope the Edge serves me well for at least 5 years. Traded the Terrain and my '03 Ranger Edge on it. Down to one car now, which is plenty for two old people. Besides, wife will kill me if I even look at another car for a while. I only had the Terrain for 10 months.

I hope the Edge serves me well for at least 5 years. Traded the Terrain and my '03 Ranger Edge on it. Down to one car now, which is plenty for two old people. Besides, wife will kill me if I even look at another car for a while. I only had the Terrain for 10 months.

Glad you found this forum... I am the other Edge buyer posting in your "sayonara" thread over on the Terrain forum.

I also hope I can get a few years out of my Edge... they are slated for a redesign for MY 2014 and are said to be dumping the V6 so I may be back in the market in the summer of 2013 for a current-gen Sport or Lincoln MKX, unless our needs change. I won't own a 4-cylinder if I can help it.