LED conversion to all interior lights and liscence plate bulbs

So i decided to re-do this post i wasn't happy with the wording

Hello all forum members just wanted to make a quick post of the LED's i used to convert all the bulbs on your edge. It's surprisingly easy and dirt cheap and looks amamzing!

Front map lights: 2 x 194 T10 LED Light Bulb

Rear passenger dome light: 3 x 39mm Festoon LED Dome Bulbs

Rear cargo light: 1 x 39mm Festoon LED Dome Bulbs

License plate (same as map lights Sylvania's website is incorrect) : 2pc 194 T10 LED Light Bulb

Now that’s where you could stop and you'd be all set but some Edge model have puddle lamps located underneath the mirrors. So here is a description on how to remove them as well as the correct bulb you will need.

With a flat head screw driver light press on the black tab and unit will drop out carefully twist it and play with it until it comes out. CAREFULLY remove the electrical contacts they are white metal and could break easily. Now use some acetone on a q-tip and place a small amount around the glued seam and use a utility knife (don't cut yourself) to cut the glue away it will be loosened by the acetone. Take the bulb out and install the new LED's. Make sure you test the bulbs before gluing the lens back on LED's only go in one way. Now use some super glue to re-attach the lenses and re install the puddle lamp and your done!

Puddle lamps: 2 x 35mm Festoon LED Light Bulbs

All my bulbs were purchased on Ebay for less than 15$ shipped to my door in Canada

Hope this helps

Matt Rochette

Edited by mathieurochette
  • Like 3

this should be a sticky thread

although this has all been covered in the other larger LED thread like +10 times, including photos. You can search here and find the thread.

To be clear, the long part # (e.g. 194-2825-501) and price you give are, of course, relative to the retailer so that is not the same for all so don't use that as a search criteria. But the Bulbs type, size and the number of pieces you need (e.g., 2 x 39mm Festoon) are the key pieces to note. Even the # of LEDs in the correct bulb size/type can vary - e.g., you can find a 4 or 6 LED bulb in 39mm Festoon for example.

Edited by Lex Talionis
  • Like 1

Well I have to say. I have had my EDGE for about two weeks. I started converting all the lights to LED. It is such a nice vehicle, that just with the lights being changed I get noticed every where I go. So far I have changed the Head Light and Fog Lights to 6000k HIDs, and all the lights on the inside to Super White LED. On the outside I changed the License plate lights to Super White LED. The hardest was the Puddle Lamps. But my buddy and I did them in about an hour. I had seen a post from LEX, I believe. His pictures really helped with kinda knowing what we were looking at before we did this. So thank you Lex. Unlike Lex, when we got the puddle lamps apart, we soldered two 6 led round lights into the unit. Then put them back to gather with some glue. The longest part of it was getting the lens off of the unit. We used razor blades. I would warn to be careful not damage the unit or yourself in this process. I can tell you that before the puddle lamps were very dim and yellow. Now my lamps light up about 6 feet out from the door. It looks pretty cool. The next Lights I am doing is LED stop and turn signals. There is a way of adding a resistor to the lights to slow them down. I don't want to encourage people to do this unless you have some knowledge of electrical systems. Just so people know I work on computers, and my buddy wired lights in police cars and emergency vehicles. So think before you do something like this, or at least have a good friend that knows what he is doing. I will be posting some pictures up soon, to try and give and idea of what my ride looks like now.

post-9610-127644753437_thumb.jpgpost-9610-127644754514_thumb.jpg

Edited by BIGNASTY

• 9 months later...

I'm going to play necromancer and bring this thread back.

1) Because it should be a sticky

2) This site is sooooo light on traffic, a thread like this deserves to pop back in action.

Thanks for writing this in one place. You'll end up saving me massive amounts of time. Going to buy my LEDs right now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On my sail boat changing out the old bulbs for LED's made a lot of sense; I can go a lot longer without a battery charge or need to start up the motor. But what is the advantage to changing out long lasting conventional bulbs for LED on a car? I don't get it.

On my sail boat changing out the old bulbs for LED's made a lot of sense; I can go a lot longer without a battery charge or need to start up the motor. But what is the advantage to changing out long lasting conventional bulbs for LED on a car? I don't get it.

Its the clean cool white light produced by LEDs along with their efficiency. If you don't have a battery saver, it can reduce the chances of battery death (albeit already low).

I also like the fact that I will never have to replace them and If I wanted to get fancy, they could be strobed or duty cycled etc.

I'm also looking into augmenting / supplementing the ambient light LEDs for brightness and possibly some fun :)

Additionally, (IMO) I feel incandescents are dino tech. You are heating a metallic element in a vacuum until it glows from heat. Versus and LED where molecules are excited and emit a certain frequency of photons.

For Brakes and signaling, LEDs have an extra safety benefit that they fire near instantaneously, adding milliseconds to the reaction times of those who need to see the lights. Those milliseconds might be the difference between an accident and a near miss.

Edited by cal3thousand

• 4 weeks later...

I recently picked up a 2008 Edge Limited AWD and was happy to find the same bulb sizes as my 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I will be pulling the LEDs this weekend from the Jeep and using them in the Edge. Hopefully the flicker issue I developed in one of the license plate bulbs will disappear...

I recently picked up a 2008 Edge Limited AWD and was happy to find the same bulb sizes as my 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. I will be pulling the LEDs this weekend from the Jeep and using them in the Edge. Hopefully the flicker issue I developed in one of the license plate bulbs will disappear...

That's good!

I feel that your flickering bulb will continue as that generally indicates that the LED is dying. The control board on there is having leakage of some sort and causing the fluctuation. Hopefully your Jeeps wiring was the suspect, but my instinct says no.

That's good!

I feel that your flickering bulb will continue as that generally indicates that the LED is dying. The control board on there is having leakage of some sort and causing the fluctuation. Hopefully your Jeeps wiring was the suspect, but my instinct says no.

I found that one of the LED units still flickers but there are a total of 6 LEDs in the unit and only 2 are blinking. Anyway, I did the whole swap, with some finesse and some brute force I got the done light, map lights, rear cargo and licence plate done. I didn't have enough festoons to do the individual lights in the rear, they will have to wait. The biggest pain was getting the bulbs out of the license plate, I eventually broke them and pulled them out with pliers. Also, getting the surround from around the map lights was tough but if you pull it towards the rear of the vehicle, the plastic tabs slide out and it comes free. Here are some pics (sorry about the size):

Console with only one side done, big difference!

ConsoleDone.jpg

Rear Dome pulled out and taken apart. Also included in the picture is the festoon that I replaced with the LED for comparison

RearTrimDone.jpg

Rear license plate done - looks amazing!

LicenceDone.jpg

Other pics here:

My link

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got some 39mm Festoons in the mail for my 2011 SEL and tried to install them. They fit the rear cargo light just fine but the round metal ends are way to small to fit tight in the rear dome. Where did I go wrong? I've got them working with a few wraps of good old aluminum foil but I'd rather order the right size.

Edited by fishx65

Just got some 39mm Festoons in the mail for my 2011 SEL and tried to install them. They fit the rear cargo light just fine but the round metal ends are way to small to fit tight in the rear dome. Where did I go wrong? I've got them working with a few wraps of good old aluminum foil but I'd rather order the right size.

Just squeeze the contacts together before installing. It will bend the little metal "prongs" so they are a smaller diameter.

I squeezed mine down until they touched or almost touched (w/light off) and they spring back to a good solid size for grabbing the 39mm.

EDIT: (just in case) squeeze the contacts on the socket, not the bulb :lol:

Edited by cal3thousand

Just squeeze the contacts together before installing. It will bend the little metal "prongs" so they are a smaller diameter.

I squeezed mine down until they touched or almost touched (w/light off) and they spring back to a good solid size for grabbing the 39mm.

EDIT: (just in case) squeeze the contacts on the socket, not the bulb :lol:

Thanks C. The squeeze trick worked great. Not that happy with the brightness of these so I just ordered a few 42mm from a different vendor. I read some good things about the Dealextreme 9 led Festoons so for $2.70 each I grabbed a few. Don't mind the "Slow Boat" cuz I'm never in a hurry!!!

Thanks C. The squeeze trick worked great. Not that happy with the brightness of these so I just ordered a few 42mm from a different vendor. I read some good things about the Dealextreme 9 led Festoons so for $2.70 each I grabbed a few. Don't mind the "Slow Boat" cuz I'm never in a hurry!!!

I got a set of those but from an eBay seller iirc that weren't so bright, but the DX one's may be different.

BUT I did get something from DX that was pretty sweet for $4:

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/white-smd-2-3-6-led-cabin-dome-door-glove-box-light-12v-12743

They just fit in each pocket and come with a handful of connectors so you could put the lights in all sorts of sockets. I have the extra sockets in a bin for my next projects.

Only 6 LEDs, but brighter than the 9 LED cheapie I got from eBay

• 4 weeks later...