2011 Edge/MKX My Touch and Sync Problems

akirby

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/index.php?/topic/7332-inside-info-on-mft-development/page__view__findpost__p__58713

You can trust Waldo on this one. BTW - this doesn't mean that Ford isn't still paying Bsquare under the contract terms even if they decided to redo the software in house. Happens all the time.

I can only say it would surprise me that Microsoft would do this. This is an area I have good knowledge of and unless someone can tell us some proper facts about whats going on its still just hearsay. Microsoft doing something for Ford inhouse would be extremely rare indeed. They would not want the support burden etc that would come with it which is why Microsoft Embedded is a channel business. They have partners that they want to take on this type of work. BSquare are a partner but not only that... they happen to run some of Microsofts licensing programmes for them too (they also happen to license Flash Lite for Adobe ;-)).

This "rewrite" could easily be something I've suggested which is an upgrade from Auto 4 to Automotive 7. Remember that with 4, there was a very basic interface and this is why Ford/Bsquare chose to use Adobe Flash as their front end. With 7 that goes away as Microsoft implemented a Silverlight interface which is easily customizable... it should perform a lot better. The whole underlying platform changed between Auto 4 and Automotive 7. Its a significant improvement and could be described by non technical people as a "rewrite".

My feeling is whats probably happening is development is still taking place with BSquare heavily involved, supported by a team of Microsoft folks from the Partner Solutions Team. Also note that development is now taking place at the "Ford Telematics Competency Center" not "BSquare". This is a dedicated team/office but is run by Bsquare using Fords money. Its basically means "Ford employees" but without them being on Ford payroll - many reasons for that.

We have to wait and see I guess. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.... If I am I will happily admit it - I'm trying to give everyone some perspective here with background knowledge of things I can't talk about ;-). I am an unhappy MFT equipped Edge owner too so I'm with you all!

Edited by l33

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2011 Edge Limited.

Overall, not a bad car. Did get a great lease on it -- Loaded Edge Limited - $372/mo, with drive off fees.

Had a 2011 Mustang GT/Brembo (it got totaled and a 2012 replacement on order.

Sync in the mustangs - not as robust - had zero problems, however, I can't say the same for the Edge Limited. The problems are big, mostly Microsoft software upgrades. For me personally, I like things a big simpler (i.e knobs ;) but the bluetooth phone and ipod control is nice. Navigation isn't bad either.

-d

Edited by edamon

I have a 2011 Edge Limited.

Overall, not a bad car. Did get a great lease on it -- Loaded Edge Limited - $372/mo, with drive off fees.

Had a 2011 Mustang GT/Brembo (it got totaled and a 2012 replacement on order.

Sync in the mustangs - not as robust - had zero problems, however, I can't say the same for the Edge Limited. The problems are big, mostly Microsoft software upgrades. For me personally, I like things a big simpler (i.e knobs ;) but the bluetooth phone and ipod control is nice. Navigation isn't bad either.

-d

What were the details of your deal?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone.

Haven't been around here in awhile, but we were an early 2011 Edge buyer (purchased an SEL in October 2010) and have been having problems with MFT from the beginning.

We're now at SYNC Version Gen2 - V2.7 and still having some issues, and I'm trying to decide if I should "risk" getting the latest update because they always seem to introduce new bugs. Here's what we are still having since the last update (this list is a 10th the size of what it used to be):

• Voice recognition is TERRIBLE. I have to practically yell into the mic, and it doesn't recognize "yes" unless I hiss like a snake: "yesssssssssssss"
  • System went completely blank one time; vehicle restarts did not fix the issue. Pulled a fuse and it started back up.
  • The whole MFT system locked up and crashed when a door was opened while the vehicle was in reverse (and the backup camera was in operation). Had to put the vehicle in park and restart it before MyFord Touch came back to life.
  • Clock occasionally is wrong -- it shows some random time, or will be just 1 hour off. Manually resetting it or waiting until the next time the vehicle is started usually fixes this.
  • Won’t connect to home WiFi network -- sees the network, asks for password, but then fails to connect. All other devices (PCs, Macs, phones, etc) can connect to home network without a problem. WPA2 security; other 2011 Edge owners I’ve spoken with haven’t had any issues connecting to WPA2 networks.
  • USB audio (from iPhones) has little random “hiccups” that are EXTREMELY annoying. Very short, but very frequent most of the time. Almost like a skipping CD.
  • Sometimes radio preset buttons become blank, then spontaneously reappear

EDIT: I should add that I just bought a 2011 Kia Optima SX Turbo (the Edge is my wife's car), and it can do everything that MyFord Touch/Sync can do except voice command of artists/songs (I can't say "Play Bob Dylan"). The UI isn't quite as elegant looking, but overall it puts the Ford system to shame. It is super snappy -- you touch a button on the touchscreen and it responds *instantly*. Its voice recognition is 100% better than Ford's, and I have experienced zero bugs. It always connects to my phone, it streams via bluetooth or USB flawlessly, it never crashes, it never does something I don't expect.

Edited by rogersmj

• 2 weeks later...

Brought my 2011 Edge in for it's 5th update last week and the dealer service manager called me at the end of the day to come pick up my car. It wasn't going to get fixed. The response I got from yet another new service manager was that their Sync guy had problems. I pressed for details and he said the Ford internet was down. I knew then that I was being hosed. I told him to keep the car until it was fixed. He refused saying that the car runs and they can't find anything wrong and after some more haggling, he admitted that Ford had recalled the update and their Sync guy was only there two days a week. When I picked up the car, he told me to call every morning at 700AM to see if the Sync guy was there for the day and if Ford had another update. After this many trips to the dealer either without a loaner or a piece of crap when I'm paying dearly for their touted technology in a Limited Edge, it's time for a change. I'm going to drop off my car as soon as the problem redevelops, and leave it there until it is fixed. We should all do the same. Imagine thousands of Ford vehicle left at the dealers for a Sync fix that is will not come anytime soon. Then an attorney presents them with a class action suit for this debacle. I'll be happy to take back my money and go buy a replacement from a competitor. We've been sold a bag of goods. Sync Sucks.

Glad I'm not the only one who is at their wits end with the Sync system and the feeling of being hosed by the service dept. At least they put me in a nice loaner for the last week (I put my "big girl panties" on and got in their face...l didn't pay all kinds of money for the MKX to be forced into a beater while my car is in the shop because of manufacturing shortfalls!). When the Sync locked up on me this morning I pulled to the side of the road and took some cell phone pics of it and now I get to go play "nice" with the service dept yet again. I think my next vehicle is going to be a Yugo with a sundial and a widget stick for GPS!

Just bought a 2011 Edge Limited in China. The problem here in China is that Ford dealers have no idea when they can get Gen2 - V2.8 from Ford. The current software version we are running is V2.4. I am just wondering if I can get any help from you guys since there are no any updates avaliable on Syncmyride.com.

Does anyone have a download link for SYNC Gen2 - V2.8?

Just bought a 2011 Edge Limited in China. The problem here in China is that Ford dealers have no idea when they can get Gen2 - V2.8 from Ford. The current software version we are running is V2.4. I am just wondering if I can get any help from you guys since there are no any updates avaliable on Syncmyride.com.

Does anyone have a download link for SYNC Gen2 - V2.8?

The updates for the Edge have all required a visit to the dealership. There is no way of doing it yourself.

Kind of disappointed. I just bought my Ford Edge last weekend and specifically asked them to make sure the Sync version was the latest and greatest only to find out when they finally put my info on syncmyride that it was Gen 2 V2.4. I am wondering whether it would be worth it to just wait til the next version to come out or go back and get V2.8?

Kind of disappointed. I just bought my Ford Edge last weekend and specifically asked them to make sure the Sync version was the latest and greatest only to find out when they finally put my info on syncmyride that it was Gen 2 V2.4. I am wondering whether it would be worth it to just wait til the next version to come out or go back and get V2.8?

Word on the street is that 2.11will be out before Aug. 11

UPDATE:

It looks like 2.11 is out now!

This post has a list of the fixes

Implemented corrective action to recover automatically from remaining known “black screen” root causes using a module reset timer.

Reduced occurrences of the MyFord Touch display staying active for thirty (30) seconds when IGN OFF, door open.

Improved system stability during the following scenarios/situations:

While replying to a text message.

Large amounts of Sirius Travel Link data/downloads.

Heavy Navigation usage.

Removing a USB or SD card device.

Downloading phonebooks from devices with duplicate contacts.

Digit dialing via voice.

Entertainment

Updates to missing Sirius Channel Art files and improved update algorithm.

Corrective action to ensure the radio is not turned on after a voice session or phone call.

Corrective action to ensure radio frequency is shown after a direct tune event.

Corrective actions to ensure the correct presets are shown after a VR session.

Corrective action to ensure the correct source is resumed after a VR session.

Corrective actions to ensure the correct Sirius Channel names are available using voice recognition.

Phone

Improved phone pairing and connection times.

Implemented phonebook download improvements for iPhone 4 customers.

Corrective action to remove the e911 pop-up upon each phone connection for customers in Mexico and South America.

Navigation

Improved overall stability of the South American Navigation application.

Voice

Updated static list items in the “What Can I Say?” screen to match the language selected.

Corrective action to ensure a VR session while in the radio source sets the correct station number

Edited by wilsons66604

Sounds like I will be in need of this update. Yesterday I got the black screen for the first time. The radio stayed on and none of the steering wheel controls worked except for the volume. Then the radio stayed on even after I shut off the ignition. I was at work and the dealer sent a guy to disconnect the battery terminal which reset everything and solved (temporarily) the radio issue.

I got the black screen 3 weeks ago, the dealer replaced the APIM but cannot get the NAV working. Any helps or suggestions ??

Sounds like your dealership is not too bright. Most likely they are the reason for the new APIM...they "bricked" the original one while trying to up date it.

Is there another dealership or Quick Lane in the area?

or , tell your dealership to get it figured out. This is unacceptable to not have the Nav working.

I had Gen2.8 downloaded to my 2011 Lincoln MKX about 3 weeks ago by my dealer to deal with a number of problems with MLT. A week later I started my vehicle and Navigation showed SD card fault and no Navigation. I could not get my vehicle into the dealer prior to leaving on a week's vacation. My vehicle went in yesterday and I monitored my Sync account on line. Yesterday they reloaded Gen2.8 twice without any success. Today they downloaded Gen2.11 and Uninstalled Gen2.8. I just received a phone call from the Service manager advising that everything is now working and the vehicle is ready to go. Will see how long MLT goes without problems this time.

Edited by Albertabound

There is a new tsb that came out today

TSB 11-7-24

Some 2011 Edge, MKX and Explorer vehicles equipped with MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch built on or before 7/12/2011 may experience various concerns in the following areas: Blank/black display screen, radio switches from off to on or changes state after ending a phone call or voice command, phone pairing, incorrect Sirius channel selection using voice command, unable to download photo resolution 800x378, phonebook downloads, AM/FM missing preset display information, voice recognition, voice recognition when using SYNC services, USB device detection, travel link download time, Sirius channel art logo mismatch, Clock intermittently displays incorrect time, traffic direction and information (TDI) calling wrong phone number, travel link subscription, address book downloads, navigation set in kilometers but voice communicates in miles, and backup camera scrolling display

There is a new tsb that came out today

TSB 11-7-24

Some 2011 Edge, MKX and Explorer vehicles equipped with MyFord Touch and MyLincoln Touch built on or before 7/12/2011 may experience various concerns in the following areas: Blank/black display screen, radio switches from off to on or changes state after ending a phone call or voice command, phone pairing, incorrect Sirius channel selection using voice command, unable to download photo resolution 800x378, phonebook downloads, AM/FM missing preset display information, voice recognition, voice recognition when using SYNC services, USB device detection, travel link download time, Sirius channel art logo mismatch, Clock intermittently displays incorrect time, traffic direction and information (TDI) calling wrong phone number, travel link subscription, address book downloads, navigation set in kilometers but voice communicates in miles, and backup camera scrolling display

Is there more to this? Is there another release forthcoming? Thanks.

Sorry I am new to this but what is a TSB and how do I download/use this? My Edge Sport, built on 5/31/2011, is running Gen2.8, and do far the problem is that Bluetooth audio doesn't work, even though the phone works absolutely perfect, and USB plays music but no sond comes through speakers. Would love to get some feedback. Other than that, I love my Sport and wouldn't think twice about buying it again. :happy feet:

Sorry I am new to this but what is a TSB and how do I download/use this? My Edge Sport, built on 5/31/2011, is running Gen2.8, and do far the problem is that Bluetooth audio doesn't work, even though the phone works absolutely perfect, and USB plays music but no sond comes through speakers. Would love to get some feedback. Other than that, I love my Sport and wouldn't think twice about buying it again. :happy feet:

A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin that the dealers have access to. It describes problems that have been experienced and the solution. It is a lower level than a recall. You cannot download it, you are confusing it with some My Ford Touch (MFT) updates.

So this particular TSB describes MFT problems that some owners are experiencing. The solution is to have the dealer install version 2.11

One update that I was able to download and install was for the Sirius channel names. I lost the ability to say the name of the channel, such as Classic Vinyl, Elvis, etc. This happened after Sirius updated their channels. Full version updates like 2.4, 2.8 and now seemingly 2.11 must be done by a dealer

A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin that the dealers have access to. It describes problems that have been experienced and the solution. It is a lower level than a recall. You cannot download it, you are confusing it with some My Ford Touch (MFT) updates.

So this particular TSB describes MFT problems that some owners are experiencing. The solution is to have the dealer install version 2.11

One update that I was able to download and install was for the Sirius channel names. I lost the ability to say the name of the channel, such as Classic Vinyl, Elvis, etc. This happened after Sirius updated their channels. Full version updates like 2.4, 2.8 and now seemingly 2.11 must be done by a dealer

Thanks for the info. That was helpful. So can we confirm that Gen2.11 is officially out?

I own a 2011 Lincoln MKX for about one month. I have been back to the dealer three times for the new SYNC "fix" It worked for a while and is now worse than it was prior. I need the navigation and hands free for business every day. It was the main reason I bought the previous 2008 Lincoln MKX. My lease was up and I considered lease end purchase of the 2008 but I really loved all the features of the new one so I went for it. Boy am I disappointed. From day one the SYNCsystem has been a hassle. First day on pick up at the dealer could not get the phone to sync. Took trying it 30 times. The dealer said my phone was old (my phone is not a droid or smart phone) but it is only a year old. It connects when it feels like it. the other problem was getting to load the ipod music, that took numerous times of loading and then it refusing to load. The navigation is so slow to enter info or respond. Last night my phone would not sync at all the whole ride home had no hands free or voice command. That has happened a number of times before. When I finally got home the system should shut off when you open the door but last night the stereo kept playing for a good twenty minutes on leaving and locking the vehicle. This vehicle is 50+thousand dollars r u kidding? I am so frustrated and upset I do not know even where to start!!!