Oil Change

luvford

Has anyone gotten their oil changed yet? I have a little over 3,000 miles and my dealer says I should get it changed. The owners manual says to wait until the oil monitoring sensor says to change it.

What is everyone's plan? Wait for the sensor? Change on a regular X mile basis.

Thanks!

Has anyone gotten their oil changed yet? I have a little over 3,000 miles and my dealer says I should get it changed. The owners manual says to wait until the oil monitoring sensor says to change it.

What is everyone's plan? Wait for the sensor? Change on a regular X mile basis.

Thanks!

3000 is way too soon. That's just the dealer drumming up business. I believe the 2011s have a more sophisticated algorithm so you should follow the owner's manual recommendation and wait for the message center to warn you or alternatively you could change it every 6 months if you don't get the change message sooner.

3000 is way too soon. That's just the dealer drumming up business. I believe the 2011s have a more sophisticated algorithm so you should follow the owner's manual recommendation and wait for the message center to warn you or alternatively you could change it every 6 months if you don't get the change message sooner.

I am changing my oil at 1600km.

Owner manual states that the oil should not be touched until 1000 miles or 1600 km.

It ships with special additives to seat the rings but the oil is not a 100% synthetic.

I want Mobil 100% 5W20 synthetic oil in my 2011 Ford Edge Limited.

Seating the rings means forming the contact edge of the rings so that they scrape the inside of the cylinder as they travel up and down. This provides better protection from oil gatting into the combustion chamber and exhaust blow-by into the crankcase. Depending on how the vehicle is driven, the rings should seat in 1,000 miles. I would wait until 3,000 miles at the earliest (just to be sure) to go full synthetic unless you are in a very cold climate (in which case I would go to a 0W20 full synthetic.)

Switching to a full synthetic too early can permit the rings to form rounded contact surfaces which will not clean the cylinder walls as effectively, and may permit blow-by and reduced compression. This can lead to excessive oil consumption and shorter spark plug life.

Owner's Manual sez...

You should perform the engine oil change as indicated by the message center. The message center will display ENGINE OIL CHANGE SOON or OIL CHANGE REQUIRED to indicate when an oil change is needed. The engine oil change service needs to be completed within two weeks or 500 miles (800 km) after the OIL CHANGE REQUIRED message is displayed. Your oil change service interval can be up to one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 km).

I am changing my oil at 1600km.

Owner manual states that the oil should not be touched until 1000 miles or 1600 km.

It ships with special additives to seat the rings but the oil is not a 100% synthetic.

Not correct - at least not in the States. The owner's manual specifically says not to add anything and it doesn't say anything about not changing the oil until 1000 miles. Ford doesn't use special additives to seat the rings. Maybe you got confused about not towing a trailer for the first 1000 miles.

Here is the quote in addition to the other one already posted. If this is different in Canada please post the relevant OM section.

BREAKING-IN YOUR VEHICLE

Your vehicle does not need an extensive break-in. Try not to drive

continuously at the same speed for the first 1,000 miles (1,600 km) of

new vehicle operation. Vary your speed frequently in order to give the

moving parts a chance to break in.

Drive your new vehicle at least 1,000 miles (1,600 km) before towing a

trailer. For more detailed information about towing a trailer, refer to

Trailer towing in the Tires, Wheels and Loading chapter.

Do not add friction modifier compounds or special break-in oils since

these additives may prevent piston ring seating. See Engine oil in the

Maintenance and Specifications chapter for more information on oil

usage.

I want to add Amsoil 0w20 as soon as I possibly can. Amsoil's tech line says I can do it immediately. I would rather have the protection of that oil now that our temps have been in the teens (F). There seems to be conflicting info about how early is too early to change to full syn.

I want to add Amsoil 0w20 as soon as I possibly can. Amsoil's tech line says I can do it immediately. I would rather have the protection of that oil now that our temps have been in the teens (F). There seems to be conflicting info about how early is too early to change to full syn.

Grey's info comes from Ford engineers. I would trust that before I would trust a 3rd party oil mfr. Remember the factory oil is a synthetic blend and you shouldn't have any problems with temps in the teens. Below 0 - maybe. I would wait it out until at least 3K just to be safe. Factory oil should be fine until then.

Will the new Oil Brain in this Edge be expecting a certain type of oil?

I would assume that it will expect the recommended manual stated oil. It wont know if you use a long life or short life or cold conditions etc. It may be smarter than the average bear in terms of a car but computers only do what the programmers tell it.

I spoke with my cousin who is a supervisor in service dept at a dealer in SC and he said that 3k miles is the recommended minimum for the first change and then follow the computer after that. I trust his opinion since he is always the first guy to go to all training in Atlanta at Ford.

He had no real comments on computer issues either. He hasnt seen any and was shocked to hear the MFT issues with some vehicles. He also told me to wait for updates to get worked out on other peoples cars first before taking the chance of bricking mine since 99 percent of mine works.

Grey's info comes from Ford engineers. I would trust that before I would trust a 3rd party oil mfr. Remember the factory oil is a synthetic blend and you shouldn't have any problems with temps in the teens. Below 0 - maybe. I would wait it out until at least 3K just to be safe. Factory oil should be fine until then.

OK, will do. 3000 miles it is.

I don't disagree that rings need to be seated due to hatching, at the same time, do you have any data to backup the fact that it takes approx. 1K miles to seat and 3K to just play it safe other than thats how it used to be? I'm not trying to be a d##k, I just really haven't seen any "proof" of this (other than the first 50ish miles) other than evidence or practices from the last century.

Seating the rings means forming the contact edge of the rings so that they scrape the inside of the cylinder as they travel up and down. This provides better protection from oil gatting into the combustion chamber and exhaust blow-by into the crankcase. Depending on how the vehicle is driven, the rings should seat in 1,000 miles. I would wait until 3,000 miles at the earliest (just to be sure) to go full synthetic unless you are in a very cold climate (in which case I would go to a 0W20 full synthetic.)

Switching to a full synthetic too early can permit the rings to form rounded contact surfaces which will not clean the cylinder walls as effectively, and may permit blow-by and reduced compression. This can lead to excessive oil consumption and shorter spark plug life.

Edited by Stryprod

Also, to answer the first question. The oil quality is based off an algorithm that is based of your speed/RPM (engine usage), ambient/average temperature (external/ internal added wear essentially), and car specifications (average weight), etc. The quality displayed is not correct if you are doing heavy towing or driving in dirty conditions because the car has no way to measure those variables. In those instances, the manual makes estimations on oil, coolant, and transmissions changes based on pure averages with safe padding.

Again, these are averages and you can fall on the lower end of the bell curve and be disproportionately penalized despite Ford best "padding" efforts. How Ford decides arbitrarily how long it is until you need an oil change under these heavy duty (towing, and dirty) conditions is the same assumption that had been made in the past based on a 3K oil change, which is that it was the average and padded for safety for the products at hand at that time. The fact of that matter is, that beyond an initially small amount of driven mileage, its best to change oil based upon driving habits which are most likely akin to those assumed to be true within the oil quality meter.

Amazingly enough, automobiles and cars are about the last items Americans WANT longevity out of, and the manufacturers make all attempts to increase the life of the automobile. Knowing this, it is wise to follow the manual which states to follow the oil quality guide unless, and only unless, you have abnormal driving habits.

Edited by Stryprod

Not directly related I'm afraid, but I'd like to know if anyone here has experienced what they consider a lot of oil consumption during their break-in period? Modern gas engines are supposed to use very little oil. My MKX 3.7L uses more than any new engine I've ever encountered yet my dealer tells me it's normal. I've posted a thread about it in this forum in the 3.7L engine section but perhaps there's someone here who has experienced it.

Friday, Dec 17th, 2010.....just picked up my '11 Limited (with 302A and a few other fun options....20" wheels/tires, lighted sills....;) .......and I only have about 300 miles on it. I just ordered a magnetic drain plug.....and will install when it arrives. I'll do it on a cold engine and do it quickly so I won't lose much oil at all.....will top it off if needed. It is amazing how much metallic debris these plugs catch.....especially on a brand new engine.

I had my first change last week @ 8000KM. I had asked my sales rep if I needed to bring it in early for the break in and he told me yes @ 5000KM. When I brought it in at that time, the service adviser told me it was a waste of time and that it didn't need anything until 8k. He said he'd do it if I wanted and then noticed I had the Ford Service plan and told me Ford won't even let them change the oil at less then 8K intervals. I have the extended warranty and service to 6 years/160,000 KM. With this combo, I'm sure Ford would want to ensure its done by the book to keep them from costly repairs.

The service guy also told me Ford puts in a "break in" oil at the factory, so nothing special other then correct driving technique is required. Just get your regular interval oil change. Not sure who's right, but that is what they told me. :shrug:

I also had my winters put on...more on that coming soon in another thread, but related to the service part, it was funny that it took them 30 min to figure out how to program the TPMS as my Edge was the first push button start they've had to program and they didn't know how to cycle the key. :hysterical: Great guys though!

The service guy also told me Ford puts in a "break in" oil at the factory, so nothing special other then correct driving technique is required. Just get your regular interval oil change. Not sure who's right, but that is what they told me. :shrug:

They were right about not needing an early oil change but wrong about the break-in oil. It's no longer used - at least not in the Edge.

• 4 weeks later...

Just installed the magnetic oil drain plug. Put it up on my ramps....15mm for the OEM plug and 13mm wrench for the new magnetic (also put on a new crush washer). Lost very little oil on the transfer of plugs (maybe 1 to 2 ounces).

Got 1,800 miles on it now and plan to change between 2,500 and 3,000. Will not go to Mobil 1 Synthetic until above 10,000.....probably closer to 15,000 (18,000 max) as I want it to get broken well. Unless my new cars come from the factory with Synthetic (like my Corvette and Prius), I don't go Synthetic until about 18,000 miles.

With the price of an oil change around $24, I won't pay that much attention to whether the mileage is 3k, 5k, 7k, or whatever. In my Taurus (may she rest in peace due to an "ouch"), I never went above 5k, I just kept an eye on how dirty the oil was and it worked for 140,000 miles. It will be interesting to see what oil life I get from the computer.

The way I figure, I am getting a car wash and wiper fluid refill and that's worth about 5 bucks right there, especially this time of year with all the road spray!

• 11 months later...

Friday, Dec 17th, 2010.....just picked up my '11 Limited (with 302A and a few other fun options....20" wheels/tires, lighted sills....;) .......and I only have about 300 miles on it. I just ordered a magnetic drain plug.....and will install when it arrives. I'll do it on a cold engine and do it quickly so I won't lose much oil at all.....will top it off if needed. It is amazing how much metallic debris these plugs catch.....especially on a brand new engine.

I just ordered a 2012 Edge Limited. What size is the drain plug / where did you order it from? I too want to get a magnetic plug on it asap. Thanks!!