Edge. Wife car or Guy car?

thinguy

I say that the Ford Edge is more of a 'chick car', but who really cares. My wife originally leased her 07' before we got married. She is a big Browns fan and naturally opted for the copper orange. Anyway, we bought out the lease, and although she drives to and from work in the Edge, I always drive when we are together -- church, out-to-eat, shopping, etc. We have a 33 month old son, and size wise, it is perfect for our needs. In our area, I think, more women than men drive it. However, I will take it to work when she is off or use it to shop because it is a very nice ride, and she doesn't put her own gas in (unless she absolutely has to).

I would say it's a family car. Not really a chick car. In most situations the wife will be tooling around with the kids so they will take the bigger car. The guy will drive the sport coupe or sedan to work etc.

Although I have only seen men driving the Sport. My girlfriend is terrified to drive my Sport after I gave her a lecture about not curbing the rims :D

My wife made the decision for the 2011 Sport, because of the interior and the size of the car. I only added the BLIS and AWD. Used European cars are to expensive even in Germany, so we took the Edge and imported it. It seems that we are the only ones in the greater Munich area who owns a Edge. It is very unique over here and we get a tons of compliments. Our 5 months old little man loves the sun/moon roof. :-)

I think the Edge is pretty gender neutral. I've always preferred the higher ride of SUV's and Crossovers as well as having the ability to easily carry whatever I need to, and have never felt the need to drive something sporty as a single guy. The Edge fits me perfectly, and we're planning on structuring the lease so that in 2 years my brother can buy out the lease for his wife to drive, so it truly is both.

I think it really depends on the owner because the edge is pretty versatile I think personally. I've seen alot of women and men driving the edge I would say 50/50 It's a great vehicle! For me personally it's our family suv gets myself and our 2 sons around safely don't get me wrong though it's safe to say I've probably made it a little more feminine by adding my own ladylike touches here and there lol it maybe one of the reasons why my hubby stays away from my edge :lol:

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had my Sport for almost 3 weeks now and love it. The only option I would have preferred would have been AWD, but no real need here in TX. My wife drives a Dodge Challenger, her dream car. But ever since I got the Edge, she keeps disappearing with my car LOL. I've noticed a lot of luxury car drivers checking it out at red lights, too.

• 3 months later...

Picked up a '13 for my wife...she wanted it blacked it out and lowered it on 22's, so that was done the first week....since it's her car I'm going to have to vote it as a chicks car that I don't mind driving....(or an "Our" car when I have it)

I have a lifted 10' f150 and she also has a mustang gt with a Paxton so I guess if someone ever gives her crap about her "girl" car she can still back it up.

I'm not an Edge owner yet but I'm looking/planning

I've noticed a lot of women drivers when doing street spotting

Not going to deter me(guy) either way but I'm wondering what the breakdown is

Primary Edge driver Man or Woman?

Go steelers!

First off, Go Steelers!!!!!!!! Second, the newer models of the edge look masculine in my opinion, the 07-10 models are debatable (unfortunately I have one). My mom got me an 08 when I was 16 years old and I was happy to have a car but I too saw all the women and old people driving them. But as soon as I started to do small little things to make my edge look a little bit different, that all changed. I end up liking my edge more and more every day even though I wish I had a newer model of it. The new models are definitely more masculine but can be driven by either sex, who cares! The 07-10 models is 50/50 on how it looks but looks more masculine once you make it stand out. The edge is definitely a unique vehicle and I think that's why we all love it

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ya know, I asked this very question on another forum. Is it a boy car or a girl car? What should I name it? Well, a girl in Fla. told me to call her/him/it "Sandy". It was the reason I had to buy it in the first place(my Sport Trac was destroyed in the hurricane). So Sandy it is. It could be a boy car. Or a girl car. Bottom line is it's mine and I really like it. Ford does make some great vehicles! Bob

• 2 months later...

I think crossovers are always going to be seen to some extent as a "wife car" because quite often they are used as family haulers. But that said the Edge is one of the more masculine looking crossovers out there.

The only cars that are girlier than what I would consider driving are Volkswagens (especially the cars as compared to SUVs). Beetle, Jetta, Passat, etc. - very girly! Audis are a bit like that too... some of the older TTs out there look like really souped-up VW Beetles!

Edited by rickybobby

Well, in SoCal I see a lot of Edges on the road, especially freeway.

I've also seen a 50/50 of women and men drivers. It all comes down to preference really. Some guys like SUV/CUV's while others are more sports cars or trucks, same with women.

However, with the amount of post and reviews I've read on the edge, it's completely different, I see more men online talking about their Edge's.

I think it's funny when people worry about whether or not certain cars are more for women vs men, even with the color of the car.

If you like it, go for it. =)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To me, the Edge looks like a manly vehicle, but every time I see a woman driving one, she doesn't look out of place. So I'd say Ford hit a home run on the lines of the Edge, making it appealing to both genders, and certainly, opening up their market by doing so.

• Like 1

In my area, it's about 50/50 that I've seen driving Edges. I think men like the Sport rims and women would prefer the non-sport rims on the new cars (opinion in our house anyway). Once both men and women drive them though, who cares what people think. They are going to love them.

In PHX, there are a LOT of Edges running around. The distribution is 50/50 as well. However, 2nd Gen Sports are not that plentiful down here but the other trims are. In fact, I do run into Limiteds like mine quite often.