Edge. Wife car or Guy car?

thinguy

In my area, it's about 50/50 that I've seen driving Edges. I think men like the Sport rims and women would prefer the non-sport rims on the new cars (opinion in our house anyway). Once both men and women drive them though, who cares what people think. They are going to love them.

Yep - hubby wanted the sport, but technically my car. Granted we car pool so he still drives the most. We both love the car. Even our 5 year old loves it.

I think the Edge, both old and new, looks much more "masculine" than the Veracruz, Highlander, Equinox, Murano, Venza, etc. What's not for a guy to love? Good looking wheels, big 4 inch chrome exhaust tips, lots of electronic goodies, decent power. I would prefer an F-150, but in light of fuel prices, this guy is very happy with this Edge.

I see a lot of women in my area driving pick-ups, explorer's, even hummer's. So I'm not sure what is a guy/girl car anymore? Though I'm pretty sure the new mustangs are girl cars.

I've not yet had the urge to put on pantyhose while driving my edge but if it ever comes to that I have my motorcycle to fall back on and regain some testosterone.

Drive what you like and screw'em if they don't like it.

• Like 2

My 10-year-old son is sports car crazy. Gave him a ride home from archery practice tonight and he said that I have the coolest car at his school.

SWEET!!! There ya go! Since I was once a 10 year old boy, and I knew what was cool, I think that's all confirmation we need to be sure the Edge IS the coolest car! I'm psyched my 16 month old can pick out our truck in a parking lot! Waitll he can say its cool!

SWEET!!! There ya go! Since I was once a 10 year old boy, and I knew what was cool, I think that's all confirmation we need to be sure the Edge IS the coolest car! I'm psyched my 16 month old can pick out our truck in a parking lot! Waitll he can say its cool!

I love my Edge Sport and my wife and kids do too! Yesterday was the first time a total stranger walked up to me while I was in a drive thru line at a restaurant to tell me how cool my car was!

• 11 months later...

I'm a guy and I own a 2011 Ford Edge SEL. When I first bought it, a few guys joked with me about buying a minivan, but other guys thought it was cool. One of the guys drives a Crossover himself, so it's obvious they are just trying to give me a hard time.

I think it is just an all-around great SUV. I am getting about 20 mpg in the city with plenty of power and 18" wheels. I saw someone next to me admiring my car at a red light today. I've driven a fullsize truck for the past decade, but now I'm trying the SUV/Crossover thing. There weren't really any SUV's I was interested in besides the Highlander or Edge, but the Highlander is overpriced.

Edited by Gator

I've never had as many "Guy" type comments with any other vehicle I've had and can comment on every scenario mentioned.

"Is that the new Edge Sport, that looks mean!" - Mazda service adviser that lives in my area.

"Those rims are awesome (wicked...etc)" - many, many guys.

"How much are they? I've seen them on the highway and I want one!" - Some tough guy in a Home Depot parking lot as his wife rolled her eyes.

"What! They're factory?!" - Some guy checking out the 22" rims doing 120KM/h on the 401 highway and my wife shouted..."There factory!" ;-)

"My friends don't believe me that my Dad has a Ford Edge Sport and that it can do all of this cool stuff!" - My 11 year old son. (I keep him sheltered from all of the MFT issues though so he isn't jaded)

"Can I play my iPod? This is the only place I can listen to my songs and hear good bass!" - My 15 year old son. The 2 of us have gone for drives just to listen to music. (For a factory system, its quite good)

I could go on and on with the comments I get. I spend a lot of time washing it in the driveway and I'm rarely out there without one of the neighbors coming over and commenting on it. My wife always tells me to get off my high horse, its just a Ford, but I'm quite proud of my "Guy" car/truck (Cruck).

In my opinion all of the 2011's and on, have a bit meatier look to them to the older models and the Sport just takes that a bit farther.

Edited by AXCL

I'm not an Edge owner yet but I'm looking/planning

I've noticed a lot of women drivers when doing street spotting

Not going to deter me(guy) either way but I'm wondering what the breakdown is

Primary Edge driver Man or Woman?

Go steelers!

I can't think of any heterosexual guy with a pair still swinging that would say the car is a girlie car if he was the primary driver. Just sayin. :stirpot:

I bought our Edge for my wife, but ended up driving it more. So, it's a real manly car from my perspective.

I'm a 24 year old guy and just ordered a blue limited. I'm coming from a small coupe and wanted and SUV for snowboarding, buying cool stuff, towing my bike, and going shooting. The Explorer, as beautiful as it is, was just too big. Luckily for me there's a mini version of the Explorer with almost the exact same technology in the cockpit, called the Edge! The 2011 re-design is what really sold me, I had been eying a new car for about two years and that just convinced me to pull the trigger. The girlfriend, of course, loved it on the test drive.

I do think it's a car that every women loves at first sight, so a lot of women drive them. But when you take into account the awesome engines available, ability to tow (jet ski's, motorcycles etc..), and the technology in the thing, it is most definitely a man's car.

My friends have already started in on the minivan jokes, and I haven't even taken delivery of it yet!! A few of them just got 2003 Lancer Evo VIII's and have nothing but problems so far... I'd rather just skip that whole, "I'm single, young, and have the world by it's balls - look at my huge spoiler and hear the roar of my 5" exhaust!!" stage and get a vehicle that's going to be awesome to drive, yet practical in any situation. The Edge is easily the perfect car to meet that criteria. I have a feeling once my friends sit in the Edge, or drive it, the minivan jokes will come to a sudden halt. We will see....

I'm a 24 year old guy and just ordered a blue limited. I'm coming from a small coupe and wanted and SUV for snowboarding, buying cool stuff, towing my bike, and going shooting. The Explorer, as beautiful as it is, was just too big. Luckily for me there's a mini version of the Explorer with almost the exact same technology in the cockpit, called the Edge! The 2011 re-design is what really sold me, I had been eying a new car for about two years and that just convinced me to pull the trigger. The girlfriend, of course, loved it on the test drive.

I do think it's a car that every women loves at first sight, so a lot of women drive them. But when you take into account the awesome engines available, ability to tow (jet ski's, motorcycles etc..), and the technology in the thing, it is most definitely a man's car.

My friends have already started in on the minivan jokes, and I haven't even taken delivery of it yet!! A few of them just got 2003 Lancer Evo VIII's and have nothing but problems so far... I'd rather just skip that whole, "I'm single, young, and have the world by it's balls - look at my huge spoiler and hear the roar of my 5" exhaust!!" stage and get a vehicle that's going to be awesome to drive, yet practical in any situation. The Edge is easily the perfect car to meet that criteria. I have a feeling once my friends sit in the Edge, or drive it, the minivan jokes will come to a sudden halt. We will see....

I seem to make more "soccer-dad" jokes than anyone else.

I've received multiple positive comments on my Edge Sport from co-workers. The wheels draw the most attention due to their massive size (for a stock vehicle). I'm fairly confident that if I had purchased a CX-7, Grand Cherokee, or Murano I wouldn't have received nearly the same number of complements. Those vehicles are a dime a dozen, and look like every other mid-sized SUV out there. The Asian vehicles only come in drab colors as well; there are no equivalents to the attention-grabbing Red Candy.

I think it easily fits both and that's pretty much why I have 2 of them :rockon: We have a Bordeaux Limited with chrome 18's for the Wife and I have the Black Sport for me. This is actually our 3rd Edge :shift: We had the burnt orange one with graphite wheels. Only an SEL but even that one got loads of compliments. Now the guys at work rib me a little because my former car was a 2011 5.0 that was pretty badass, everyone's like why did you get rid of it. But after awhile of driving a manual in sucky traffic, of course the noise, harsh ride and no room I wanted a change. Love the 5.0 but love the my new Edge as well. Of course I have automotive ADD so I change cars about every year.

6e3b145c.jpg

Personally I am a 25 year old male that travels the US for work. I leased the 11 Edge Limited Awd. So far I love it. I personally don't think a car is a guys car or a girls car except for a few exceptions. Honestly as long as it is not pink or purple you are good to go. In college I drove a 1998 New Beetle black with a 5 speed. It wasn't very quick but I knew that car inside and out and it handled like a dream in the snow. I was the one with the last laugh when the local evo driver in town picked on me and the next snow storm I passed him. He was more worried about the fact that it was awd and neglected his tires. I also was picked on by many Honda civic owners. thing is unless they drove a EX My lil bug was faster. And in the snow forget it... Now if we were talking about a Mazda RX8 then I would say yes that is a wife car. But the Edge no. If the Edge is classified as a wife car then every SUV or CUV on the planet is a wife car....

Had a '06 Explorer Ltd, which was real "truckie" in it's ride. My '12 MKX (Edge twin) rides tons nicer, and coming from the Explorer, handles more like a sports car. The 3.7 is plenty quick enough for me, and if people want to call it a Wife car, then I guess people can start calling me Josephine, instead of Joe, but I WON'T wear a skirt ( ha-ha) !

• Like 1