Edge or MKX

Hey,

I have now test drove a fully loaded edge and lincoln mkx. I test drove the mkx first and then a few hours later the edge. I will either get a fully loaded edge or mkx.

My first question is ... Is there anything the edge is missing when you go with the fully loaded model compared to a loaded mkx?

My second question is ... Is it just more or does the MKX have a lot smoother rider?

I am leaning towards the mkx just on the smooth ride factor. If someone is able to shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Scott

I had an opportunity to drive an Edge Limited and MKX back to back at a dealership.

I found the Edge and the MKX were extremely similar in overall dynamics. The first thing that struck me was that the MKX is quieter than the Edge. I believe the Lincoln uses thicker glass and heavier sound insulation. The interior of the MKX contains dash and console stitching rather than the molded plastic in the Edge. The wood trim in the MKX in real wood rather than the faux wood found in the Edge Limited. The front seats are cooled and heated in the MKX rather than only heated as in the Edge. I found the MKX seats use softer padding and more supple leather. I didn't like the MKX seats as much as the ones found in the Edge, personally. I thought they were too soft and would be more fatiguing over time.

The MKX comes equipped with the 3.7 liter V6 rather than the 3.5 liter variant which resides in the non-Sport Edge models. I found little difference between the two in overall maximum acceleration. The 3.7 liter V6 felt slightly stronger in the mid-range, but this didn't amount to a huge difference overall. The steering and body control seemed close to identical in my drives.

IMO, unless you really like the aesthetic changes to the interior, or the different exterior styling, there isn't much which would push someone toward a higher-priced MKX over a similar Edge Limited. The Edge Sport nets you the same drivetrain, 22 inch wheels (18 inch wheels are still standard on the MKX), and more distinctive exterior styling than the MKX. A loaded Edge Limited comes with the bulk of the features of a loaded MKX for far less coin. A loaded Edge Limited or Sport model tops out near an entry level MKX.

Edited by The Outrage

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of weeks ago I traded my 2011 Edge Limited (FWD) for a 2011 Lincoln MKX (AWD) with the Preimum and Elite packages (didn't want that horrible interior that comes with the MKX Limited option - would have liked the polished 20" wheels though). Quick background, I came from a BMW into the Edge and wanted to trade back up to a vehicle with more upscale luxury and features. I test drove the:

1) Acura MDX - too small, less features than my Limited for a substantial increase in price and too low to the ground. Felt like I was driving an Accord that had been raised a few inches - very heavy vehicle for it's size and mileage suffers.

2) Mercedes ML 350/550 - was really dissapointed with this entire line. The ML350 weighs 5400+lbs and has an underpowered 268hp V6. Both mileage AND performance suffer - wouldn't hardley get out of it's own way. The driving dynamic was quite disappointing as well - kind of "wallowed" diown the road. To get most of the options included on my Limited, you have to get the Preimum model and at almost $60K, leather interior was still an additional $1975.00 and heated seats were additional as well. I also drove the ML550, and while it drove sportier than the ML350, I wanted to be a bit greener and drive somthing that will at lease break 20mpg on the highway. The weight of the 550ML was approaching 5800lbs!!

3) BMW X5 - preferred this over the ML line up, but had many of the same concerns - overpriced/under optioned, heavy and not overly fuel efficient.

4) Land Rover - very heavy and pricy vehicles with a less than stellar reliability history. There were a couple of models I like the looks of but they really didn't appeal to me so I just drove one then went on my way/ Great status symbol, but I need more from my vehicles than that.

4) Lexus - only did a spec comparison on this vehicle so can't attest to the driving dynamics, but I just can't get past the looks - (to me) it is something my wife would drive. It was a bit more expensive than the MKX and didn't offer as quite as many options.

In summary, most of the MKX competitors are still building heavy inefficent tanks and have a ways to go to be competitive (at any price) with the Edge/MKX.

I really liked my Edge Limited except for two primary areas: 1) the FWD drove too much like a minivan - I prefer rear/all wheel drive vehicles and, 2) the cheap interior. The Edge seats were mostly flat and the leather on the Limited interior was really low quality. Additionally, the plastic door panels/dash/center stack trim left a lot to be desired. Even things like the rear seat bolt covers (to the floor) that are missing on the Edge (as compared to the MKX) make it look less than classy. The window switch covers and door panel inserts are very cheap looking plastic, I would have thought a $40K vehicle would have had a bit better finish in the interior.

My Edge Limited MSRP was $40K...my MKX was $50K, below are the differences (specific to MY Limited vs MY MKX). Note that a couple of the options below you can get on on the Edge but for a fair price comparison I included everything I have on the MKX that did not come on the limited...and most of the options below - you can't get on the Edge.

- AWD vs FWD - if you prefer rear wheel drive characteristics definitley get the AWD (either on the Edge or MKX). The 2 mpg penalty in gas mileage is definilty worth it (to me) to lose the FWD/minivan "torque steer" dynamic.

- MKX is quieter, has thicker window glass, heated steering wheel, heated and cooled (three stage) front seats AND heated rear seats. The interior is quite a bit more upscale than the Limited. Much higher quality leather and better sculpted seats - not just different leather. Real wood trim on the steering wheel, dash and door panels is a nice touch, auto dim driver's side and rearview mirrors, electronic tilt/tele steering wheel linked to the memory position buttons, fog lights, console lid that slides to cover cup holders when not in use, lighted glove box and console interiors, global down on the front windows and vista roof (when unlocking the vehicle), larger engine that is still very efficient, dual exhaust, rain sensing wipers, more upscale exterior trim and taillights, Adaptive HID headlight system and BLISS with Cross Traffic Alert (CTA).

In my opinion, after owning both the 2011 Edge Limited and now the 2011 MKX, I would choose the MKX. The Edge is also a fine vehicle and both are positioned well against thier respective competition.

Good Luck!

Edited by HotLap

Hotlap, I agree with you. I am 46 and came out of a 2004 FX35. My MKX has more luxury features in it than the FX did (mind you it was 7 years old) and is faster. I like the style and don't consider it an old man's car. The Lincoln Town Car: absolutely. Old men would shit their pants at all the electronics in an MKX for starters.

Edited by richy

Hotlap, I agree with you. I am 46 and came out of a 2004 FX35. My MKX has more luxury features in it than the FX did (mind you it was 7 years old) and is faster. I like the style and don't consider it an old man's car. The Lincoln Town Car: absolutely. Old men would shit their pants at all the electronics in an MKX for starters.

LOL, I know what you mean...I'm in my early 50's and I too want to be spoiled by luxury! After owning several nice German cars - it's tough to go back to cheap plastic and poor grade leather. One of my neighbors just got a killer deal on a close out of a new 2010 MKX and she's 65 - said she got the 2010 because it didnt' have all that confusing electronics that the 2011 came with :) Too funny, I really like all that you can do with the My Ford/My Lincoln Touch system! One thing that did concern me about my Edge is that while I only had 8K miles on it when I traded the front grill looked terrible...I thought the chrome chipped way too easily could have just been a bad chrome plating on my particular Edge though.

One bummer that I just found on my MKX is that the front passenger seat doesn't fold flat like on my Edge so it's impossiblel to get lumber over 6' in the MKX without having to leave the rear hatch open. I use my MKX as a client hauler and Home Depot weekend runner so I'll have to keep this in mind.

Edited by HotLap

Well, that is an interesting question. I will be coming off my second MKX lease in March 2012 and I plan to drive both the Edge and MKX.

I drove both back in MY 2007 and the Edge's head restraints bothered me and not in the MKX. Don't know why.

I have seen some write-ups for both the 2012 and have read about the new paint choices, etc so I am looking forward to comparing them.

• 2 months later...

Only things I like about the Edge over MKX are,

-More storage compartment ; beneath the main console of the Edge is hallow like Volvo dashes.

-Knobs for stereo and climate; I find MKX's touch slide control very inaccurate, hard to use. I almost broke my ear drums playing with the slide control.

• 6 months later...

Over 50...mkx. 45 and under edge Sort AWD. 46-49 is anybodys guess. To me the looks of the edge sport iare are juat so much better than the lincoln. I'm apologize ahead of time to mkx owners but that front end is U G L Y. I'll give up a little luxury for style any day.

• 4 weeks later...

Both are great vehicles, the MKX does offer more standard features, plus options that are available, that you cannot get on the Edge. The MKX does use softer materials on the interior, less plastic, and in my opinion, seats, both front and rear, that are padded more. Either way, with which ever you choose, you will get a nice ride. :headspin:

Edited by JOEHIO

• 1 year later...

My mother in law purchased a 2013 MKX in November '12 and the new front end is beautiful. Me being more practical (at age 25) opted for the Edge sport. Her interior is a little higher class than mine, but not an overall noticeable difference. We have similar interior styling and I prefer the exterior of my Edge a little more. I did opt for the upgraded exterior package and have had tons of compliments on the Edge. I think it is a matter of preference and price point. She spent close to 20k more on her MKX for not much more than mine offers.

Her interior is a little higher class than mine, but not an overall noticeable difference.

If you don't think there's a noticeable difference then the MKX certainly isn't for you. Having owned both, I can say the MKX interior is much different with much nicer materials. Leather on the dash and console, fabric a-pillars, soft touch door sills, fantastic Bridge of Weir leather seats, carpet on the sides of the centre console, etc. Especially when optioned with the light stone (lighter dash and steering wheel) and the wood IMHO.

Can't wait to see what the new Black Label is going to get us with the MKX. I would love to have an alcantara headliner!

• 3 years later...

Also, it's more than cosmetic. There's differences throughout.

Mine 09 has stone and dark wood interior and platinum white exterior.

When anyone asks what I like about the car, I usually respond by saying "It's' a Lincoln". Then look at them like their stupid or something. :lol:

Edited by enigma-2

I'm 50 and always liked the look of the Lincoln over the basic Ford. I can understand some of the issues of the controls in the MK; the last one I looked into had a push button drive selector. I'm sure I would get used to it, but I'm old-fashioned when it comes to things like that.

As a side note, one Edge owner I talked to said the MKX was a lot more to insure.

• Like 1

I'm 58 and like my Edge Limited AWD. I suppose I could have bought and MKX but I just couldn't justify the additional cost for pretty much the same vehicle in a Ford. MKX's are nice tho!! For years my 90 year old mother-in-law drove the old style big boxy '94 Town Car Signature Series. Man, that monster weighed prolly 3000lbs and was about 15' long!! Like driving your couch. She's now in a Lexus GS. Go figure.

• Like 1

On the new generation MKX you get a lot more over the Edge than in previous generations. We bought a 2008 Edge because we liked the styling better and couldn't justify the added cost. We were ready to buy a 2016 Edge but bought a 2016 MKX because we actually could justify the added cost. The seats are much more comfortable, it's much quieter, the Revel sound system is much better, embedded modem with mobile app, it had a unique color (luxe metallic) that we liked, the center console is cleaner and the interior materials are nicer. Add to that the longer warranty and the fact that Lincoln picks up the vehicle and leaves a loaner any time we need service (maintenance or warranty work) and we liked the MKX styling just a tad better and for us it was worth the upgrade.

Of course that all depends on what you value. Nothing wrong with the Edge.

..and the MKX has a glove box light. I don't understand why Ford doesn't make that standard equipment in all vehicles. In my '98 Explorer I wired up a light with a push compression switch. Still working on how to get a permanent light in the Edge. I wonder if an MKX light could be retro'ed into an Edge.

EDIT: I spoke too soon. Found a thread about wiring up a light in the glove box.

Edited by chefduane
  • Like 1