Major Upgrade (Rewrite) Details

So if you'd only paid HALF that much do you think it would be ok? If somebody paid twice as much as you should they be twice as upset?

I paid significantly more than the average new vehicle price. I expect an above average vehicle.

I'd be upset if Ford wasn't attempting to fix it. It appears that not only are they attempting to fix it but they're improving it at the same time.

I've already wasted about half a dozen trips to the dealership to get updates that attempted to fix all the problems and I'm not much better off now than I was when I bought my Edge almost a year ago. Granted, I do have a little more faith that this new upgrade will be better, however the new information I found yesterday is a little concerning.

Who did the coding and the exact hardware details are moot as long as the product works and all indications are that it does. Until someone can prove that it doesn't it's silly to give yourselves a heart attack worrying about it.

By "all indications" are you referring to the Ford press release and handful of videos of the Ford display vehicle? Please forgive me if I'm a little bit skeptical. Also, the details are absolutely not moot if the demo videos we've seen were using systems running newer/faster hardware than what we have in our vehicles.

Dumb question but do you need to register with ford online with that whole Sync Support thing or is this just going to be them sending you the USB in the mail automatically?

My guess is that they will send it to everyone since syncmyride.com never asked for my mailing address. But I obviously can't say for sure.

I paid significantly more than the average new vehicle price. I expect an above average vehicle.

I would expect it to work whether it was a $10K car or a $50K car.

By "all indications" are you referring to the Ford press release and handful of videos of the Ford display vehicle? Please forgive me if I'm a little bit skeptical. Also, the details are absolutely not moot if the demo videos we've seen were using systems running newer/faster hardware than what we have in our vehicles.

No, I'm going by people who got actual demos a few weeks ago.

What good does it do to speculate and worry about it now? You can't change it - either it will work or it won't.

I just don't understand all the hand-wringing.

Dumb question but do you need to register with ford online with that whole Sync Support thing or is this just going to be them sending you the USB in the mail automatically?

I don't think so...Ford must have your address on file from the purchase paperwork for things like recalls etc. I don't think this would be any different.

Exactly my point. It may be they haven't made a hardware change but we really know nothing right now for sure other than the screens have changed.

No, I'm going by people who got actual demos a few weeks ago.

What good does it do to speculate and worry about it now? You can't change it - either it will work or it won't.

I just don't understand all the hand-wringing.

Again, if the demos were done on new hardware their experiences may not translate to the older systems. Unless these people you spoke to opened the system up and checked the CPU and other chips on the APIM we can't assume our existing units will perform the same.

As for all the "worrying", I am an engineer...I like to try to understand things. If you want to take my interest in understanding this system and the changes they made/may have made as worrying that is your issue not mine.

What I don't understand is why you continually try to squash any conversations about MFT functionality. All we are doing is trying to discuss what little information we can find on the web regarding these changes. Everything that was posted in the last week has been contrary to what we believed was being done, so with continued searching maybe someone will actually find out something definitive. Or maybe we'll never know, but I don't see the harm in trying to find out more.

What I don't understand is why you continually try to squash any conversations about MFT functionality. All we are doing is trying to discuss what little information we can find on the web regarding these changes. Everything that was posted in the last week has been contrary to what we believed was being done, so with continued searching maybe someone will actually find out something definitive. Or maybe we'll never know, but I don't see the harm in trying to find out more.

I've come to the realization a long time ago that people who don't drive a MyFord Touch car, have no way of relating to our emotions over this.

Well I am feeling a bit better. These two articles, one at gottabemobile.com and the other at siliconfilter.com specifically mention that the hardware is the same. So hopefully CNET just made an error in reporting the model of the CPU in their article.

See - that's my point. You're getting all worked up about speculation about what is or isn't there or who's doing what. Whether they changed processors or not or who got contracted to do the development or whether they're using Flash or not really has no bearing on whether the final product works or not. But if you want to give yourself an ulcer about it then go ahead. Just don't keep repeating the same thing here over and over.

Most of the folks with the 2.11 upgrade say response time is adequate - and that's with the current hardware and crappy code. There's no reason to believe a few software enhancements and pushing more work to the hardware wouldn't easily solve any remaining lag issues.

If it comes out and still doesn't work properly then I'll be the first to criticize them. But that's not going to happen for another couple of months.

See - that's my point. You're getting all worked up about speculation about what is or isn't there or who's doing what. Whether they changed processors or not or who got contracted to do the development or whether they're using Flash or not really has no bearing on whether the final product works or not. But if you want to give yourself an ulcer about it then go ahead. Just don't keep repeating the same thing here over and over.

Most of the folks with the 2.11 upgrade say response time is adequate - and that's with the current hardware and crappy code. There's no reason to believe a few software enhancements and pushing more work to the hardware wouldn't easily solve any remaining lag issues.

If it comes out and still doesn't work properly then I'll be the first to criticize them. But that's not going to happen for another couple of months.

+1

Sid's cheap software programing emporium, could have programmed this 1000 ways from Sunday and still came up with a fantastic result. The process to get there isn't really important as long as the deliverable is what we expect. Its software, I'm 99% sure it will have bugs too. Tell me a program that doesn't. I'm excited about this, they could have just made it available in 2013 vehicles. Hey, Windows Vista was slow and crashed constantly, but people who bought it didn't get a free upgrade to Windows 7 just because it sucked!

As far as the press releases go, I honestly think Ford is downplaying the new release so we're presently surprised. If they boost it too much and don't deliver, they'll have a mob on their hands.

Everyone, just sit back, grab a beer and wait for the package to show up. Its all just speculation until then.:beerchug:

Wish list of fixes for Major Upgrade Rewrite

1. Faster interface

2. New POI Updates for the GPS

3. Read SMS from Iphone 4X

4. Fix compatibility for different access points, as right now its pointless to have the AP in the car since it doesn't connect to most routers anyway.

5. Add compatibility to usb rocket stick or internet usb stick as of now I haven't seen an internet usb stick model in Canada that works.

6. Faster loading time for the GPS. ( When starting the car it takes a long time to load)

7. Weather and Traffice report.

8. Support for sending map Directions from Google maps to navigation system.( Currently this is only supported in the US)

1. Faster interface

4. Fix compatibility for different access points, as right now its pointless to have the AP in the car since it doesn't connect to most routers anyway.

5. Add compatibility to usb rocket stick or internet usb stick as of now I haven't seen an internet usb stick model in Canada that works.

6. Faster loading time for the GPS. ( When starting the car it takes a long time to load)

8. Support for sending map Directions from Google maps to navigation system.( Currently this is only supported in the US)

I just wish Ford gave a shit about Canada. It's obvious they don't when it comes to all things Sync.

That's a limitation of iOS, not sync. Sync has supported SMS text messages since 2008. iOS doesn't support the right Bluetooth profile yet (unless that was fixed in iOS 5)

Done. The system no longer has to reboot when you start the car. It just hibernates and then wakes up. Should be a lot faster.

I just wish Ford gave a shit about Canada. It's obvious they don't when it comes to all things Sync.

My understanding is that there are technical satellite limitations and regulatory issues preventing sync services in Canada - not a marketing decision.

I've come to the realization a long time ago that people who don't drive a MyFord Touch car, have no way of relating to our emotions over this.

+1 If you don't have to deal with MFT issues please don't tell us how we should feel.

And I continue to point out - not everyone who uses MFT is unhappy and yet, people continue to try to lump everyone in the unhappy category.

Ford doesn't have employees who go all around the US and write down gas prices or check the weather. They buy the info from other services. If those services were available in Canada Ford would buy them. If you want the services, start your own company and sell the data to Ford, after you get CRTC approval.

And I continue to point out - not everyone who uses MFT is unhappy and yet, people continue to try to lump everyone in the unhappy category.

I made no reference to the unhappy category.

..."people who don't drive a MyFord Touch car, have no way of relating to our emotions over this" (unhappy AND/OR unhappy)

Taking that one step further;

Unhappy MFT owners can't relate to happy owners and vice versa.

14 months with MY MFT has cultivated a great deal of frustration.

1. Faster interface

most of all, I just wish that the audio sources would not switch randomly. It's very distracting to try to correct the audio source while driving.

The Ford PR touches on the improved screens and the Navigation. There is no mention the other bugs.

At one point, someone said that Ford had a list of 2000+ bugs they were working on. I wonder how many are resolved.

The fact Ford's shiny press releases and other PR spin is silent (along with no communication directly with current owners) tell me that they are focused on the re skinning process and the bugs will be worked on "as able." Bug hunting is a tedious and time consuming process. There are literally a ton of bugs in this software and they are (hopefully) prioritizing and addressing them but likely not all in this new release.

I know there are many out there who may not have experienced much in the way of bugs and others that simply ignore them which is fine. The folks who take the time to sign on to these forums clearly aren't thrilled with this software.

Like many on these boards, I've really been surprised that Ford has taken a turtle-like approach to the issue. Its apparent that Ford elected to not bring into the company someone who is versed in addressing software. Such a person would communicate with the customer base (via blogs/syncmyride/email) as well as taking a public position in attacking the issue. The PR value alone in such a move would've calmed many of us down. Instead, there was a wall of silence, poor communication with the dealerships (who've taken tons of heat for this debacle) and sporadic success in dealing with the initial issues (judging from my car).

Many of us came to Ford from foreign vehicles. Ours is a Honda/Acura and BMW household for example. The latest versions of Honda and Acura have software which does much of what Sync can do and it has few if any bugs that I can find. BMW didn't really attempt something this ambitious yet though their software does quite a bit (yea IDrive kinda sucks). There is no way in the world Honda (for example) would've allowed something like this to get past the protype stage, much less power most of their high trim line vehicles.

We wasted tons of time at dealerships (my car's been in the shop for over a month in my first year of ownership) and many of the bugs I noticed the first day are still present. California's Lemon Law now seems to be a possibility for me if this mess isn't sorted and soon. I'd rather not waste even more time dealing with this issue but I refuse to accept that I should just "deal with" these kinds of issues in a $40,000 vehicle.

I feel Ford has been very responsive to the customers needs. 2.11 doesn't fix everything but it's a vast improvement over the 1.8 or whatever it was back in October of 2010. I was given free oil changes and tire rotations for 45000 miles or 3 years at no charge for my troubles. This offer came straight from corporate not my dealership

The fact Ford's shiny press releases and other PR spin is silent (along with no communication directly with current owners) tell me that they are focused on the re skinning process and the bugs will be worked on "as able." Bug hunting is a tedious and time consuming process. There are literally a ton of bugs in this software and they are (hopefully) prioritizing and addressing them but likely not all in this new release.

I don't see how you can make that assumption. I believe the underlying software was rewritten due to the extent of the bugs.

Like many on these boards, I've really been surprised that Ford has taken a turtle-like approach to the issue.

That's a ridiculous statement. Ford totally screwed up but they've been putting forth a huge effort to get it fixed, starting with at least 6 new software releases in less than a year and a totally new version in just over a year including bringing in Microsoft. You can't rewrite complicated software like this in a month or two - it takes at least 6 months and sometimes longer.

I realize owners with problems are not happy and want to vent but let's keep it accurate.

I feel Ford has been very responsive to the customers needs. 2.11 doesn't fix everything but it's a vast improvement over the 1.8 or whatever it was back in October of 2010. I was given free oil changes and tire rotations for 45000 miles or 3 years at no charge for my troubles. This offer came straight from corporate not my dealership

Ford hasn't done anything for me.

How do I get the free oil changes and rotations?