My Ford Touch New Software Release

I checked the My Sync site after reading that one of the posters here was notified that an update was available. In the owner preferences I had checked Notify by email when updates are available, but I never received an email.

Yesterday I checked the Sync site and it had a notification there that I had an update (running 3.2.2 right now). Since I have Nav, I had to fill out a form in order to have a new SD card sent to me. This was yesterday 1-16-2013 at about 12:15PM.

I just got the new A-4 SD card delivered to me today about 45 minutes ago! Just the unopened package containing the A-4 card. No instructions about the new update, no instructions about if I can use the new card without doing the update, etc.

I'll wait a bit and see what others who receive the new card do, have the dealer install the update or DIY. I had done the 3.2.2 myself but may just have the dealer do this one.

I also ordered my A4 SD card yesterday and got it in the mail today. But I can't seem to get the update to download to my USB off the computer. May have something to do with my work computer so I will try later on my home computer. How long do these updates take to download in the vehicle usually? I haven't had any problems with my current software so hopefully this new software doesn't cause alot of problems for me.

I also ordered my A4 SD card yesterday and got it in the mail today. But I can't seem to get the update to download to my USB off the computer. May have something to do with my work computer so I will try later on my home computer. How long do these updates take to download in the vehicle usually? I haven't had any problems with my current software so hopefully this new software doesn't cause alot of problems for me.

When I first tried downloading the 3.2.2 update onto a USB, I had all kinds of problems. It turned out that the computer was blocking the download until I checked a box to allow it. Something with my settings and I wasn't seeing the notification box come up asking for downloading permission.

The last update I did took about 30 minutes or so. First time I had ever done anything like that, and actually had a few scarey moments when the screen would go black for a minute or two during the update. I did not do any type of reboot or master reset then like I have heard mentioned to make sure you do with this latest update, before and after the install?

I ordered my card, received it the next day and installed the update on my drive home from work last night. I was previously on 3.2.2. Install took approx 45 mins, prior to the update I removed the old nav card (a3) and USB (with my music). I performed a master reset (to be on the safe side) then inserted the Usb with the update. Drove home (approx 45 mins) install completed (there were 3 reboots during install), I did a new master reset after the update, and inserted the NAV (a4). System is working and appears to be working normally. Entering nav destinations seems faster, GPS lock after parking indoors(garage) seems to take longer (1-2 mins) Indexing my USB music approx 1700 songs took 3 mins for indexing and building media commands.

Overall not much changed but only time will tell. I have a very early 2011 edge (I got it in Oct 2010)

I received my A4 card Thursday after ordering it Tuesday night; impressive!

Downloaded the code last night to a USB. The process took about an hour; talk about slow servers!

Installation today. I stopped to eat after attending the New England Auto Show. When I came out of the restaurant I started the process and once it started, drove home.

Note, you'll possibly go through four total reboots. Also, step one took several mintues plus a reboot before and after, step six maybe five minutes then a reboot and finally, a screen stating installing patches or something similiar and the process may take twenty minutes. I spent about seven minutes riding around in slience. Finally, the radio starts playing your last station, AM or FM, pops a screen and a voice tells you process completed, but don't take out your USB drive until the final message appears. The voice tells you to go to SMR and run the link to update your installation history after inserting your USB in your system.

OK, paired my phone no problem. However, lost my Nav favorites AGAIN. My last upgrade I never lost my Nav Favorites. I sure wish they'd write a backup routine.

I did find a few changes or surprises while re-entering my Nav favorites. When changing the state from my home state of Mass, I ran into trouble. I could not change the state UNLESS I selected the numeric value next to the state textbox and scrolled to change the state. Ok, I can live with the change. Next, minor problem, entering a numeric value on a street. I found a couple of cases when the most of the keyboad's grayed out. I simply selected the street name textbox then went back to street number.

I'm used to "experimenting" with software because my jobs in software support and I write diagnostic software. We just get used to "playing".

I hope the info helps people on the fence; do I install my own software or head to the dealer.

• Like 1

New maps, better interface for entering addresses, better voice recognition plus a few other things.

Is there a listing of, or definations of the "better interface for entering addresses"? I am looking for an explanation of what to do differently now compared to the previous update to enter addresses?

Apologies if this is answered in an obvious place, but have been unable to find in my searching.

Thanks

Is there a listing of, or definations of the "better interface for entering addresses"? I am looking for an explanation of what to do differently now compared to the previous update to enter addresses?

Apologies if this is answered in an obvious place, but have been unable to find in my searching.

Thanks

I don't recall seeing specifics. I assume it was just a change to the menu structure and/or order of inputs.

When I signed into the SMR and checked updates, there was a link to check to order the A4 card. Mine was delivered the next day. If you can't find the link, try calling your dealer and see if they have one in stock. They are provided free of charge and you should show you have not been sent one.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I had the same issue since the last 2-3 MFT updates. When I turn the key to ignition, I have to wait until I see the full MFT screen and the radio to come on before launching the engine. If not, the radio will stay off and the only way to turn it back on, is to stop the engine, remove the key from ignition and open the door to cut power to the accessories, then redo the start sequence.

Also, most of the time, the radio is "frozen" on the station it was on before cutting off the engine. So even if I pressed any button from the welcome screen of MFT or from the steering wheel controls, the radio station doesn't change. The only way to change that is by pressing the Entertainment tab on MFT to go to the full radio menu and switch back and forth between fm and Sirius to unfreeze the radio stations. Then, the radio will very briefly go through all of the pre-programmed station buttons I would have previously pressed (like going through the memory buffer of a frozen keyboard).