Wheels... please tell me he was wrong!

PhillyAnt

Today I made the wonderful mistake of getting too close to the curb and I slowly scraped my wheel. I have the 2012 MKX with the upgraded 20" wheels. I rubbed up just enough to completely crack the plastic off on the edge. No damage done to the actual wheel itself and the tire could just be cleaned off. I called my dealer to find out what it would cost me to get the plastic chrome replaced as it looks like its something that can just be pulled off and a new one put on. They told me that they dont do that and I would have to pay around $1100 including labor to get an entirely new wheel. Are you kidding me? Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with this? Why would they make a fake chrome plastic cover on these wheels if they cant be replaced? What is the object of it? Please someone tell me the dealer is incorrect. This MKX is only 4 months old and I can't drive it around looking like this. I also dont have $1100 to spend. If these wheels were actual chromed metal then I could just polish it out and hide the damage. Unfortunately its plastic and I can't.

First Im dealing with the MFT issues. Now this :(

post-19426-0-62848600-1330559323_thumb.jpg

post-19426-0-25241200-1330559354_thumb.jpg

Today I made the wonderful mistake of getting too close to the curb and I slowly scraped my wheel. I have the 2012 MKX with the upgraded 20" wheels. I rubbed up just enough to completely crack the plastic off on the edge. No damage done to the actual wheel itself and the tire could just be cleaned off. I called my dealer to find out what it would cost me to get the plastic chrome replaced as it looks like its something that can just be pulled off and a new one put on. They told me that they dont do that and I would have to pay around $1100 including labor to get an entirely new wheel. Are you kidding me? Is this true? Does anyone have any experience with this? Why would they make a fake chrome plastic cover on these wheels if they cant be replaced? What is the object of it? Please someone tell me the dealer is incorrect. This MKX is only 4 months old and I can't drive it around looking like this. I also dont have $1100 to spend. If these wheels were actual chromed metal then I could just polish it out and hide the damage. Unfortunately its plastic and I can't.

First Im dealing with the MFT issues. Now this :(

post-19426-0-62848600-1330559323_thumb.jpg

post-19426-0-25241200-1330559354_thumb.jpg

LOOK HERE:

http://www.hubcaphaven.com/mkx_wheels.htm

Ouch! You’re not the first to do that. Search this site and you’ll find others who have done the same. I’m not sure on the price for a replacement, but I haven’t seen any posts saying they’ve found someone to replace the chrome clading, or repair it for that matter. Yikes!

to buy factory wheels you're gonna be out some SERIOUS money!!!

i had to replace a set of sport rims a few months back for a customer under warranty. The cost was over 6500 dollars!!! Ford's markup on rims is HIGH! but alot of that is due to the price they are sold at when a vehicle is ordered. your 20" wheel option upgrade was probably only 1,000 to 1,500 dollars when the vehicle was ordered. so Ford marks them up to offset the loss from ordered vehicles.

I have a hard time believing Lincoln would use any plastic on wheels. I could be wrong though.

They're chrome plated plastic. I'm sure it's cheaper but it's also lighter (a big consideration with 20s or 22s) and they won't pit over time. The down side is they can't easily be repaired.

Are the 22's on the sport cleared on the chrome or straight chrome? Asking for detailing purposes as I see a lot of scratches in them.

Never mind I see they are cleared.

But OP if I were you I'd see about buying one off that site instead of paying full price.

Edited by c_bova

Are the 22's on the sport cleared on the chrome or straight chrome? Asking for detailing purposes as I see a lot of scratches in them.

But OP if I were you I'd see about buying one off that site instead of paying full price.

Its just so frustrating. Why the heck would they make them with plastic and then make it so they couldn't be repaired. It only makes sense that you would be able to pop the old one off and put a new one on. Why use plastic?

Anyway, I called my insurance and they said I could make a claim under my collision and just pay my $200 deductible. Not sure if I want to do it though because my record is clean as I have never made a claim. And whats to say that after I fix it, I make the same stupid mistake.

What REALLY got to me was the saleperson I purchased the vehicle from kinda mocked me saying I should have spent the $500 and got their wheel protection plan. I thought it was only for flats. He just told me that any damage to the wheel is covered and they will replace it. Now im super pissed.

Its just so frustrating. Why the heck would they make them with plastic and then make it so they couldn't be repaired. It only makes sense that you would be able to pop the old one off and put a new one on. Why use plastic?

Anyway, I called my insurance and they said I could make a claim under my collision and just pay my $200 deductible. Not sure if I want to do it though because my record is clean as I have never made a claim. And whats to say that after I fix it, I make the same stupid mistake.

What REALLY got to me was the saleperson I purchased the vehicle from kinda mocked me saying I should have spent the $500 and got their wheel protection plan. I thought it was only for flats. He just told me that any damage to the wheel is covered and they will replace it. Now im super pissed.

I don't know why they aren't replaceable but the reason they switched to plastic is because it's much lighter than a steel chromed wheel and it won't pit over time like real chrome. I'm sure someone will figure out how to replace/repair them since Ford is not the only mfr going this route. Until then it sucks.

i researched chrome clad and I think why the dealer says they can't just replace the cladding is because it is glued or somehow adhered to the wheel and not just snapped in place like a hub cap.

but i did look on ebay for you as konabluesport said and it looks like you can get a replacement wheel for $300.

Edited by c_bova

What REALLY got to me was the salesperson I purchased the vehicle from kinda mocked me saying I should have spent the $500 and got their wheel protection plan. I thought it was only for flats. He just told me that any damage to the wheel is covered and they will replace it. Now I'm super pissed.

Your premiums will not change on a collision claim. After you replace the wheel get the wheel protection plan or you can file another collision claim and still be ahead $100.00

• 1 month later...

I bet it doesn't cover it. They will tell you all day long that things like that are covered if you didn't purchase the plan but had you purchased the plan they would just chuckle at you if you brought it in for a curb rash claim. Personally, I don't like those wheels and don't want to drive anything around with chromed plastic on the wheels. Thank goodness I got the sport and not the mkx. I was certainly thinking about it because of the ventilated seats. I would go on tire rack if I were in your situation and find some much better looking wheels that are not so crazy expensive to repair or replace. Keep the three good ones and get some of your money back by selling then to others who are in your position now. You"ll prob end up even in the long run with a better set of wheels with no plastic on them! Plus your MKX won't look like everyone else's in town.

Edited by Cdpratt69

• 3 months later...

A chrome clad steel wheel is not going to weigh less than a true chrome wheel. A true chrome wheel is aluminum underneath and will always weight less than a steel wheel. The reason they did the chrome clad was for cost purposes only. Most people go in to the dealer and go oh I want those chrome rims, not realizing they are plastic covers. They charge a premium for the replacements, because the insurance will pay it and people will pay it. But the rim most likely should only cost around 200 bucks.

• 6 months later...

Wrong again. Chrome just means chrome plated. Actual chrome is clear the silver is zinc underneath. They're not all aluminum, either. Ask the 60s and 70s.

Ford did it for weight and corrosion resistance, not cost. Chrome plated steel with electroplating would obviously cost less than the same steel wheel with a molded plastic skim that's vacuum plated.

The wheels actually are clear powder coated. That just makes it that much more difficult to repair.

I know this is an old thread, but before we go too far, the chrome-clad wheels on the Edge and MKX are not steel, they are aluminum wheels with plastic covers glued on. They are not significantly lighter than chrome aluminum wheels but they do have better corrosion resistance and they cost much less.

Wrong again. Chrome just means chrome plated. Actual chrome is clear the silver is zinc underneath. They're not all aluminum, either. Ask the 60s and 70s.

Ford did it for weight and corrosion resistance, not cost. Chrome plated steel with electroplating would obviously cost less than the same steel wheel with a molded plastic skim that's vacuum plated.

sorry Dingo this another spot you are wrong in, yes in the older days the did chrome dip steel, but today's modern vehicles are aluminum rims that are chrome plated on the front. Then you have the chrome clad that are aluminum rims as well with plastic chrome covers. If you would really like to bet on this we could, I would win this bet everyday, all day. Just take a trip to your local scrap yard and ask them about the rims or any rim shop and they will tell you. You really post a lot on here and some of your posts are truthful, but a lot are misleading and full of false information. I suggest you do your research before commenting on certain threads.

I know this is an old thread, but before we go too far, the chrome-clad wheels on the Edge and MKX are not steel, they are aluminum wheels with plastic covers glued on. They are not significantly lighter than chrome aluminum wheels but they do have better corrosion resistance and they cost much less.
they wouldn't be lighter by any means from each other, they are both however lighter than a steel wheel of the same size for the same vehicle. It would need to meet the needs of the vehicle, a truck would obviously need a larger stronger wheel than a fiesta would.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...