Ideal Tire Pressure Ford Edge 2011

taal2020

There is no ideal pressure. The ideal pressure is different for everybody and their unique driving conditions.

Higher pressures will give you better mileage and often better steering response. But higher pressures will cause uneven wear, they will make the ride harsh and they will reduce the amount of grip which increases the stopping distance and makes the vehicle less capable in emergency handling maneuvers. Too high a pressure (above the max rating on the sidewall) can cause tire failure.

Lower tire pressure have generally the opposite effects as those above. However most people don't consider the load capacity of the tire. As pressure goes down, the load capacity also goes down. Once you exceed the load capacity, you run the risk of tire failure. Since OEMs don't specifically call out the lower limit of the load capacity of the tire, one must assume that the OEM tire pressure is the lowest you can safely go. Running anything below the recommended pressure is a safety risk. Running your Edge at 30psi around the city in reasonable weather is probably fine, but running it at 30psi while driving across Arizona in the summer with a family and full load of luggage would be pushing too close to the limit for my comfort.

From my experience, it's best to go by the tire. I have the Michelons on my Edge. MAX cold PSI is 44. So When they are cold, I fill between 38 and 40 PSI. I find the shape of the tire is best at this rating, it sits nicely on the ground, and the ride is better than lower pressures. I do not drive super aggressively, and I have about 37,000 on the car with a pretty generous amount of tread left (original tires).

Make sure to Rotate regularly.

Start with the recommended pressure. If driving with a full load while pulling a trailer, then add several lbs. If driving over 90 mph for an extended period add a few lbs. But the recommended pressure, around 35 lbs is recommended for normal use. Don't run lower pressure than 35 lbs.

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now I'm at 39psi since my tires day max is 44psi. Just to get rid of the howling at certain hover mph.lol

I rotated the tires to see if I could quiet them. It's worse now. Lol. Turns out, performance ties that are directional are notorious for boar due to the tie grip pattern wearing at the edge causing the howling.

Edited by 2011edgese