13N02 - Extended Warranty Coverage on Brake Booster

omar302

I have a 2009 Ford Edge. The brake boosters failed. I was told that newer Ford Edge models have had the warranty extended on this to cover the costs. I have read on the Internet that as far back as 2007 people have had trouble with the brake boosters failing. I contacted Ford and they documented my concern that it has not been recalled for the 2009 Edge. They said that they need to get a certain number of complaints before a recall is started. So, you must call Ford at 1-800-392-3673 to report this problem. I kept pressing the numbers that got me to a live Ford customer service representative. Let's do our part to get this safety issue resolved.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Like so many others my 2010 Edge had a bad booster. I took it to the dealer but my vin# was not covered, the Ford motor company confirmed the same. I paid the $60 diagnostic fee and took the car home. I just couldn't justify paying $700.00 to remove 4 nuts near the brake pedal and a few nuts holding the master cylinder... or so I thought. What I didn't realize was that I would need to remove the battery, battery tray, wiper blades, black vent cover at the bottom of the windshield and loosen wiper catch tray so that I could raise the tray enough to get an extra 4 to 6 inches of clearance. Removing and installing the booster is tight but with the wiper catch tray loose it's manageable. It's not complicated or hard, its just a lot of screws. Keep in mind, you don't need to unbolt the wiper motor and linkage, just the black plastic catch tray. One other thing, in the instructions they tell you to first remove the switch that controls the brake lights, I didn't. Bad Idea. I broke the switch, my brake lights never turned off and the brakes dragged. Sooooooo, back to the dealer to picked up brake switch SW-6559 8T4Z-13480-A . Total cost ...$59.95 for the diagnostic, $149.99 for the booster and $50.66 for the switch I needlessly broke...I still saved enough to buy new tires. I Hope this helps.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Our 2012 Edge just starting having the issue with having to press very hard on the brake to get it to stop. It's happened 4 times in the last month. No issues till now since we got it in May 2014. Has under 32K miles. Took it to my Ford dealer last night. They were aware of the problem. New booster to be installed. I have epp with $50 deductible but this should be free according to what I have read on this site. I am a new member and this is my first post.

Picked up our Edge last night from the dealer. All items on 13N02 were performed. No charge. Everything feel great now. If anyone is looking for Ford Service in western Ohio or eastern Indiana I would highly recommend Buckeye Ford in Sidney, Ohio. I have never purchased a vehicle from this dealership but have used them for warranty service on my 2008 F-150 as well as all service on our 2012 Edge SEL. This is a high quality service department which has meet or exceeded my expectation on every visit.

• Like 1

Picked up our Edge last night from the dealer. All items on 13N02 were performed. No charge. Everything feel great now. If anyone is looking for Ford Service in western Ohio or eastern Indiana I would highly recommend Buckeye Ford in Sidney, Ohio. I have never purchased a vehicle from this dealership but have used them for warranty service on my 2008 F-150 as well as all service on our 2012 Edge SEL. This is a high quality service department which has meet or exceeded my expectation on every visit.

Hi stan2929,

I'll be happy to document your feedback for Buckeye Ford. Just private message me your full name and phone number. :)Thrilled to hear what a great service you had.

Meagan

I have a 2010 Ford Edge that we purchased on May 8, 2010. I am experiencing this same problem but the dealer says Ford wont cover me because build date was earlier than in the 13N02 letter. Seems kind of random that I experience the same problem but because mine was built earlier - no coverage. All customers should be treated the same.

• 4 weeks later...

For those that say the brake booster failure in NOT a safety issue please read.

My 15yr old on a learner's permit was driving. Sitting at light for some time and brake starts makeing hissing noise under dash. Car lunged forward. Son says I've got pedal to floor! Fortunately he was smart enough to press the emergency brake before we were fully into oncoming traffic. Calling dealer tomorrow to determine how to proceed but sadly someone will be killed because of this mfg defect if they haven't already. If you pump brakes it's like old school manual brakes. Hold the pedal any time and it goes to floor and....

• 1 month later...

I was driving down the road and was coming to a stop sign by our local elementary school. The brakes felt like they were not working and that I was not going to stop! the only way I could get it to stop was to push very hard. Thank the good lord that I didn't have to stop on a dime for a child walking across the school! After reviewing many complaints, it sounds as though this is a known problem, (brake booster) and Ford needs to have a recall on this. i am being giving a big deal of runaround from ford dealer now that i have a problem comparing when i went to them and purchased to vehicles, the service i am receiving is low grade :gaah:

• 1 month later...

We bought our Edge new in May 2010. We were impressed with the initial quality and ride of this vehicle. However, as no surprise to me, problems started occurring. There was a recall on the transmission, issues with the front seats, beginning of last year a rear bearing became noisy, last fall the air conditioning lost its charge and now a recall for the fuel tank. The most recent problem started this past February with the brake pedal, similar to what others have described. The initial press of the pedal was normal and the car would slow, however if I released the pedal and immediately pressed it again it would be hard and take considerable effort to move it. At the same time I would hear a hissing sound as others have described and the pedal would soften. This weekend the issue has become more of a problem wherein the pedal on initial press is more difficult and the same noise is heard.

I was told that there was a program to fix this and I found mention of this Ford bulletin on the internet. I called Ford customer service twice this morning to tell them about my problem and both reps told me the same thing .... my VIN was not included in this bulletin! Ford will not cover the cost of replacement ... even though it's the same problem as with those vehicles that are covered ... but they did record what I had described to them and told me that sometimes recalls are initiated if problems come to light. Keep my receipt they told me in case this happens. This will be a $500 repair.

As of this weekend the car has approximately 148,500 km (92,200 miles).

Like another poster said, I wonder what is next.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Today I just bring my car to the local dealer for power brake booster issue and after basic checking they told me that spare part(power brake booster) is free of charge but because you didn't buy this car from us and you bought it from another dealer thus we will charge you for $75 for repairing.

Dear Mohamed,

The dealer is trying to cheat you. You should make a complaint to the consumer protection agency in your country or call Ford Middle East in Dubai.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is that booster warrenty extension coverd for an 08... My booster just went out on my edge..

As per the TSB:

Certain 2010-2013 model year Edge and MKX vehicles built at the Oakville Assembly Plant from May 3, 2010 through March 28, 2013. Affected vehicles are identified in OASIS.

So the 2008 model would not be covered by this TSB.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...