Gas Gauge question

txmom

I have a 2013 Edge SEL with just under 2k miles on it. I have filled the tank many times, usually filling from 1/4 tank and not had any issues. The weather here this week has been bad so I didnt get to fill up at 1/4 tank and the low fuel warning came on yesterday. I went about 5 miles after it came on and filled up. I noticed when I got in and started it, after the gas pump clicking off like it was full, that it only showed 3/4 of a tank and 256 mi to E. I didnt feel like getting back out and putting my card in etc to get the last 1/4 so I went on. As I pull out of the gas station the gauge then bumped up to between 3/4 and full, with the 256 mi to E staying the same. I drove another 3 miles or so and it then went all the way to full and over 300 mi to E. I have never had this happen before and wonder if it is a normal occurance or if I should put a call in to the dealership.

Thanks in advance!

April

You should definitely put a call into the dealership. This is not an uncommon problem. They may have to drop the fuel tank to access the pump/sender for a fix.

As far as Miles to Empty, that is based on the last MPG before fillup. What MPG did it say you were getting?

Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W

I have a 2013 Edge SEL with just under 2k miles on it. I have filled the tank many times, usually filling from 1/4 tank and not had any issues. The weather here this week has been bad so I didnt get to fill up at 1/4 tank and the low fuel warning came on yesterday. I went about 5 miles after it came on and filled up. I noticed when I got in and started it, after the gas pump clicking off like it was full, that it only showed 3/4 of a tank and 256 mi to E. I didnt feel like getting back out and putting my card in etc to get the last 1/4 so I went on. As I pull out of the gas station the gauge then bumped up to between 3/4 and full, with the 256 mi to E staying the same. I drove another 3 miles or so and it then went all the way to full and over 300 mi to E. I have never had this happen before and wonder if it is a normal occurance or if I should put a call in to the dealership.

Hi April,

I'd like to connect you with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to come to a swift resolution. Please send me a PM (private message) with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, and servicing dealership.

Todd

Whenever I fill my 2013, I have always had to squeeze in the last 3 gallons or so after the automatic pump kicks off. There have been posts made about maybe a vent tube being blocked (even from the factory) but no one has ever shown where this vent tube is, or how to clean it out.

I'm at 26000 miles and 19 months of ownership. I have filled up at dozens of different stations and have never had the pump not kick off with room for about 3 more gallons.

Once filled, I always show 400+ miles to empty. I usually average between 22 and 23 per gallon. I check the dash display each time before refilling to see how much fuel was used. I always end up putting in within .5 gallons of what that says.

Ive never seen it say that much mileage to empty.

I usually get right around 400 miles before refueling. On average, I put in between 16 and17 gallons or so. I have in the past gone 460 miles before refueling. That was on a tank of gasoline with no ethanol driving back from Oklahoma to Dallas.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had this problem since day one. I thought I had it fixed one but I didn't. I can always get 3 plus gallons in after pump clicks off. If I don't add these gallons the fuel gauge won't make to the full mark. Also after filling it will show around 380 miles to empty. Had it to dealer once for this and that was a complete waste of time. Their response was "can't duplicate customer concerns". The only way they could "duplicate my concerns" would be to try to fill the tank which they didn't do.

Whenever I fill my 2013, I have always had to squeeze in the last 3 gallons or so after the automatic pump kicks off. There have been posts made about maybe a vent tube being blocked (even from the factory) but no one has ever shown where this vent tube is, or how to clean it out.

I'm at 26000 miles and 19 months of ownership. I have filled up at dozens of different stations and have never had the pump not kick off with room for about 3 more gallons.

Once filled, I always show 400+ miles to empty. I usually average between 22 and 23 per gallon. I check the dash display each time before refilling to see how much fuel was used. I always end up putting in within .5 gallons of what that says.

I have had this problem since day one. I thought I had it fixed one but I didn't. I can always get 3 plus gallons in after pump clicks off. If I don't add these gallons the fuel gauge won't make to the full mark. Also after filling it will show around 380 miles to empty. Had it to dealer once for this and that was a complete waste of time. Their response was "can't duplicate customer concerns". The only way they could "duplicate my concerns" would be to try to fill the tank which they didn't do.

I'd like to put you in touch with with your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to come to a swift resolution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage and servicing dealership.

Todd

Just a quick side note. I said in one of my previous posts here that I don't want my selling dealer touching my car unless absolutely necessary. They don't sell the Ford ESP plan, they don't use Motorcraft synthetic blend oil for the Works Package, etc. Just got a service flyer from them making their oil change look like the Works, for only $29.95.

It includes top off fluids, multi-point safety inspection (just like the Works) BUT includes up to 5 quarts of CONVENTIONAL oil and NO tire rotation.

I just read that a Ford dealership here in the metroplex just opened the 400th Ford Quick Lane service facility.

Wonder if my selling dealership is ever going to sign on with Ford for any services, or continue to be basically independent and try to make more money with lesser services for the owners of Ford vehicles. I have used a different dealer providing genuine Ford Works Packages and prices using the correct oil when I haven't been able to change the oil myself.

I came here to ask roughly the same question. Its only happened to me twice now since getting the car, I filled it this evening put $57 into the car (so I know its a full tank) and pulled off, started driving and noticed the tank only read half and the KM to empty was around 300. It took its sweet ass time to get to full, a lot slower then before too. The KM to empty revised even slower and when I got home it read 566 to E rather then just under 600 (a full tank gets me around 628 km to E.)

The previous time happened sometime last year. I came here to ask but I see someone else also has the same problems only more common then me. So I will phone up the dealership tomorrow and see what goes on from there.

KM to empty or miles to empty is based on the last calculated KMPGs or MPGs before fillup. At least, that is the way it is supposed to work.

Out of curiousity, have you used the same gas station all this time, or do you frequently change gas stations? Are they busy gas stations? If so, the fuel tanks should get good turnover. Ethanol in your fuel, or pure gasoline?

I had read before on this forum that purging the fuel vent lines (not sure how exactly it was done) has helped resolve this problem.