What Edge Trim Level Did You Choose and Why

carjock

OK, so the Ford Edge is made in the SE, SEL, Limited, and Sport trims, and there is a lot to consider when actually going to purchase one. To me, the SE is the entry level trim (a great value), the SEL is the mid-kevel choice, the Limited is the Luxury version, and the Sport is the really sporty, more powerful version. I evaluated and drove all trim levels and learned that there are many good things about all choices, and some things that I didn't like about some models. After a lot of head scratching, I found that (in my opinion) the SEL model has the most "moldable" option list of any of the other trims. I bought a loaded one with almost every option available, which put the MSRP up above a loaded Limited. and very close to a MKX! But, I got all the goodies that I wanted (and some I could have done without) without the overload of chrome and fake wood of the Limited or the hard ride and oversize wheels of the Sport. Nothing at all against either of those trims, it's just that I found the SEL easy to be made into a car that resembles the Sport, has that monochromatic (de-chromed) look that looks, drives and performs exceptionally well with packages that make it very easy to put together, and in my opinion is absolutely beautiful (of course the ruby red paint doesn't hurt the appearance).

How do others feel about the available trim levels, and how would you put one together? It's an interesting topic that really brings out the differences people look for in cars!

I just bought a 2014 Limited in White Platinum with the 301A package (Driver Entry and Vision) and the Sienna leather. I didn't want the panoramic sunroof and didn't need the tow package. I also added the voice navigation separately since it was part of the Canadian Touring package, and I just went with the standard 18" wheels. I can't wait to pick it up but it's going to be about another 4 weeks still, it's a straight build from the factory. I'll post some pics once I get it. My wife bought a 2014 Fusion about 2 months ago and that is a great vehicle as well.

I have a basic 2WD SEL, 2011. Would've liked a few more goodies (sunroof, Sony audio, nav) but I'm pleased that there's less to go wrong, and no automatic slow doors or hot leather to deal with.

Ā 

The fuel mileage is better too, with the lighter FWD option - averaging 24MPG or so. Not so amazing in the winter, but hey, good tires and a smart driver and you'll get anywhere.

• Like 1

I guess that's why they make all the different models/option packages! Something for everybody. I sure like that Limited model described above in Platinum White with Sienna interior! That's purty! My only problem, no matter what model we're talking about, is learning to use all of the electronic goodies! I'm sure I will figure them out.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what all the trim levels offer but the profile settings for the seats and power mirrors is freaking amazing!! To top it off being able to program any key to the either profile also blew my mind.. same with the keypad.. I have my wifes key I can just enter my code or hit the button.. I actually read the manual front to back and I'm pretty sure there are some sales people who don't know some of these features and options. I LOVE the technology and gadgets of our limited even though it's a 2010. I also prefer the look and the layout of this year versus some of the newer years.. it's looks muddled and confusing.. ours also has the nice trim bezel around the gauges.. I'm REALLY loving this CUV!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted the bigger engine, panoramic, larger wheels, firmer ride, and disliked the chrome. I was concerned about losing some of the things i wanted when the 15s come out so figured the 13s already took the depreciation hit and gave me most of the newest technology. The sports stock features and audio are pretty sick. Finding that black sport pre-owned was the thrill of the hunt. I am on the road about 6-700 miles a week and this car makes the trips enjoyable. Love it

• Like 2

I went with 2013 SEL. I was quite disappointed that ambient lighting was not available on the 13 model but was on the 12 that I test drove. Wasn't even an option. Didn't know until I took delivery. Thought it was standard.

Ā 

Keyless entry is a must after having it on this vehicle. Didn't want sunroof or leather or tacky simulated wood grain trim. Sony stereo isn't worth the extra cost IMO.

Ā 

I swapped the wheels out for the ones from a limited. Hindsight, I would have liked the gold colored ones from the MKX

Ā 

Tow package and roof rails for future Sea-Doo purchase and NAV.

• 2 weeks later...

I got my 2012 SEL that is fully loaded so it is not to far from the Limited models that I was finding. Actually has more than the limited's like the Panoramic Sunroof and power lift gate. I was looking for a Limited but the dealer called and said they took this one in on a trade in. It had just under 11K on the odo so I couldn't turn it down. Paid just under 26K and is a CPO vehicle. It also has the EcoBoost and I couldn't be happier with how it performs. The only thing that I was really bummed about vs the Limited model was the sound system. I have already installed the Infinity 682.11cf speakers which made a big difference. I am installing a factory sub box and amplifiers so in the end, I should have a pretty good sounding system. So in the end, I am really happy with the SEL!

Ā 

Side%201.jpgInside%201.jpg

Edited by chipworkz
  • Like 3

We went with the SE with the convenience package. We figured out with the bigger packages that you dont get an upgrade of engine or any certain look besides the Sport so we stuck with the SE considering it had everything that we needed. Yes I would like to have the bigger wheels and all the bells and whistles but to us it was not worth the price difference.

• Like 1

08 SEL, here. Not overly loaded up, but far from base model. We have a slightly different color mix as we have the Graphite wheels instead of chrome or silver. Do have the cloth seats instead of leather, but negotiating with a fellow that has a full set of tan leather seating in almost new condition. Found a receiver hitch, recently, and I'm adding some other goodies to make our capabilities even better. Just love the way they made these vehicles!

Ā 

20131026_101920_zps63623e90.jpg

Edited by BergerKing
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I just went with the SE AWD model. I wasn't too interested in the bells and whistles and I knew I would be getting aftermarket rims in the future. This is a stock 2014 SE AWD with Ford Sync. The only upgrade I did was to the headlights via HID upgrade from xenon pro.com

Ā 

gallery_31460_642_783229.jpg

• Like 1

I went with the LImited for the tech goodies also. I choose to get 18" wheels and FWD for ride quality and gas milage. I didn't think the Limited was overloaded with chrome until everyone else starting say that. The chrom bit doesn't bother me. I also wanted the Limited because it was the "luxury" version. The wife and I knew we were going to expand the family at some point and wanted to have something comfortable and easy to clean. I honestly didn't see the MKX. If I did, I would have gotten that because of some extras that they Edge doesn't get. Still very happy with my Edge.

Ā 

If I got the Edge again, I would get the Vista roof.

• Like 1

Although it's been more than a couple of years ago for me, I chose the 2012 Limited. The 'base' model of the Limited had all the options I wanted. And I specifically did not want the panoramic roof or navigation. The only options mine came with were roof rails, and what I remember as the convenience option - which was remote start, and a few other nice to haves. I also was specific that it had to be Tri-Coat White with Sienna leather. Except for the 'shift to park' situation, it's been trouble free for almost 60,000 miles, and still get compliments on it.

• Like 1

Got a 2013 SEL FWD 2.0L EcoBoost in Ruby Red with 205A, Appearance Package, Vision Package, BAMR, NAV. Got a great deal on the 2013, buying it in July of 2014, including 0% financing for 72 months. It has almost everything the Limited has except less chrome and a body color grill.

Ā 

We call her Cheri and the ruby red paint is really gorgeous. My wife didn't want black leather seats due to legs sticking to them in summer, so the Stone inset Black leather on the Appearance Pack fit the bill perfectly. It also came with 20" wheels, I have since sold and replaced with TSW Nurburgring 20"x 9.5" using the stock Pirelli tires.

Ā 

The EcoBoost has great power but the mileage is a little disappointing, almost the same as the V6, especially around town. I love the BLIS and Rear Camera, my wife and German Shepherd Dog love the BAMR. The dog has taken over the back seat and love the A/C outlet back there. She was a major reason we bought the Edge in the first place. I have added a receiver hitch for our bike rack and small boat trailer.

Ā 

We have been on many weekender trips both with and without the dog, and this car just fits us. It has plenty of room for us up front, the dog in the middle and our stuff in the back. If I had to buy another vehicle to replace Cheri, I would get the same configuration except think hard about getting the V6. Not convinced the EB is worth the extra thousand bucks yet.

• Like 1

After considering the SE, SEL and Limited I went with a 2014 Limited in Ruby Red with AWD. The technology is neat. The navigation system works well. The limited trim level just made getting all the stuff I wanted an easy decision. From a value point of view I was impressed with the SE equipped with AWD. But in the end the technology won out.

• 4 weeks later...

I wanted something on the basic end. I drive an '04 F-150 XL at work, pretty much stripped except it has some chrome and fog lights.

I wanted a receiver for a bike rack and pull a small trailer for camp gear if I can get the girlfriend to buy-in to that. I'll have to start out easy (campground at the coast with facilities) and work her into it (usually do several days in the summer up in the mountains with my best friend and his family each summer). The tow package required the SEL trim which I'm pretty happy with. I also wanted AWD with the camping. We got caught in a little snow a few years back and that was interesting getting back to the highway over patches of snow on direct forest roads with my work truck. Plus I'd like to take the "just add water family" to the snow and what not to play. (I've never driven in the snow so that could be interesting but from what I've read on here the Edge is supposed to be great in the snow.)

• Like 1