Gas/Fuel Tank Leak

Beverly

My '08 Edge has been at the dealer since June 2nd and I'm sure I won't be hearing about a new tank any time soon yet. Question for others involved: have you asked for a new fuel pump to be installed with new tank? I asked my dealer to pre-order a Ford/OEM pump for mine. I have 100k on my old one and now is the time to replace it. I too will be glad to get mine back, but the '11 MKX/loaner car has been a nice replacement too.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello to all!

Just an update to my post..........recap.....2007 Edge...leaky gas tank...at the Ford Dealership since Nov. 3rd, 2014.....they gave me a loaner.....a new 2015 Ford Explorer.....I racked up 20, 000 km.

Just received a call from the dealership advising my 2007 Edge will be ready on Friday and will be given back to me with the following repairs in Canadian Dollars:

New Gas tank and fuel pump: Value $2,500

New Brakes, Rotors: Value $1,000

Brake Callipers Serviced: Value: $150

New Emergency Cables Value $200

New Battery: Value $200

New Engine and Transmission Fluids: Value: $200

Washed and detailed: Value: $125

Enterprise Loaner Rental: Value $7,000

Total: $11,375

My 2007 Ford Edge Mileage: 225,000 kms: Value: $10,000

Is this craziness or just good customer service!

• Like 3

I got my Edge back with new tank. It had been at the dealer since Nov 2014. I noticed that my brakes are making a funny noise, and I am having to push down quite a bit for the vehicle to stop. I brought this in to my garage and it looks like the material on the pads has pulled away. The mechanic mentioned that he has seen this with older pads. I plan on showing Ford. Has anybody else experienced issues with their vehicle sitting? Has Ford come forward with anything?

August 2014, I pulled into a Ford dealership with a major fuel leak on my 2007 Edge. Talked to the service guy who had me sit down at his desk to fill out paperwork. When he asked how bad it was leaking I looked on the floor in the service drive up and said looks like more than a gallon by now. I had only been there about 5 to 7 minutes. He jumped up and ran back into the bay to get someone immediately move my Edge back to a station in the service area. After a few hours I got the call that the fuel tank was rusted out with an expected cost of $3400. First thing I asked is "It's not a plastic fuel tank?" It took over a week to install a new tank. The dealership told me that Ford had asked for pictures of the fues tank. Two months later the recall was issued. Luckly I was reiembursed by for the repair by Ford. After reading this thread, I expect it to leak again as I think my Edge was replaced with the same model tank that has issues.

Z11Bu7x.jpg

T2rOdFw.jpg

Edited by Shoc

I got my Edge back with new tank. It had been at the dealer since Nov 2014. I noticed that my brakes are making a funny noise, and I am having to push down quite a bit for the vehicle to stop. I brought this in to my garage and it looks like the material on the pads has pulled away. The mechanic mentioned that he has seen this with older pads. I plan on showing Ford. Has anybody else experienced issues with their vehicle sitting? Has Ford come forward with anything?

So my Edge was sitting at the dealership since December 2014 and I also have brake/rotor issues that need to be addressed after also taking it to my regular mechanic once I got it back. It drives loud and brakes/rotors were replaced a few weeks before I brought to dealer for the recall... Unfortunately my vehicle was brought to a dealership an hour away (closest dealer) and sat out in their back lot for 3 months covered in salt before anything was done to it, so my mechanic also told me the underside has rusted quite a bit since he last serviced it.. I also had a bad fuel sensor upon return that my mechanic is fixing and a few other items. We've contacted Ford on these matters and they blamed the dealer and contacted the service manager and said the service manager would call us back... that was last week and the service manager has not contacted us to date and I'm guessing he won't.. I don't know how everyone else feels, but I feel if Ford can't step up and take care of the issues our vehicles have developed while sitting on their lots, why buy Ford again? We had been looking at getting into a new Ford F150 or Explorer but after this experience of Ford blaming the dealer, the dealer blaming Ford, makes me very uncomfortable dealing with them and their customer service ever again.. We had several issues early on getting into a decent rental (they gave us an old rust bucket for 1 month before we finally heard others were getting like/comparable vehicles and complained) so now the regional Ford rep won't even return our calls... so frustrating! My husband has been a Ford owner forever as has his family... may be time for a change after this one bad experience!~

You need to understand that Dealers are not Ford and Ford is not responsible for something your dealer did. There are state laws that prevent Ford from interfering in how the dealership operates. If you feel they did not store your vehicle properly then that's between you and the dealer, unfortunately. Ford can ask the dealer to help you but they have no legal way to force them, nor is it Ford's responsibility.

If you took your vehicle to the dealer for an oil change and they forgot to refill it with oil, do you still think Ford would be responsible for that? Of course not. Dealers are independent businesses protected by state franchise laws.

For what it's worth. I was a loyal Ford driver for years. A couple of years ago I moved back to the city from the country. Not having the space for all my toys I traded a Taurus and F150 for a new 2013 Chevy Malibu. In May of this year at 4938 miles I traded the Malibu for a 2013 Edge SE. I pumped four gallons of water out of the trunk of the Chevy when it opened up at night during a rain storm. It had a single click opener on the fob that would actuate when in your pocket. It was a nice car with all sort of options, but it was NOT a Ford. Nothing was in the same place nor did it work the same. So be careful and check things out before you leap away from Ford. My 2 cents worth.

Burke

First of all I'd like to ask a question I have a 2007 Ford edge and I'd like to know if anybody knows the requirements for the recall for the gas tank I had mine checked out at my mechanic and he said that indeed the gas tank is currently rusted and small amount of gasoline is leaking out I do currently have 258,000 km on my 2007 ends and was wondering if anybody knows requirements for mileage.?

• Like 1

First of all I'd like to ask a question I have a 2007 Ford edge and I'd like to know if anybody knows the requirements for the recall for the gas tank I had mine checked out at my mechanic and he said that indeed the gas tank is currently rusted and small amount of gasoline is leaking out I do currently have 258,000 km on my 2007 ends and was wondering if anybody knows requirements for mileage.?

There is no mileage limit. Check post #4 for the details of which vehicles are covered.

You are covered get her in the shop and get a new tank. The 2007 got some legs on her great to see the high mileage!!

You need to understand that Dealers are not Ford and Ford is not responsible for something your dealer did. There are state laws that prevent Ford from interfering in how the dealership operates. If you feel they did not store your vehicle properly then that's between you and the dealer, unfortunately. Ford can ask the dealer to help you but they have no legal way to force them, nor is it Ford's responsibility.

If you took your vehicle to the dealer for an oil change and they forgot to refill it with oil, do you still think Ford would be responsible for that? Of course not. Dealers are independent businesses protected by state franchise laws.

Because of these laws, you need to look to your state government for help. My father did that with a local Dodge dealer and when the state rep showed up, the dealership sat up and listened.

• Like 1

Hello just wondering if anyone is having this issue on the 2010 models. I'm not included in the recall and my tank is also leaking. The dealer says the cost could be 2000$ plus. I'm currently in a loaner car because gas fumes filled my garage and the interior of the car. No one seems to know when the tank will come in. This is very frustrating I have two small children and my double stroller and car seats don't fit well in this loaner.q Plus that's a lot of money to put out!!! I'm wondering if they ever switched the type of tank involved in the recall or maybe I'm the beginning of the next wave of recalls....no one at the dealership or customer service can answer this!

I am having trouble with with my 2010 MKX. I have contacted transport Canada and they are going to make an appt to inpsect the vehicle. I encourage you to do the same.

i haven't been here for a few months, i finally got my tank put on in april. (after it sat at the dealer for months) which i never would have done, but the dealer would NOT release my car to me!! if you have had a new tank put in, don't get too comfy, got a call from the dealer that put the tank in. Had to have a second tank put in. half way home, gas gage goes to empty and my low fuel notice came on!! now i hve to take it back AGAIN. Stopped and put 20.00 in, still reads empty. I am fit to be tied.

took my edge back in today after the fuel gage went to empty and notice of low fuel came up,,just a few minutes down the road after the dealer put the second fuel tank in. now the pump went on it. dealer couldn't get ahold of Ford to see if they would give them the go ahead to put in new pump. I am at wits end with this whole thing. fuel tank recalled in dec., dealer wouldn't release my car to me due to it having a leak,,sat at the dealer for 4 months in winter weather. I get the car back in april with new tank,,i thought we were all good,,but no such luck.. they had to replace the tank a second time. now there is even a question whether the pump is replaced, the thing was fine , never had an issue with the pump, now 10 min down the road after second tank was replaced, it goes!!!!! my bp has been out the roof the last 2 days,

took my edge back in today after the fuel gage went to empty and notice of low fuel came up,,just a few minutes down the road after the dealer put the second fuel tank in. now the pump went on it. dealer couldn't get ahold of Ford to see if they would give them the go ahead to put in new pump. I am at wits end with this whole thing. fuel tank recalled in dec., dealer wouldn't release my car to me due to it having a leak,,sat at the dealer for 4 months in winter weather. I get the car back in april with new tank,,i thought we were all good,,but no such luck.. they had to replace the tank a second time. now there is even a question whether the pump is replaced, the thing was fine , never had an issue with the pump, now 10 min down the road after second tank was replaced, it goes!!!!! my bp has been out the roof the last 2 days,

I feel your pain! My car sat at the dealer from December until the beginning of August... also in the winter weather, covered in salt after I drove it on salt covered highways an hour away (closest dealer).. As soon as I got it back the valve for the fuel sensor failed. Had corroded and wouldn't open/close as it was supposed to. Dealer service department has NOT called us back so we are on our own going through our normal mechanic to repair. We have that, brakes and rotors were corroded so I'm currently having the rotors cut down and brake pads replaced at my expense (ruined since they were covered in salt on dealers lot from December and they did not wash nor store, nor could I take to do so). My mechanic also stated the rust underneath my car is unbelievable since he last serviced right before I brought it to the dealer for the recall... I loved my car, but now I also am just extremely frustrated... worried about what else will come from my car sitting for 7 months covered in salt on a gravel lot with no maintenance/care. Poor Edge.... :(

our car sat at the dealer from dec through april. that was the first tank. couple weeks ago, get a call from the dealer that ford wants them to put a second tank on. I a bout flipped. my car sat out all winter covered with snow and ice and we have had all kinds of problems ever since. now after the second tank was put in, I was driving home and the fuel pump went. took it back the next day, and it took the dealer two days to get ahold of ford to give them the go ahead and replace the pump. I am still without my car again. this whole thing is a joke. I knew after the car sat out all winter that things would go wrong, especially out in the weather. never buying another ford that is for sure